Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 - ATSC/OTA Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
511 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   gb33

gb33

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:12 AM

Then, can you drop the coax inside the wall to the HR20? Keeps everything neat (my wife appreciates that aspect). Or down an inside wall to crawlspace/basement and come back up into HR20?

Cheers,
Tom

Oh trust me I do all I can to keep my "goodies" in line so it is okay to her. She has trouble enough with the tiny Sirius antenna on top of the tv. Unfortunately I have also tried this. However I have vaulted ceilings in my LR and it is a VERY tight squeeze up there between rafters and roof. I CANNOT get close enough to the wall to do this I tried snaking up from bottom and grabbing it up there as well, but no luck. My best option would be popping out the soffit and getting at it that way, but that isn't all that easy or fun. I just know it is visible because I had a repair in soffit I did earlier in the year.
I will try inside antenna for now as it is just one VHF channel I need and I am not all too far from towers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Slip Jigs

Slip Jigs

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

I'm mostly satisfied with the local channels over the dish, so I'm trying to figure out how much effort I'm willing to put into getting OTA working. I currently have the indoor rabbit ears with the UHF loop, but it doesn't cut it.

1. Is the OTA signal compressed (such as MPEG 4), or is there some other format used that usually provides a slightly better PQ than sat MPEG 4?
2. Does the 5LNB dish include support of any time for an OTA antenna? Something perhaps like an add-on and/or make use of existing cabling?

Basically, if I have to install an outside antenna, run cable and switches or boxes or splitters or whatever-plexors it won't be worth it. TIA!

#183 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

I'm mostly satisfied with the local channels over the dish, so I'm trying to figure out how much effort I'm willing to put into getting OTA working. I currently have the indoor rabbit ears with the UHF loop, but it doesn't cut it.

1. Is the OTA signal compressed (such as MPEG 4), or is there some other format used that usually provides a slightly better PQ than sat MPEG 4?
2. Does the 5LNB dish include support of any time for an OTA antenna? Something perhaps like an add-on and/or make use of existing cabling?

Basically, if I have to install an outside antenna, run cable and switches or boxes or splitters or whatever-plexors it won't be worth it. TIA!

1) Sure it's compressed, every signal is. How much depends on your local stations. My CBS for example has bad HD OTA because it has 2 subchannels and bit starves it's HD. But OTA is generaly accepted as better quality/PQ. It's the best you can get. In my market OTA and MPEG4 from D* is pretty close. If you are satisfied with what you get from D* then I wouldn't worry about OTA unless you want the subchannels or others not available via D*.

2) No. You need to run OTA via it's own cable to your antenna.

#184 OFFLINE   nocaster

nocaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:08 PM

Basically, the signal you get OTA is as good as it's going to get...and it is outstanding. ATSC uses MPEG-2 for compression. There are probably more channels available in your area via OTA than what D* sends you over the SAT. Also, there is something satisfying about recieving a beautiful HD picture with the same antennas that my Dad and Grandfather used to get snowy pictures 30 years ago.

#185 OFFLINE   Bad Rex

Bad Rex

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

If you are satisfied with what you get from D* then I wouldn't worry about OTA unless you want the subchannels or others not available via D*.

I would say this is really the major factor: What do you want to watch?
If you're already getting it via 5LNB, and OTA is a hassle to set up, forget about it! But if there's quality programming you are missing without OTA and it's not likely to be added to D* anytime soon, you might want to give OTA a shot.

There's a little Bad Rex in all of us.

#186 OFFLINE   forklifter

forklifter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

Just curious if I sign up for locals on my cable company can I hook up my HR20 to cable.

#187 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

I've noticed Antennaweb.org really lacking of late. Today it didn't meniton most of the stations I get strong and with regularity. It doesn't know others have gone digital.

It's the database it is using. Many stations went to full power in late summer and this hasn't been fully included in the database.

#188 OFFLINE   Bad Rex

Bad Rex

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:32 PM

Just curious if I sign up for locals on my cable company can I hook up my HR20 to cable.

No. Cable channels require a QAM tuner. The HR20's is ATSC.

There's a little Bad Rex in all of us.

#189 OFFLINE   DeanS

DeanS

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:57 PM

As an L.A. HR20 owner with OTA now enabled, I have a question:

Last night I had both satellite tuners recording programs at the same time (My Name is Earl and Survivor). While this recording was happening I decided to watch a third, previously recorded program from my program list at the same time, - no problem, as usual.

I then decided to experiment and stopped the previous recorded program, went to the program guide and selected an OTA channel. I got the standard screen showing the two programs I set up recording and asking which one I wanted to cancel. I thought the OTA tuners were "independent" and that I would be able to watch live on at least one of the two OTA tuners while the satellite tuners were occupied. Am I missing something?

#190 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:59 PM

I thought the OTA tuners were "independent" and that I would be able to watch live on at least one of the two OTA tuners while the satellite tuners were occupied. Am I missing something?

