Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 - ATSC/OTA Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
511 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   hitdog042

hitdog042

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

Has anyone other than Earl actually received this? I'm in Ohio, still grayed out.

Just curious.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   gusbuf

gusbuf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:41 AM

What about spliiting the Antenna signal between the HR-20 and also directly into my TV's antenna input? Will that degrade either picture? I have a Sony KDS60A2000 and the OTA HD picture is amazing with my DB4 antenna. I would like the option of watching OTA through the HR20 or the TV directly. Any thoughts?

Also, for those of you who have OTA activated already, how good does the internal tuner seem to be? Is your signal strong across all available OTA HD channels? How's the picture so far through the OTA input? Thanks!

#43 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,907 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

What about spliiting the Antenna signal between the HR-20 and also directly into my TV's antenna input? Will that degrade either picture? I have a Sony KDS60A2000 and the OTA HD picture is amazing with my DB4 antenna. I would like the option of watching OTA through the HR20 or the TV directly. Any thoughts?

Also, for those of you who have OTA activated already, how good does the internal tuner seem to be? Is your signal strong across all available OTA HD channels? How's the picture so far through the OTA input? Thanks!

A split is a split is a split, it doesn't matter WHAT it's being split to. I'm splitting mine:

HR20
TV
Panasonic DVD/Hard Disk Recorder

I listed my signal strengths on my Sammy TV in another post. If your signal is good enough to begin with, then you can split 2 or 3 times with nothing more than a passive splitter. See my other post in this thread.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#44 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,907 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

Has anyone other than Earl actually received this? I'm in Ohio, still grayed out.

Just curious.

Only the West coast has it at this time. It's being rolled out slowly. Earl is the exception in the midwest. It looks like Monday or so for the midwest/east coast. The roll out is deliberately slow so they can gather some data, without being overwhelmed and having to do a national retraction.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#45 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

Just curious.

"Extended Staggered Rollout: Small subset of users first (mostly Pacific Timezone), then a gradual increaes of the user base. primarily by timezones. Being that this is such a large release, it make take several days for everyone to receive the update. Please don't ask why you don't have the update, unless you see an update that the release has gone national; and you don't have the release yet."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#46 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:48 AM

Just curious.

There have been a couple
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=72264
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=72263

Check the "release note" discussion thread.
This is an "extended staggard" release, it will take a few days for everyone to get it.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:49 AM

Earl, Is this the permanent total or will they be working to get the box to match the manual, and eventually we will be able to record 2 +1OTA?

I wouldn't count on it any time soon, if ever with this system.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   nocaster

nocaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:52 AM

Has anyone been able to compare the HR-20 ATSC tuner with the H20? I have both (for a couple more days anyway). The tuner in the H20 is rock solid and I was just wondering if the HR20 could be even better.

I'll have to say that the integration of OTA with the H10 and H20 works really well and I can't wait to have the added capability of a DVR with OTA (I don't have the new software yet). The fact that these recievers take two fundamentally different signals and integrate them seamlessly in the quide has always been impressive to me. When D* can add more bandwidth next year, get a few more bugs worked out, and finally add more HD channels the HR-20 should be quite a nice box.

#49 OFFLINE   krkeeton

krkeeton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

I know that you can only record two programs at once. I have read that. However, can you, for instasnce, watch something on the OTA tuner while recording 2 programs on the satellite tuners?

I am sorry if it is the same question as recording. I was just not sure how the technology worked. Thanks for any response.

#50 OFFLINE   jforgione

jforgione

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

Earl - I currently have a 3lnb dish and have a diplex on one of the feeds which currently splits my antenna feed into the TV with the other end going into the SAT HR20. The release discussion indicates that it is not recommended to diplex the signal.

Can you explain why it is not recommended to diplex the signal and what will happen if you do? I'd rather not have to run a separate line from the antenna down to the box if I don't need to.

