Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

v0x104 - History feature updates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:52 AM

0x104 : Release Notes
0x104 : Main Discussion Thread
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the release of the R15, there has been a lot of discussion on the "usefullness" of the History feature in the DVR+ series.

Well, DirecTV has taken noticed. And they are adding more information to the History items. These release features the first of many updates to come, as they will continue to work on enhancing the history features in future release.

Screen Image of Updated History

Notice at the bottom of that screen image:
"This episode was deleted by the viewer. (1001)"

These types of messages will start to appear going forward on history items.
These messages will go a long way in helping both the user and DirecTV figure out what is going on with some of the recordings.

Before you ask, no... I don't have an entire list of messages or "codes".

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

Man I'm glad for these improvements. I was thinking that this was an area where I was way more satisfied with TiVo. This should really alleviate that.

#3 OFFLINE   Bad Rex

Bad Rex

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

Drat, my signature will soon be obsolete! ;)

There's a little Bad Rex in all of us.

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:28 AM

Earl,

Was your screen shot from the History section of the menus and then selecting an item (Heroes) from the History list?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:29 AM

Earl,

Was your screen shot from the History section of the menus and then selecting an item (Heroes) from the History list?

Yes... it was listed in History as "deleted"
Then when selecting it, you get the screen noted in the screen shot
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   jkc120

jkc120

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

This is awesome, thanks D*! This will not only help all of us with weird partial or deleted bugs, but it should help the D* software team debug if there is a common reason noted for these partial or deleted shows.

I wonder what happens if it's a reason D* hasn't programmed? I guess we'll find out!

#7 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

• History features will no longer include future canceled items, when caused by a reboot
  • History feature will now contain updated information on "why" things occured

I look forward to these changes. Good to see that they figured out that the idea of the "future history of canceled programs" was a bit confusing.

#8 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:05 AM

This is awesome, thanks D*! This will not only help all of us with weird partial or deleted bugs, but it should help the D* software team debug if there is a common reason noted for these partial or deleted shows.

I wonder what happens if it's a reason D* hasn't programmed? I guess we'll find out!

Did anyone see the Partial bug under the last release? I know I didn't have that bug this last version and I don't recall seeing posts about it. I think they may of fixed that bug.

#9 OFFLINE   jkc120

jkc120

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:09 AM

Did anyone see the Partial bug under the last release? I know I didn't have that bug this last version and I don't recall seeing posts about it. I think they may of fixed that bug.

Yeah, good point. I actually haven't had the partial bug since prior to 0xEB. The only issues I've had since 0xEB are occasional lockups, which actually started with 0xFA. But I've only had 2-3 of them, which is an improvement. And they all happened when I selected "Yes, delete" after watching a show.

#10 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, good point. I actually haven't had the partial bug since prior to 0xEB. The only issues I've had since 0xEB are occasional lockups, which actually started with 0xFA. But I've only had 2-3 of them, which is an improvement. And they all happened when I selected "Yes, delete" after watching a show.

Sounds like we had similar experiences, 3 lockups, 2 unplayable bugs that I was able to get around and one unwatchable bug under the last release. While still not good it was better than the last release with the exception of the lockups.

#11 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

Just had a unwatchable this morning. The show was still live, near the end, but the recorded version wouldn't play, and trick play didn't work in the live version. (It happened to be Mr. Rodgers, so now my son hates the HR20 too, its unanimous!)

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#12 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

Just had a unwatchable this morning. The show was still live, near the end, but the recorded version wouldn't play, and trick play didn't work in the live version. (It happened to be Mr. Rodgers, so now my son hates the HR20 too, its unanimous!)

I too had 1 unwatchable bug under 0xFA but I think they may of fixed the Partial bug. I don't recall any reports for a few weeks on that one.

#13 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

I look forward to these changes. Good to see that they figured out that the idea of the "future history of canceled programs" was a bit confusing.

It may seem confusing, but the future history is very useful. I check the history daily for all the programs the HR20 has decided to not bother recording, and I can just re-set the recording right from the history. Now, if it would just act like a DVR and automatically record things it was programmed to record, then the history would be useless (I never looked at history on my TiVo), but until the DVR features are enabled, I need the future history function.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#14 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

It may seem confusing, but the future history is very useful. I check the history daily for all the programs the HR20 has decided to not bother recording, and I can just re-set the recording right from the history. Now, if it would just act like a DVR and automatically record things it was programmed to record, then the history would be useless (I never looked at history on my TiVo), but until the DVR features are enabled, I need the future history function.

The problem with it was it would show that a future recording was canceled when in actuality it will be recorded. It only showed up in the future history as canceled because when it rebooted guide did not have the data so it created a future canceled history message, but when the guide finaly gets the right data for the scheduler it will add the program to the to do list but not update the history. IMO that is very confusing.

#15 OFFLINE   jkc120

jkc120

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:22 PM

The problem with it was it would show that a future recording was canceled when in actuality it will be recorded. It only showed up in the future history as canceled because when it rebooted guide did not have the data so it created a future canceled history message, but when the guide finaly gets the right data for the scheduler it will add the program to the to do list but not update the history. IMO that is very confusing.

Agreed, I think they should change these sorts of "cancelled" recordings to a different label, maybe something like "rescheduled".

#16 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:30 PM

Agreed, I think they should change these sorts of "cancelled" recordings to a different label, maybe something like "rescheduled".

I am interested to see what changes they made in this version.

#17 OFFLINE   jkc120

jkc120

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

I'll have to wait to test it out here as well, didn't get the update last night. So looks like early next week. :)

#18 OFFLINE   Calebrot

Calebrot

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

Now that they are getting this far with the history, a nice addition would be the ability to undelete a program that is still intact on the unit, like sometimes I get dash-dash crazy in the playlist and actually delete a program I wanted to see, as long as the unit hasn't recorded something else over it, it would be nice to be able to get it back.
R15-500
HR20-700
AT-9 Dish

#19 OFFLINE   jkc120

jkc120

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:13 AM

Ok, so after a fresh reboot I went into the history. The first thing I noticed was an entry listed as "Won't Record". I clicked into it, but there is no "reason". I am guessing it is a repeat and that's why it's not going to record it.

Next, I saw a show still listed as "cancelled", which I know it will record since it's a first run (Jeopardy). The reason listed for this is "This episode was partially recorded because it became unavailable. (13)". Um, how did it partially record something that's schedule to record on 12/18? :lol:

I then went to the Smallville episode in the history that shows up as "deleted". Ironically, this was the show I watched then deleted, which locked my HR20 up. I rebooted and figured I'd try to force a download. Anyway, the reason shown is "this showing is over." (Funny, I would have expected "deleted by user"). :confused:

For a recorded show that I've not watched or deleted yet shows up with extra info, "This episode was recorded at 8:00p, Today. All first run episodes are set to record." Cool. The "Record series" on the left when going into a history entry is nice, too.

I went to an entry for a show that recorded in two chunks from yesterday (due to a lockup then as well), and it shows up as "partial". However, the extra info/reason only says "This episde was recorded at 9:41p, Wed 12/6. All first run episodes are set to record." I was expecting a reason for why it was partial (though in this case it IS a partial recording and not a partial bug so maybe the info is accurate/proper).

#20 OFFLINE   gr8reb8

gr8reb8

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:08 AM

Or, "Unknown, (since my designers did not let me store the guide on the harddisk)" :lol:

spam firewall