Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 - ATSC/OTA Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
511 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   EMoMoney

EMoMoney

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:48 AM

That only depends on one thing: is the signal strong enough in the first place?

On my HR10-250 I was getting a solid 95 on BAC, 92 on CBS and WB, 71 on FOX. The only channel I have problems with is NBC. I can't seem to get a solid signal on all 4 at the same time. If I turn my antenna to get a solid signal on NBC, I lose ABC.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   nocaster

nocaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:53 AM

Oh, I so HOPE this is the release that changes my attitude!

Anyway, question here....the local PBS station is in the process of changing its subchannels. We expect that on Jan. 1 they will shift from the current format (two subchannels) to three or four. When that happens do we know if the HR20 will automatically find them, or do we need to do a new setup, or is there simply a function to rescan for channels?

I hate to bear bad news, but the PBS affiliate in Oklahoma did this a couple months ago. They no longer carry the national 24/7 HD broadcast. This might not happen to you, but it seems to be following the same pattern. One of the subs is PBS Kids. You will have to reconfigure your OTA setup when this happens. They won't appear in the guide automatically.

#63 OFFLINE   jdoug

jdoug

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:01 AM

How is HR20 OTA tuner better than HR10? I have an HR10 and have pretty bad multipath problems, especially after the leaves drop. When leaves are up and no wind it works great. But, with strong wind in summer, or any wind in winter I have problems on both FOX and CBS (or course the only 2 I don't have waivers for and also are not available locally via satellite).

Any chance mutipath problems are less likely with HR20 than HR10?

#64 OFFLINE   gonzlobo

gonzlobo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:03 AM

There is a TOTAL NET: of 2 recordings at a time.

1 SAT
1 OTA
1 SAT - 1 OTA
2 SAT
2 OTA

Ok, I understand we can only record on 2 channels simultaneously, but can we watch 1 OTA & record 2 SATs (or any other combination)?

#65 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:04 AM

Ok, I understand we can only record on 2 channels simultaneously, but can we watch 1 OTA & record 2 SATs (or any other combination)?

No. The unit can only tune 2 channels at once... regardless of source.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#66 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:06 AM

Don't think so because in the end, you only have 2 tuners. You can combine them for recording any way you want, but you only have 2 tuners. Therefore when 2 tuners are being used to record, you have to watch something from your list.

EDIT: - woops sorry Earl. I got tossed right when I saw your reply (must be busy here today :) )

#67 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:08 AM

How is HR20 OTA tuner better than HR10? I have an HR10 and have pretty bad multipath problems, especially after the leaves drop. When leaves are up and no wind it works great. But, with strong wind in summer, or any wind in winter I have problems on both FOX and CBS (or course the only 2 I don't have waivers for and also are not available locally via satellite).

Please, Please, Please....

Can someone do a compare to the HR10-250? I would like to think that this ATSC tuner is better than that one.

#68 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

Can someone do a compare to the HR10-250? I would like to think that this ATSC tuner is better than that one.

You are going to have to wait till the user base increases.
I can't really "compare" to my HR10-250... as I get the same number of channels.

I could get VHF-3 with the HR10-250, nor with the HR20.
On a "good day" I could get it on the H20, but that was really hit or miss.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#69 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:14 AM

How about comparing the tuner of the H20-600 vs the HR20. I've been very satisfied with the tuner in my H20-600. I hope the HR20 tuner will be just as good.
1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#70 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:20 AM

You are going to have to wait till the user base increases.
I can't really "compare" to my HR10-250... as I get the same number of channels.

I could get VHF-3 with the HR10-250, nor with the HR20.
On a "good day" I could get it on the H20, but that was really hit or miss.

What about signal strength? I just have one flaky channel (FOX) and I can't pick
up PBS due to the region they put there tranmitter in (opposite of the others)

#71 OFFLINE   nocaster

nocaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:22 AM

I have read in the past that the tuner in the H20 (non dvr) was much improved over the HR10-250. I'm assuming the HR-20 has the same tuner or better as the H20. I know my H20 is rock solid and improved on the H10 (not to be confused with the HR10 TiVo).

All these reciever names are getting confusing. :)

#72 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:24 AM

What about signal strength? I just have one flaky channel (FOX) and I can't pick
up PBS due to the region they put there tranmitter in (opposite of the others)

On all the stations I could receive, the meter was reading 100%
But again... In Chicago, all my transmissions are from "Basically" the same spot (the two towers are less then 3 miles apart from one another)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#73 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:26 AM

I know that you can only record two programs at once. I have read that. However, can you, for instasnce, watch something on the OTA tuner while recording 2 programs on the satellite tuners?

I am sorry if it is the same question as recording. I was just not sure how the technology worked. Thanks for any response.