#51 OFFLINE   mikhu

mikhu

Beer Aficionado

• Registered
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:06 AM

Has anyone been able to compare the HR-20 ATSC tuner with the H20? I have both (for a couple more days anyway). The tuner in the H20 is rock solid and I was just wondering if the HR20 could be even better.

I'll have to say that the integration of OTA with the H10 and H20 works really well and I can't wait to have the added capability of a DVR with OTA (I don't have the new software yet). The fact that these recievers take two fundamentally different signals and integrate them seamlessly in the quide has always been impressive to me. When D* can add more bandwidth next year, get a few more bugs worked out, and finally add more HD channels the HR-20 should be quite a nice box.

Yes, the ATSC tuner in the H10 I have was rock solid! I'm hoping they used the same tuner in the HR20.

#52 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,907 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:07 AM

I still think the answer is the same, no, for the reasons I put in the last post. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am. It's just a limitation of the HR20 as currently configured.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#53 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:17 AM

Earl - I currently have a 3lnb dish and have a diplex on one of the feeds which currently splits my antenna feed into the TV with the other end going into the SAT HR20. The release discussion indicates that it is not recommended to diplex the signal.

Can you explain why it is not recommended to diplex the signal and what will happen if you do? I'd rather not have to run a separate line from the antenna down to the box if I don't need to.

It is not recommended, once you go to a 5LNB system.
The signals from the newest sats (the KA ones), want to work in the same frequency spectrum as the diplexed OTA antenna.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#54 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:24 AM

Oh, I so HOPE this is the release that changes my attitude!

Anyway, question here....the local PBS station is in the process of changing its subchannels. We expect that on Jan. 1 they will shift from the current format (two subchannels) to three or four. When that happens do we know if the HR20 will automatically find them, or do we need to do a new setup, or is there simply a function to rescan for channels?

#55 OFFLINE   RxMan1

RxMan1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:24 AM

Sorry for straying a bit, this is OTA discussion, right?

I have an HR10-250 and HR20-700 right next to each other in my component closet. I have one line coming down from my antenna to my HR10-250. Could I split it right there and run a short piece to the HR20-700 or would it be better to split it closer to the attic antenna and run the lines down from there?

I hope the OTA tuner in the HR20 is better than the HR10!

#56 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:29 AM

I have an HR10-250 and HR20-700 right next to each other in my component closet. I have one line coming down from my antenna to my HR10-250. Could I split it right there and run a short piece to the HR20-700 or would it be better to split it closer to the attic antenna and run the lines down from there?

Split it close to the HR20.
If your signal is not strong then you may need to install a preamp at the antenna to overcome all the splits. The signal at each tuner will only be 25% of your original signal (50% loss in the splitter, then 50% again in the internal splitters of the Hr10 and the HR20)
If the Hr20 tuner is the same as the one in the H20 then it is MUCH better than the HR10!!

#57 OFFLINE   mikhu

mikhu

Beer Aficionado

• Registered
  • 1,682 posts

You can do that assuming you have a strong enough signal. I have a passive splitter behind my HDTV. One run goes to the TV and one goes to the HR20. Works just fine. Well, it worked fine on the H10 and HR10 anyway, as well as the HDTV. Assuming it's going to work fine on the HR20 when we get it here.

#58 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,907 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Split it where the two receivers are located...you don't gain anything by splitting up top and it's much more convenient to split at the equipment.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#59 OFFLINE   RxMan1

RxMan1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. :)

#60 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

It is not recommended, once you go to a 5LNB system.
The signals from the newest sats (the KA ones), want to work in the same frequency spectrum as the diplexed OTA antenna.

Diplexing will work today but as soon as DirecTV 10 and 11 launch next year they will transmit in the Ka-lo band and that overlaps OTA so at that point the diplexing will fail. There is a potential workaround by relocating the b-band converters so they are on the dish side of the diplexer but if you can you should run a separate cable, it will make things much easier (and will also give you a stronger OTA signal than any diplexing scheme).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...