Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 - ATSC/OTA Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
511 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:09 PM

FTM is a method by which you no longer need multiswitches, and only 1 line to the HR20 to get dual recording.

the HR20 already has FTM support, however... there is no IN-HOUSE FTM unit available yet, to take the signal from the dish and convert it to an FTM signal.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   dixoncider

dixoncider

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

put up some rabbit ears and getting a great picture

#163 OFFLINE   pcbosis

pcbosis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

I went to Best Buy and purchased a Terk HDTVa indoor amplified antenna pro and it seems to be working quite well. I live about 60 miles (Santa Ana, Ca) from the main antennas on Mount Wilson. Its nice to be able to get more local hi def channels than what DTV has to offer. Is there anyone out there that has a good outdoor HD antenna that I can hook up to a rotor to allow me to get the LA and San Diego stations?

Thanks

#164 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:58 PM

I went to Best Buy and purchased a Terk HDTVa indoor amplified antenna pro and it seems to be working quite well. I live about 60 miles (Santa Ana, Ca) from the main antennas on Mount Wilson. Its nice to be able to get more local hi def channels than what DTV has to offer. Is there anyone out there that has a good outdoor HD antenna that I can hook up to a rotor to allow me to get the LA and San Diego stations?

Thanks

You may want to post something over here... Lots of good info on local (specific) HDTV/antennas/etc.

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

#165 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:05 PM

Thanks

As with the HR10-250... rotor based installations are not a good idea with the DVR.

As the DVR has no way to "tell" the antenna to shift directions.

If you talk with the people at AVSForum, that have "techniques" by which you can install multiple antenna's to eliminate the need for rotors.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#166 OFFLINE   hfhlt004

hfhlt004

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:46 PM

I probably received the update earlier today, noticed the light, but will have to have had to work with it. My original understanding was that I would be able to record 3 programs at one time. What happened to that plan? This has been done by other DVRs and seems really useful. The good programs are often competing at the same time.

I'll have to have Directv or someone out again to hook my rooftop antenna to the rest of my cabling. The installer originally refused to do it because it was not on the work order. It is sitting right next to the dish on my roof, but the wiring only goes to my upstairs TV. They had a crane to put up the dish for the HR20, but would not run an extra cable for the HR20 downstairs. Being single, I don't want two recorders.

#167 OFFLINE   harleylay1

harleylay1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:30 AM

ok let me ask somebody that on the ota, if the hd channels are not available will i be able to pick them up via ota, if not what would the ota benefit me for thanks

#168 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:36 AM

ok let me ask somebody that on the ota, if the hd channels are not available will i be able to pick them up via ota, if not what would the ota benefit me for thanks

If the HD channels are not sent by D*, you might be able to get them Over The Air "OTA". All depends on if you can receive the signals from the broadcast towers.

If you can receive them, you will typically find OTA has a better picture (at the expense of taking more recording space on disk) and you will typically find non-HD and HD digital channels that D* might never carry like a local weather or news channel, all the PBS channels, etc.

Cheers,
Tom

#169 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

FTM is a method by which you no longer need multiswitches

I was under the impression you needed a special FTM-compatible multiswitch...

#170 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:43 AM

I am using an Antennacraft HDX1000 with my Dish VIP622 and getting astounding results on local OTA's about 35 miles SE of the Christmas, FL (antenna farm for major Orlando locals). Easy to mount. Does require a dedicated coax since it feeds power to an amp in the antenna via coax.

http://www.antennacr...net/HDX1000.htm

#171 OFFLINE   S. DiThomas

S. DiThomas

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:19 AM

OTA and 104 download active on both of my boxes today. Came in at 2:45 AM on 12/7.

Now I have to actually hook an antenna up and see if I can get anything in my new location. Why did I move? :bang

Anyone else here near Greer Ranch in Murrieta, CA 92562 (East of 15, West of 215and near Nutmeg and Clinton Keith) with OTA on any prior boxes?

