Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

'No compelling need for cable a la carte'

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

New FCC Commissioner says he "doesn't see a compelling
need for cable operators to sell a la carte programming".

The newest member of the Federal Communications Commission, Robert McDowell,
appears to be preparing himself for a turbulent period at the agency. The commissioner
said today that should he be needed to break a FCC deadlock on the AT&T/BellSouth
deal that he could quickly get up to speed on the review. Although McDowell gave few
clues as to how he feels about the proposal, saying the "transaction is not that different
from two we saw last year, and I hope my colleagues would proceed along a similar path."

McDowell also told attendees of an investor conference in New York City that he didn't
see a compelling need for cable operators to sell a la carte programming - a divergence
from FCC Chair Kevin Martin's stance that embraces the idea.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:35 PM

Which means more higher cable /satellite bills for the future.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:00 PM

Sorry, but you've got it wrong, Mike.

Who do you think is ultimately going to bear the massive cost of implementing and operating an
unbelieveably complex a la carte channel system? It would dramatically raise equivalent per
channel costs, and worse, substantially increase overall rates for all subscribers across the board.

Personally, I don't want to bear the added cost so that you can pick and choose just the channels
you want, and frankly I don't think you and other 'a la carters' could afford to share the cost among
yourselves, nor would you want to.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:54 PM

As the voice of moderation, I must point out that we haven't even decided on the form of a la carte (bundles, tiers, every individual channel, reverse, others?), so it's difficult to make sweeping predictions on what would result from mandated a la carte.

Nick, I agree that cable a la carte is incompatible with its current requirement to deliver core channels through an analog signal, and cable is what McDowell was talking about. OTOH, the satellite providers already have the system in place for a truly unbelievable range of permutations. Each satellite receiver can qualify for dozens of different packages, including locals and internationals. Yet the satellite system tells each receiver exactly when to black out a given sporting event on a particular channel. It's pretty amazing when you think about it that way.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

spam firewall