Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 - ATSC/OTA Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
511 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:46 PM

Yes, that's correct. The HR10 couldn't pull signal either. I haven't seen the attenuator on radio shack's website. Is this something they may just have at the store and not listed? Can't really find to many others on the net as well. Any suggestions?

They should have both the little nipple style 75 ohm terminations and the variable attenuator in the store...I bought them both there. I never looked on line.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   biggorilla

biggorilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:52 PM

They should have both the little nipple style 75 ohm terminations and the variable attenuator in the store...I bought them both there. I never looked on line.

Thanks for a the help. I give it a try and report back. I don't need any terminators, just one in and one out of the amp.

You mentioned different sensitivities to different ATSC Tuners, can you elaborate? Have you encountered this difference before?
biggorilla

Equipment:
DirecTV HD DVR (HR20-700) 2nd owned
DirecTV 5-LNB/AT9 Multi-Satellite Dish
Terk Off-Air HDTV Antenna (HDTVs)
Sony 50" Rear LCD (KDFE50A10)
Yamaha 7.1 Receiver (RX-V1500)
Toshiba HD DVD Player (HD-A20)
XBOX 360
Harmony 880 Remote

Configuration:
Video: HR-20 to Yamaha Receiver via Component, XBOX 360 to Yamaha Receiver via Component; Receiver to TV via Component; HD DVD to TV via HDMI
Audio: HR-20, HD DVD Player, & XBOX 360 via Optical into Yamaha Receiver

#123 OFFLINE   eengert

eengert

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

That works great, but only if you need 1 channel off the 2nd antenna. If you need 2 or more the jointenna is useless.

What you're doing by using a splitter/combiner won't work for everyone. In many cases you'll get multipath issues, which will degrade your signal on all frequencies.

The purpose of the jointenna is to block one frequency for one line in and block all but the one frequency for the other line in and then combine them, thus receiving one and only one instance of each frequency. If you have multipath issues and you require more than one frequency combined, you'll need to use multiple jointennas cascaded.
- Eric

---------------------------------------------
D* Equipment:
2 - HR20-700's
8-ch SWM

Televisions:
50" Sony SXRD (xbr1)
32" JVC SD CRT

AVR:
Denon AVR 2307CI

Other Components:
Slingbox AV
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
Playstation 3 (60Gb)

#124 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:06 PM

I believe that functionality will come to the unit in a future release, but for now they opted to enable the channels they had guide data for.

Whoa...
Are you saying I will only get the OTA predetermined by my DMA?

I get Detroit on the satellite. I will not be able to scan for Toledo stations?

#125 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:08 PM

First off I've had my box since mid-August during the intial Los Angeles roll-out... I've been staying away from the forum (lurking) until the OTA got activated. I've been using the HR10-250 still as my primarys... Hello again to all of y'all.

I just finished the OTA setup. Most of the signals are in the high 90s except for two which are in the 80s. Those have always been lower anyway on the HR10-250. I'm at the beach so I'm a good distance away from the towers... I'm using a simple splitter on the roof to split my OTA to different areas of the house so I can say that the OTA tuners seem to be strong and the signal level is the same for both.

I noticed if I record 2 channels at once I can just key in the previous channel to get back to the other channel... I guess this will be my dual tuner workaround while watching football on Sundays...

Both OTA recordings going seem to be fine and I'm not experiencing any glitching while rewinding and fast forwarding. If I have any problems I'll post.

#126 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

For those using an amplifier, do you have a DC block connected to the input of the HR20? I don't know how the HR20 will react, but the HR10's hated DC current coming into the OTA input.

Just a thought.:)

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#127 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:11 PM

Whoa...
Are you saying I will only get the OTA predetermined by my DMA?

I get Detroit on the satellite. I will not be able to scan for Toledo stations?

You have the opportunity to designate "two" DMA's.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#128 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

Earl,

I have a question.

I held off on getting an HR20 earlier this year due to not getting a good enough deal and the lack of an OTA tuner, along with issues experienced by those who own the HR20... and I'm glad I waited since OTA kept being delayed and MOST of my viewing are the networks.

HOWEVER, I do have some questions regarding the OTA guide.

1. I live in a smaller DMA (#147) surrounded by two bigger DMAs (#109 & #125), and one of the few complaints I've had regarding the HR10-250 (as well as other DirecTV HD receivers) are the option for only TWO DMAs. Is there any hope for the HR20 to ever support more?

2. Two of the DMAs I live in have some inccorect guide data information being sent. One of them, WTXL-DT (27-1 & 27-2) has both channels listed on DirecTV HD receivers as 27-1. In my DMA, we have one missing sub-channel, one channel whose primary channel information is missing, and one whose primary channel is missing, but there sub-channel information is available on the wrong RF frequency. My question is this, will DirecTV setup a page ala TiVo where you can report incorrect guide data since the HR20 is their baby?

Also, as a little note, while the HR10-250 started out setting up their local networks with a zip code ala the HR20, they later (with a software upgrade) made it where you could pick a DMA by name which made it a lot easier during initial setup for people who didn't know a zip code in their secondary market. Pass it along! ;)

~Alan

In my market my local NBC CBS and FOX has added channels, I emailed zap2it.com they handle the guide data for Directv, theres a section there that allows you to email them about channel guide problems, theyll ask what station, what city, what service provider and other info, usually in 2-3 weeks the info appears on the Directv guide.