I think the hills block my 300 degree site of Mt. Wilson but I have to go grab an antenna before I pay to have

the Big Gun

http://www.winegard....nas/hd8200p.htm

mounted permanently.
HR-20 (x2) (1 and 2 tuner),
JVC HD-61FN97 (1080p-HDMI to HR20 - Native - 1 tune)
(0x119 - LA Market Push on 1/18/07);
PAN 47WX49 CRT RPTV (1080i -Cmpnt to HR20 - Native - 2 tune - OTA active (0x011b- RAVEN 1 DL));
Sony XBR-910 w/Samsung SIR-TS360, DTivo 1st Gen
Triple LNB Dish (No MPEG4 yet, No VIIV, No Internet connected, and ONLY MPEG2 HD locals)
Spawn 51202 NF Powered Mutiswitch
OTA Active Murrieta, CA (Los Angeles, CA Local Market)

#172 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:33 AM

My original understanding was that I would be able to record 3 programs at one time. What happened to that plan? This has been done by other DVRs and seems really useful.

I too was under that impression as I believe it was D* who said it and I just can't place where I read that. Is it in the manual? Honestly, my memory is horrible but I know I've seen it somewhere...
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#173 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,899 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:49 AM

I too was under that impression as I believe it was D* who said it and I just can't place where I read that. Is it in the manual? Honestly, my memory is horrible but I know I've seen it somewhere...

It's in the manual as 3, but the manual is WRONG. It is well established that 2 at once is the limit, no matte what the source, sat or ota. Take it to the bank. It is also UNLIKELY if not impossible that it will ever be increased. That is what Earl has said, repeatedly when questioned and requestioned. I'll go with Earl. Forget the manual or anything that a CSR or D* phone person might say.

You can record two at a time, but the only way to watch a 3rd program at the same time is if you have previously recorded it.

N.B. you can watch a 3rd program, of course, on your TV if it has a tuner and you have split the antenna feed between the HR20 and your TV. I do the split and it works fine.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#174 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:54 AM

OTA and 104 download active on both of my boxes today. Came in at 2:45 AM on 12/7.

Now I have to actually hook an antenna up and see if I can get anything in my new location. Why did I move? :bang

Anyone else here near Greer Ranch in Murrieta, CA 92562 (East of 15, West of 215and near Nutmeg and Clinton Keith) with OTA on any prior boxes?

I think the hills block my 300 degree site of Mt. Wilson but I have to go grab an antenna before I pay to have

the Big Gun

mounted permanently.

That's the antenna I have on my roof. It's pretty good. I have a preamp on it and can get in from as far as 45 or 50 miles with consistancy. I have gotten from as far away as 60 miles, but not strong enough for digital. (Talking UHF here.)
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#175 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:01 AM

the Big Gun

mounted permanently.

When I go to antennaweb and put in your zip code, these are the results:

* violet - uhf KFTR-DT 46.1 TFA ONTARIO CA 301° 66.1 29
* violet - uhf KJLA-DT 57.1 IND VENTURA CA 301° 66.0 49
* violet - uhf KCBS-DT 2.1 CBS LOS ANGELES CA 301° 66.5 60
* violet - uhf KCAL-DT 9.1 IND LOS ANGELES CA 301° 66.1 43
* violet - uhf KDOC-DT 56.1 IND ANAHEIM CA 301° 66.1 32
* violet - uhf KOCE-DT 50.1 PBS HUNTINGTON BEACH CA 301° 66.0 48
* violet - uhf KMEX-DT 34.1 UNI LOS ANGELES CA 301° 66.1 35
* violet - uhf KTTV-DT 11.1 FOX LOS ANGELES CA 301° 65.8 65
* violet - uhf KTLA-DT 5.1 CW LOS ANGELES CA 301° 66.0 31

You could go to the site and put in your actual address rather than the zip, will give you more correct results. Antennaweb is very conservative when it comes to digital stations and if I increase the height a number of other stations appear including KNBC and KABC. So it looks like with the right antenna you will get a decent set of digitals OTA.

