Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 - ATSC/OTA Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
511 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

But after the new HR20 installed, with a new Zinwell 4x8, and new lines laid, I used the same basic setup to deliver the signal to the HR20 in the fam. room, and the other signal the to 10-250 now back in the bedroom.

It is a Zinwell WB68 (6x8) and it will not behave with diplexers. The new 5LNB layout clobbers some of the OTA TV band.

Do a search for "diplexing".

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#502 OFFLINE   jpoet

jpoet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

My Mom has an OTA antenna hooked up to her HR-20. Everything is configured just fine, and we can watch the OTA channels. The guide is populated and we can see what is on our PBS-HD, CBS-HD channels, etc.

However, Searching does not work. Here in Albuquerque our CBS station is owned by LIN, which means you cannot get the HD feed any way except OTA. If I do a search for "NFL Football" it finds all the games on all the satellite channels, but does not find the games on our CBS station, even though they do show up in the guide.

Did I miss a step setting up the antenna channels?

Thanks,

John

#503 OFFLINE   bobbyv

bobbyv

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationEdmond, Oklahoma

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

Man . . . I just upgraded to an HR20-700S a couple of weeks ago and was hoping to get an HD antenna connected relatively easily. It sounds like I'll need to mount one on the roof and run a dedicated line . . . but with my farthest DT station only being 15 miles away does anyone think an indoor antenna would work?

Thanks.

Bobby

#504 OFFLINE   Goober

Goober

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

Man . . . I just upgraded to an HR20-700S a couple of weeks ago and was hoping to get an HD antenna connected relatively easily. It sounds like I'll need to mount one on the roof and run a dedicated line . . . but with my farthest DT station only being 15 miles away does anyone think an indoor antenna would work?

Thanks.

Bobby

It very likely will. I'm running a -100 with the small whip antenna that should mount to the input for the RF remote function (the 700's antenna is internal, while the 100 requires an external antenna) attached to my OTA input and am getting my OTA stations just fine. Mine are all about 12 miles away, and if you end up putting a real OTA antenna on yours, you'll probably get everything just fine. My setup is in my 1st floor living room, and we've got plenty of trees.
Slimline AU-9 antenna
Samsung 5085W 50" DLP with D* HR24-500 with SWM-8
Sony 27" Wega with D* D11-100
Samsung 27" LCD with D* H24-100

#505 OFFLINE   bobbyv

bobbyv

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

It very likely will. I'm running a -100 with the small whip antenna that should mount to the input for the RF remote function (the 700's antenna is internal, while the 100 requires an external antenna) attached to my OTA input and am getting my OTA stations just fine. Mine are all about 12 miles away, and if you end up putting a real OTA antenna on yours, you'll probably get everything just fine. My setup is in my 1st floor living room, and we've got plenty of trees.

I bought a Philips Mant940 and it picked up 25 or so stations with signal strengths ranging from 67%-83% with the antenna sitting on my computer desk on the back end of my house (about as far away from the signals as I can get).

The stations I can get are actually pretty decent. I'll probably move it to the outside and see how that improves things. The antenna came with a small signal booster, but I might see how a different can improve things.

:D

This forum is full of great information. Thanks.

#506 OFFLINE   jpoet

jpoet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

My Mom has an OTA antenna hooked up to her HR-20. Everything is configured just fine, and we can watch the OTA channels. The guide is populated and we can see what is on our PBS-HD, CBS-HD channels, etc.

However, Searching does not work. Here in Albuquerque our CBS station is owned by LIN, which means you cannot get the HD feed any way except OTA. If I do a search for "NFL Football" it finds all the games on all the satellite channels, but does not find the games on our CBS station, even though they do show up in the guide.

Did I miss a step setting up the antenna channels?

Thanks,

John

So, do searched return results on OTA channels for everyone else, or is this a known bug?

Thanks,

John

#507 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:49 AM

It sounds like I'll need to mount one on the roof and run a dedicated line . . . but with my farthest DT station only being 15 miles away does anyone think an indoor antenna would work?

That's kinda like me asking you what my view of the mountains is like.

Without knowing your terrain and whether the stations are all broadcasting from one place or many, it is exceedingly difficult to tell.

If http://www.antennaweb.org says it doesn't take much of antenna, you might be okay with an indoor antenna (assuming you don't place it in a below grade basement). Remember to select "Show Digital Stations only" when you get the station listing.

#508 OFFLINE   bobbyv

bobbyv

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

That's kinda like me asking you what my view of the mountains is like.

Without knowing your terrain and whether the stations are all broadcasting from one place or many, it is exceedingly difficult to tell.

If http://www.antennaweb.org says it doesn't take much of antenna, you might be okay with an indoor antenna (assuming you don't place it in a below grade basement). Remember to select "Show Digital Stations only" when you get the station listing.

All ready taken care of . . . and it didn't take much of an antenna. :D

#509 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:09 PM

Any suggstions on the best way to hanlde multipath on the HR20 with a weak/moderate signal? I am only ~20 miles from Atlanta, but have a 600-700 ft mountain/hill in the line of site about 1-2 miles away. I have a 4228 antenna on the roof and added a 7777 pre amp but I still get variable signals on some channels. I suspect multipath and less than optimum signal to noise ratio. My Sammy DLP set does a better job of handling the signal than does the HR20's tuner. Any suggestion on how to help the HR20 out? Variable attenuator perhaps?

#510 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:12 PM

Any suggstions on the best way to hanlde multipath on the HR20 with a weak/moderate signal? I am only ~20 miles from Atlanta, but have a 600-700 ft mountain/hill in the line of site about 1-2 miles away. I have a 4228 antenna on the roof and added a 7777 pre amp but I still get variable signals on some channels. I suspect multipath and less than optimum signal to noise ratio. My Sammy DLP set does a better job of handling the signal than does the HR20's tuner. Any suggestion on how to help the HR20 out? Variable attenuator perhaps?

You could try a CM 3022. They have a narrower beam width and greater gain than the 4228, but you might have a problem with stations beyond a 30 degree beam width. If that's a problem, you could use them both pointed in different directions(with separate feed lines only!) and switch back and forth with one of those little, inexpensive 2-way slide switches you can still buy at Radio Shack. They even carry IR remote control coax switches. I tested them both, and the insertion loss is negligible.

Be careful with those antenna amplifiers. They are subject to "front end overload" from nearby transmitters, and the result is NO ATSC picture at all on only certain channels.

All that being said, the HR20's have a set of poor OTA tuners, and many people have problems with certain channels that any H20-600 or new TV has no problem with. See also this thread: Trouble With OTA Reception - HR20-700
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#511 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

You could try a CM 3022. ....

See also this thread: Trouble With OTA Reception - HR20-700

I bought the CM3022 and CM7777 and have had great results 57 miles out from Chicago.

The link you gave to solid signal is the one to use.

- Craig

#512 OFFLINE   gnohra

gnohra

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:00 PM

I see from a December '06 post that the ability to manually add OTA channels to the HR20 is something that may or may not be added in a software update - does anyone know the correct method to let Directv know that there's a mistake in the channels listed for my zip? They show the guide programming on 29-1 that should appear on 29-2, but don't show 29-2 at all.

**edit** nevermind I found thread #85879

Thanks.

GN

Protected By... spam firewall...And...