#129 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

For those using an amplifier, do you have a DC block connected to the input of the HR20? I don't know how the HR20 will react, but the HR10's hated DC current coming into the OTA input.

Just a thought.:)

My HR10 has no problem with the DC Block. That may however be because it's on the other side of the splitter from the HR10.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#130 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

I believe that functionality will come to the unit in a future release, but for now they opted to enable the channels they had guide data for.

I'm not sure I understand... I will be able to tune in more than one DMA, will I not?
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#131 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

I'm not sure I understand... I will be able to tune in more than one DMA, will I not?

Yes you will... you can designate two DMA's during setup.

What you "can't do", is do a scan of all frequency and by the off chance you are picking up something else, have that channel as well.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#132 OFFLINE   mrshermanoaks

mrshermanoaks

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:35 PM

Well, my post is actually about using the HR20 with OTA, so I'm not sure it belongs in this thread :) But I'll give it a try anyways.

I've got a small directional antenna I picked up awhile ago just for testing, it's worked in bringing in stations to my TV's built-in tuner when I have needed it (have to move it around sometimes, depending on which channel I'm trying to get).

What's strange right now us that I'm seeing a discrepancy in the Signal Meter between OTA Tuner 1 and 2: On one channel, Tuner 2 will show 74% and tuner 1 will show 25%. On another, Tuner 2 will show 44% and Tuner 1 will show "not acquired".

Any ideas on this?
DirecTV HR20-700
ReplayTV 5k x 3
Samsung LNS3241D
DirecTV since 1912
VUDU (BX100)

#133 OFFLINE   bagleyb

bagleyb

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:37 PM

Does D* get guide data for any of the channels that they don't carry as locals as part of TC packages? I think there are a couple in Tulsa that D* doesn't carry, and I'm sure there are in other DMAs.

#134 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

Yes you will... you can designate two DMA's during setup.

What you "can't do", is do a scan of all frequency and by the off chance you are picking up something else, have that channel as well.

That shouldn't make too much of a difference now, but I hope they add that functionality eventually.

I'll take dual buffers first tho. :D
--Cap

TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#135 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

Well, my post is actually about using the HR20 with OTA, so I'm not sure it belongs in this thread :) But I'll give it a try anyways.

I've got a small directional antenna I picked up awhile ago just for testing, it's worked in bringing in stations to my TV's built-in tuner when I have needed it (have to move it around sometimes, depending on which channel I'm trying to get).

What's strange right now us that I'm seeing a discrepancy in the Signal Meter between OTA Tuner 1 and 2: On one channel, Tuner 2 will show 74% and tuner 1 will show 25%. On another, Tuner 2 will show 44% and Tuner 1 will show "not acquired".

Any ideas on this?

Does it tune both to the same frequency?
--Cap

TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#136 OFFLINE   mrshermanoaks

mrshermanoaks

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

Does it tune both to the same frequency?

It says it is. You use the + and - to move through the OTA channels that you have enabled.

On KNBCDT2 it shows 77% on Tuner 2 and bounces between 25% and "not acquired" on tuner 1. When I try to tune to the station, I get a "searching for OTA signal" message.

On KABCDT2 (7-2) I show nearly 100% on tuner 2 and not acquired on tuner 1.

[updated- I can set something to record blankness on OTA 1, then surf properly on OTA 2, so why isn't Tuner 1 working? Hardware or software?]
DirecTV HR20-700
ReplayTV 5k x 3
Samsung LNS3241D
DirecTV since 1912
VUDU (BX100)

#137 OFFLINE   sgrimess

sgrimess

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

How do I hook up my OTA antenna now? I have two jacks in my wall, one used to be for my Sony HD 300 from the sat, and the other was for my OTA. Now, both are being used by the HR20-700. Do I have to run another cable down through my wall and put it another jack? Or can I split something, don't know what, but can I?

Thanks,

Steve

#138 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:04 PM

An installer once told me that if you further split a split signal your quickly degrade your signal (100% - 50/50 - 50/25/25 - 50/25/12.5/12.5 etc.). He said the best way to preserve the best signal is to use a multi-splitter (not a multi-switch - different purpose). So I'm planning to rewire with a 1 to 4 or 5 splitter.

A multisplitter has exactly the same losses as stacking individual splitters - a two-way splitter loses around 3.5db per output, a four-way splitter 7db and so on. The only real advantage of the multiway splitter is that there are less connectors so less to go wrong.

#139 OFFLINE   chicagojim

chicagojim

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:04 PM

BTW Earl, regarding yesterday's thread on the NFC playoffs and assuming the OTA rollout works well, we'll be covered well before the playoffs start. Please give your contact a hearty thank you from a Cowboys fan!!

Speaking as a Bears fan . . . .

See you in Chicago (probably)! ;)
Go Cubs

New equipment after seven years . . .

HR34 to Sony KDS60A2000 , HR24 to 47" Vizio -
three C31s - Slimline 5 Dish - Swim 16 -CCK -
Networked via wireless & 1000BT, using Comcast – three switches, two routers Hotspot @ home and 4G Femto cell

#140 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

Legend in his own mind...

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

A multisplitter has exactly the same losses as stacking individual splitters - a two-way splitter loses around 3.5db per output, a four-way splitter 7db and so on. The only real advantage of the multiway splitter is that there are less connectors so less to go wrong.

You save a tiny bit on only having one set of insertion loss... but that's about it.

spam firewall