At your distance you will need a good outdoor antenna, all your stations are UHF although KCAL-DT is going back to channel 9 and KTTV back to channel 11 in the VHF-hi band when analog goes away in 2009. The best UHF antennas for your location will be the CM4228 or the Antennas Direct 91XG, they have pretty well the same performance in general and are almost certainly the best available UHF antennas. Although both of them also have decent performance on VHF-hi band, at your range you will probably need to couple a VHF-hi antenna when KCAL and KTTV move back to VHF in 2009. Suggest you use a CM7777 preamp; this has the option of separate UHF and VHF inputs which makes it easier to couple a VHF antenna with your UHF antenna.

#176 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:11 AM

I've noticed Antennaweb.org really lacking of late. Today it didn't meniton most of the stations I get strong and with regularity. It doesn't know others have gone digital.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#177 OFFLINE   gb33

gb33

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:15 AM

In regards to the FTM stuff. When I had my install done originally back in Sept my installer said sometimes he has seen it where the antenna diplexing does not harm the signal, and others when it does. What are your thoughts? I recall after he hooked it up, everything including my MP4 locals, was working but signal was low. So I hopped up in the attic and disconnected the antenna and diplexer. However there was no difference at all in the local (99*) signal. it turns out the dish wasn't peaked nor tightened up to well, so I have not accurately tested it since.
I CAN move my antenna to roof (in attic) and come in through outside wall, but obviously I would rather not and it is a bit nipley out.

#178 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,899 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:20 AM

In regards to the FTM stuff. When I had my install done originally back in Sept my installer said sometimes he has seen it where the antenna diplexing does not harm the signal, and others when it does. What are your thoughts? I recall after he hooked it up, everything including my MP4 locals, was working but signal was low. So I hopped up in the attic and disconnected the antenna and diplexer. However there was no difference at all in the local (99*) signal. it turns out the dish wasn't peaked nor tightened up to well, so I have not accurately tested it since.
I CAN move my antenna to roof (in attic) and come in through outside wall, but obviously I would rather not and it is a bit nipley out.

For shame! A Green Bay fan, and worried about it being a bit nippy?:D

It will interfere later, when the MP4s become more prevalent. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet, put on several layers of clothes and do it right. As I recall, you might be ok for quite some time (certainly until spring/summer)...someone else can comment on the timeline, so if you wimp out and want to get by until warm weather, you might do ok...but you are going to have to stop the diplexing sooner or later.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#179 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:26 AM

Ignore the rabble (meant affectionately). Packer fans can get cold too, we just know how to dress appropriately for the cold. :)

Where are you in relation to the towers? You likely can keep the antenna in the attic, but place it as close to the wall/roof side facing the towers and be good. (I'm 40 miles away from SLC towers and outdoor antenna mounted in attic has worked great.)

Then, can you drop the coax inside the wall to the HR20? Keeps everything neat (my wife appreciates that aspect). Or down an inside wall to crawlspace/basement and come back up into HR20?

Cheers,
Tom

#180 OFFLINE   Bad Rex

Bad Rex

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:32 AM

This is a long shot but I would swap out the monster cable, especially if it isn't RG-6. But even if it is, a 3-ft RG-6 from Radio Shack would be worth a try. I've heard a lot of strange stories about monster cables.

Ok, here's the OTA puzzle.

I have a Terk HDTVs mounted on the roof of my apartment building and an independent run to a ASKA Model: AM-125 25db Gain Distribution Amplifier inside near the HR20 and a 3ft Monster Coax to the HR20.

Now here's the puzzle, when the antenna is hooked directly to my TV Sony KDFE50A10, I get every possible Off Air channel available here in Los Angeles. When I hook it up to the HR20 (Same for the ole' HR10-250), I get PBS-HD but nothing else.

What a puzzle! I would love to have the same performance OTA as my TV in the HR20. Help anyone? :D

There's a little Bad Rex in all of us.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...