Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local HD channels (time frame changes)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mattquaker2

mattquaker2

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

I called Directv yesterday and asked about the HD local channels in Fort Myers, which were originally scheduled for "Late 2006." After being passed around from CSR to CSR and finally retention, I was told that the projected date in the computer is now "LATE 2007." The retention agent also said that a few of the other local markets had the same change in time frame. I pulled up online the press release from Directv saying Fort Myers was to come online by "late 2006" and I got the whole "since you're an A-list customer, and we're very sorry, we're going to give you 6 months free on your local channels" BS. Anyone have any idea how they could be a year off in their timing for this issue?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EZ-GUY

EZ-GUY

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:37 PM

That is awful. Will they say Late 2008 next year at this time?

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,015 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:38 PM

Anyone have any idea how they could be a year off in their timing for this issue?

Most of the time it has something to do with an inability to come to agreement with the local stations. If they can't get at least two stations to sign off, they'll probably move on to a more friendly market.

#4 OFFLINE   mattquaker2

mattquaker2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

I did go out and buy a HR20 from Best Buy (Directv was out of stock) in order to recieve my HD locals, and since I knew I was getting them, I didn't have the installers who wired my new house install cables for a OTA antenna. Since it's a two story, I'm not going to be able to do it myself in all honesty. I don't even know who I could get to come out and do the work. Plus, I'll need to get an ugly OTA antenna on my new house. And then there's the point that OTA, though coming soon, isn't even availible on the HR20.

It just seems crazy that two months after sending out an official press release, a date can be pushed back a YEAR!

#5 OFFLINE   mattquaker2

mattquaker2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

I would call if I where someone that was on the list for new HD locals this year. You may get some bad news from Directv like me.

#6 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:12 PM

Maybe they couldn't secure retransmission agreements? Hearst-Argyle is a bitch when it comes to locals.

#7 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

Haerst-Argyle? That's why! It's the whole Lifetime/E* flap thing... that must be why they're getting passed by.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#8 OFFLINE   mattquaker2

mattquaker2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:17 AM

Haerst-Argyle? Sorry, I'm a little new here, what's the beef with them? Do they own all the stations in Fort Myers? And if there was a known beef, why tell your customers they would have high def by the end of this year?

#9 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

Hearst-Argyle owns Lifetime Networks. E* had a contract dispute with them early this year. D* and Lifetime had agreed on a promotion to give a credit to any E* subscriber that switched to D* because of the loss of the Lifetime networks. One or two days after the promotion was announced, Hearst-Argyle settled with E* and began to act as if they had never heard of the promotion. D* has sued Hearst-Argyle for breach of contract. The legal wranglings are still going on.

As for why they announced Ft. Myers... perhaps the people choosing the HD LiL markets thought the lawsuit was near settlement?

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#10 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:33 PM

Right now the largest impediment for DirecTV regarding HD local channels is LIN Broadcasting. It appears DirecTV does not have a contract with LIN at this time, and it is affecting the big four network in these current markets:

Indianapolis
Hartford
Grand Rapids
Providence
Austin
Green Bay

LIN will also hold up some planned markets:

Norfolk
Albuquerque
Buffalo
Mobile
Toledo

Hearst-Argyle is not a problem. Every big four network station they own or operate is currently available in the markets they serve.

One of the larger problems with the HD local rollout right now appears to be setting up the backhauls. It appears to be why the rollout schedule always slips.

#11 OFFLINE   mattquaker2

mattquaker2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the update, but "slips" is a really nice way of saying "you're screwed for a year." Is there anyway this information I am being fed by the CSR's is bad? (not the first time this happenend.)

#12 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

Right now the largest impediment for DirecTV regarding HD local channels is LIN Broadcasting. It appears DirecTV does not have a contract with LIN at this time, and it is affecting the big four network in these current markets:

Indianapolis
Hartford
Grand Rapids
Providence
Austin
Green Bay

LIN will also hold up some planned markets:

Norfolk
Albuquerque
Buffalo
Mobile
Toledo

Hearst-Argyle is not a problem. Every big four network station they own or operate is currently available in the markets they serve.

One of the larger problems with the HD local rollout right now appears to be setting up the backhauls. It appears to be why the rollout schedule always slips.

LIN could actually be the culprit behind the rescheduling of Norfolk/Newport News, Va. to "Late 2007" according to 3 different people in Retention. It was slated for activation in "Early December" but has just changed within the last few days. LIN does own the local NBC (WAVY10 & WVBT 43), but i would think they could still launch with the others. Not a good possibility, it seems, at this point. :nono2:

#13 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:46 PM

LIN owns both the CBS and FOX affiliates in Albuquerque... I get FOX with E* as they put the HD Locals up before the sale... Bad news since I lost all CBSHD available in the last year or so with both providers..

#14 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:43 PM

What about Harrisburg, PA?
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#15 OFFLINE   gator22

gator22

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:08 AM

Talked to a CSR yesterday and he told me that Buffalo was pushed back until early to mid January. Not to bad, but not what there web site says either.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...