Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 - ATSC/OTA Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
511 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:02 PM

All the discussion on the activation, and the FAQ/Setup thread.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=71203

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:08 AM

Bump

well when you said wait a few days i decided not to buy that seperate receiver. Hopefully sw load will arrive in raleigh before the weekend. Thanx for the hints Earl :-)

#3 OFFLINE   Strejcek

Strejcek

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:10 AM

Earl said it will be an extended rollout. God I hope it is not going to be as extended as the 6.3 update for the HR10. Earl any news as to if the rollout is going to be painfully slow like the HR10?

(1) TiVo Premiere XL & (1) TiVo Premiere; FIOS TV subscriber; Mitsubishi WD-73927; Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-25

Silence, it's wierd.....like a first date. A tribute to HDTVsportsfan :)

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:11 AM

Earl said it will be an extended rollout. God I hope it is not going to be as extended as the 6.3 update for the HR10. Earl any news as to if the rollout is going to be painfully slow like the HR10?

It is going to be SLOW at first, then move quickly after that. I don't expect it to take as long as 6.3 did for the HR10
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Strejcek

Strejcek

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:12 AM

I hope so, took me 6 weeks to get HR10 update.

(1) TiVo Premiere XL & (1) TiVo Premiere; FIOS TV subscriber; Mitsubishi WD-73927; Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-25

Silence, it's wierd.....like a first date. A tribute to HDTVsportsfan :)

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:14 AM

I hope so, took me 6 weeks to get HR10 update.

Heck... hopefully in 6 weeks we get another release, with some other new features... :)

:backtotop
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   CUIllini

CUIllini

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:40 AM

Heck... hopefully in 6 weeks we get another release, with some other new features... :)

:backtotop

Earl, since we are geographically close, and I am new to the world of D* DVR, can you give me an idea how long it has taken past slow rollouts to reach the midwest? Not looking for precision, just a guide. No MPEG4 in CU, so I'm excited to receive the new release.

Thanks!

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:41 AM

Earl, since we are geographically close, and I am new to the world of D* DVR, can you give me an idea how long it has taken past slow rollouts to reach the midwest? Not looking for precision, just a guide. No MPEG4 in CU, so I'm excited to receive the new release.

Thanks!

This release is going to be a little longer then past ones, but you probably have it in ~ a week. Hopefully, comes Monday I'll be able to narrow it down some... but no promises
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#9 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:50 AM

Is "Info" going to tell me I am good to go for OTA -- or should I watch the Blue Eye brightness to tell me I've received an update?

[After Earl answered] -- I shouldn't post till thoroughly awake. Of course, this takes another Update and all the usual conditions prevail. Duh!

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:53 AM

Is "Info" going to tell me I am good to go for OTA -- or should I watch the Blue Eye brightness to tell me I've received an update?

Only if you are in the initial set for 0x104

Let's keep this thread about the OTA feature, and not "when we all get it"

Be sure to check the release notes, there are several "other" things that where updated/changed with this release.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#11 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:18 AM

Can any comparisons be made, to those who have it, as to the tuner sensativity? I always noticed my H20's turner was better than my HR10's (fewer pixilations, close towers the antenna was not directly pointed toward came in on the H20 that did not on the HR10).
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#12 OFFLINE   EMoMoney

EMoMoney

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:28 AM

One quick question. With my HR10-250 I only had 2 cable runs and used a diplexer, and I understand that I need a dedicated line for the HR20. My question is can I use a splitter on the OTA line and run one to the HR10 upstairs and run one line downstairs to the HR20? Or will this make the signals too weak?

#13 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:32 AM

Earl,

This may have been answered elsewhere, but do you know which ATSC chip the HR20 has? It is the same as the H20 which was rumored to be the 5th gen LG chip.

Thanks.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#14 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:33 AM

One quick question. With my HR10-250 I only had 2 cable runs and used a diplexer, and I understand that I need a dedicated line for the HR20. My question is can I use a splitter on the OTA line and run one to the HR10 upstairs and run one line downstairs to the HR20? Or will this make the signals too weak?

I am doing this (my HR20 is all ready for OTA activation!) because that's what I did when my H20 was where my HR20 now is. It worked fine. No loss of signal.
--Cap

TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,046 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:40 AM

So, if I want OTA on 2 HR20s, then is that 4 runs? Or can you not record 2 OTAs at the same time?

I'm sorry, I'm new to OTA and my Pop is now interested in OTA because of PQ.

#16 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:40 AM

Can any comparisons be made, to those who have it, as to the tuner sensativity? I always noticed my H20's turner was better than my HR10's (fewer pixilations, close towers the antenna was not directly pointed toward came in on the H20 that did not on the HR10).

I'm very interested in this as well. The OTA tuner on the HR10 stunk, so I hope the one on the HR20 is much better.

#17 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:41 AM

Earl,

This may have been answered elsewhere, but do you know which ATSC chip the HR20 has? It is the same as the H20 which was rumored to be the 5th gen LG chip.

Thanks.

I don't know what is underneath those silver casings.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:42 AM

So, if I want OTA on 2 HR20s, then is that 4 runs? Or can you not record 2 OTAs at the same time?

I'm sorry, I'm new to OTA and my Pop is now interested in OTA because of PQ.

1 single input for the OTA... it internall splits the OTA.
You can record 2 ota's at once.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#19 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:45 AM

I don't know what is underneath those silver casings.

Why not? ::hands Earl a screwdriver and a pliers::
--Cap

TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,046 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:45 AM

1 single input for the OTA... it internall splits the OTA.
You can record 2 ota's at once.

Thanks Earl.
We have an old school attic antenna that's UHF-VHF that we're assuming will let us see what we pick up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...