The OTA tuners are not independent. You can only have a total of two tuners active at one time, period.

#191 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:01 PM

As an L.A. HR20 owner with OTA now enabled, I have a question:

Last night I had both satellite tuners recording programs at the same time (My Name is Earl and Survivor). While this recording was happening I decided to watch a third, previously recorded program from my program list at the same time, - no problem, as usual.

I then decided to experiment and stopped the previous recorded program, went to the program guide and selected an OTA channel. I got the standard screen showing the two programs I set up recording and asking which one I wanted to cancel. I thought the OTA tuners were "independent" and that I would be able to watch live on at least one of the two OTA tuners while the satellite tuners were occupied. Am I missing something?

It can only do two streams at once. So to watch an OTA it would need to cancel one of the sat recordings. This is no different then the HD-DirecTivo or any of the SD DirecTivo's, only 2 streams at once (and watch a 3rd recorded).

This isn't directed at you personally, but I'm not quite sure why so many people are having trouble with this concept, it's one that we've lived with for years and is nothing new. :D ;)

#192 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:03 PM

I'm not quite sure why so many people are having trouble with this concept, it's one that we've lived with for years and is nothing new. :D ;)

Many people have not lived with it for years. The HR20 is the first HDDVR for quite a few people around here, myself included.

#193 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:05 PM

Many people have not lived with it for years. The HR20 is the first HDDVR for quite a few people around here, myself included.

It's my first HD-DVR as well but the regular DirecTivo's that have been around for 5 years are the same way, record 2/watch a third.

Anyway, wasn't meaning to put anyone down but the HR20 is no different in technology in this way.

#194 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

The OTA tuners are not independent. You can only have a total of two tuners active at one time, period.

one thing the other poster could do is spit out his OTA cable to his hr-20 and to the back of his television. Then on the rare occasion when he needs to view three programs he could watch one going thru his tv (of course you wouldn`t have and ff, replay or other dvr functions. and record the other two channels for later viewing via the hr-20

#195 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

one thing the other poster could do is spit out his OTA cable to his hr-20 and to the back of his television.

If his TV has an ATSC tuner, yes.

#196 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:11 PM

If his TV has an ATSC tuner, yes.

correct, I forgot to mention that, thanks

#197 OFFLINE   Angelus7310

Angelus7310

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

Quick question from a long time lurker (at least since the HR20 was available.) I purchased the OTA antenna from D* when I began service with them. It appears to be a multidirectional UHF antenna mounted on the roof near the dish. Is this antenna any good? Or should I make the trek out to my local Radio Shack and pick up a different antenna. BTW I still have a few days till OTA gets activated way up here in the boonies, so I can't test anything just yet.

#198 OFFLINE   rhweimer

rhweimer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:49 PM

It's my first HD-DVR as well but the regular DirecTivo's that have been around for 5 years are the same way, record 2/watch a third.

Anyway, wasn't meaning to put anyone down but the HR20 is no different in technology in this way.

Could be because the HR20 manual says you can do it!:hurah:
Mitsubishi 55" WS-55907
HR20-700 0x0342
Seagate 500G ESATA
Tversity
4DTV DSR920 with HD Decoder
Zektor 4 in 1 out HD Switch
Panasonic RP91 DVD
Yahama RX-V800
JVC HM-DH30000U HD VCR
MYHD MDP-100 PC Card
Key Digital KD-SW2X1 HD Switch
MX-850 Remote
H20-100 0x407A

ILO LCT27HA36 27" LCD
VOD

#199 OFFLINE   iacas

iacas

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

one thing the other poster could do is spit out his OTA cable to his hr-20 and to the back of his television. Then on the rare occasion when he needs to view three programs he could watch one going thru his tv (of course you wouldn`t have and ff, replay or other dvr functions. and record the other two channels for later viewing via the hr-20

I nominate that for inclusion in Craig's HR20 Tips and Tricks document. I'd include it in my Troubleshooting document but... it's not troubleshooting! :)
Erik J. Barzeski
Personal Blog | Golf Site

My Equipment:
HR20 hooked to Sony 60" HDTV, Pittsburgh Locals, HD Package
HR21 hooked to a Vizio 37" HDTV in the bedroom[/size]

#200 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,588 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:47 PM

Quick question from a long time lurker (at least since the HR20 was available.) I purchased the OTA antenna from D* when I began service with them. It appears to be a multidirectional UHF antenna mounted on the roof near the dish. Is this antenna any good? Or should I make the trek out to my local Radio Shack and pick up a different antenna. BTW I still have a few days till OTA gets activated way up here in the boonies, so I can't test anything just yet.

Have you used this antenna yet? If it receives your local digital TV channels, then it's fine. Otherwise just wait to try it with your HR20 when OTA is activated. Antenna selection is more art than science. Check out Earl's thread at the top of this Forum for the best antenna selection resources at AVS Forum.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...