No
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#74 OFFLINE   mdmcvay

mdmcvay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

Is there anyway to combine two antennas? I have been having a heck of a time trying to receive all my digital ota, and since the ota on my hr20 will be active soon, I am trying to get everything perfect. I have one antenna mounted in the attic and a Zenith Silver Sensor on top of the entertainment center. According to antennaweb, I am between 4 and 7 miles from all my local txmitters. Compass orientations are 70 degrees for 3 sta, 129, 155, 157, and 164. I am having a hard time aiming to get them all at once. Can i aim my attic antenna one direction and my silver sensor another and then combine and feed into the hr20 and have it work? or maybe i should go buy a "bowtie" type antenna and throw it in the attic

Thanks
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony KDS-R50XBR1
LG-RC199H DVD
Yamaha HTR-6090
Nintendo Wii
Sony PS3
Xbox 360 Elite w/ HD-DVD
Slingbox Pro

Insignia 32" LCD
HR21-700

#75 OFFLINE   f300v10

f300v10

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

Assuming the OTA tuner in the HR20 is as good as the H20, then yes you should see less multipath issues with the HR20. My H20 was WAY better at dealing with wind and changes in leaves than the HR10-250. The H20 would still occasionally drop the signal, but it was far less frequent and recovered a good lock much faster than the HR10 which was often unwatchable.

#76 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

Is there anyway to combine two antennas? I have been having a heck of a time trying to receive all my digital ota, and since the ota on my hr20 will be active soon, I am trying to get everything perfect. I have one antenna mounted in the attic and a Zenith Silver Sensor on top of the entertainment center. According to antennaweb, I am between 4 and 7 miles from all my local txmitters. Compass orientations are 70 degrees for 3 sta, 129, 155, 157, and 164. I am having a hard time aiming to get them all at once. Can i aim my attic antenna one direction and my silver sensor another and then combine and feed into the hr20 and have it work?

Thanks

That approach works very well with single frequency designed yagis...when you try the same trick with wide-band antennas the results are not as encouraging...however, there is no expense in trying it. You can try using a passive splitter in reverse (the two outputs become the two inputs, and the one input becomes the combined outputs). There are better ways to do this, but if I had the stuff laying around, I would try it first.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#77 OFFLINE   DblD_Indy

DblD_Indy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

I have read in the past that the tuner in the H20 (non dvr) was much improved over the HR10-250. I'm assuming the HR-20 has the same tuner or better as the H20. I know my H20 is rock solid and improved on the H10 (not to be confused with the HR10 TiVo).

All these reciever names are getting confusing. :)

Rock Solid = HR20 ...???.. Some day I hope...
DblD_Indy "Save DLB, Save the World"

DirecTV Ka/Ku 5 LNB Satellite Dish
Zinwell WB68
AR HDMI 12' Model AP086
DVR2 / R10 / HR20-700
Hitachi 65F59 Software Version # Main V0001.3000
Toys
Xbox 360 / Wii
Creative Zen Vision:M
T-Mobile G1

:nono2: "Without TV, it is hard to know when one day ends and another begins". - Homer J.

#78 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

Split it close to the HR20.
If your signal is not strong then you may need to install a preamp at the antenna to overcome all the splits. The signal at each tuner will only be 25% of your original signal (50% loss in the splitter, then 50% again in the internal splitters of the Hr10 and the HR20)
If the Hr20 tuner is the same as the one in the H20 then it is MUCH better than the HR10!!

I'm sorry if this is a bit redundant and maybe should be asked in another thread but are you saying that every time you split with a passive splitter you drop 50%? I have my OTA split (passive splitter) in the attic 3 ways, to drop to the family room and to two bedrooms. Then in the family room it is split again to the TV and HR10. I still receive a relatively strong signal except on CBS (bedrooms are fine though). Will I be able to split again in the family rm for the HR20?

#79 OFFLINE   pgiralt

pgiralt

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:46 AM

Is there anyway to combine two antennas? I have been having a heck of a time trying to receive all my digital ota, and since the ota on my hr20 will be active soon, I am trying to get everything perfect. I have one antenna mounted in the attic and a Zenith Silver Sensor on top of the entertainment center. According to antennaweb, I am between 4 and 7 miles from all my local txmitters. Compass orientations are 70 degrees for 3 sta, 129, 155, 157, and 164. I am having a hard time aiming to get them all at once. Can i aim my attic antenna one direction and my silver sensor another and then combine and feed into the hr20 and have it work?

Thanks

Yes, look for the Channel Master Jointenna. You order it for a specific channel and it will let you combine that channel on one antenna with the rest from another antenna. You can stack them if you need to use more than 2 antennas.

#80 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

I'm sorry if this is a bit redundant and maybe should be asked in another thread but are you saying that every time you split with a passive splitter you drop 50%? I have my OTA split (passive splitter) in the attic 3 ways, to drop to the family room and to two bedrooms. Then in the family room it is split again to the TV and HR10. I still receive a relatively strong signal except on CBS (bedrooms are fine though). Will I be able to split again in the family rm for the HR20?

Actually, every time you split you lost 3 to 4 dB (which is a little more than half). A perfect, lossless splitter would lose 3 dB (50%), but there is no such thing.

The only way to answer your question is to try it and see if it works.

If it doesn't, then you need to put an RF Preamplifier as close to the antenna as possible, and split from its output. That can work very well.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

spam firewall