Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDTV Breakthrough for DBS?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:37 AM

When reading the HDTV forum's updates, they had a pointer to this for cable, but when reading it I thought it would be 100x better fit for DBS!

http://www.digitalbr...rrent Headlines

Essentially it takes 4 HDTV channels and converts them form fixed bit rate to variable bit rate on the fly.  It allows a cable system to put 4 HDTV channels in a single channel (up from the current 2).  Since a single DBS transponder (8PSK) is about the same (or more if turbo coded) than a single cable channel (256 QAM), this would allow a DBS operator to put 4 HDTV channels on a single transponder.

This would be a major breakthrough for DBS.  If DBS could use a single transponder to send the big 4 (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX) in HDTV, it could allow the top 20-30 DMAs to be served pretty easily.  E* could use 10 transponders from each "wing" sat to hit the top 20 markets.  They could even throw in WB/UPN/PBS for the top markets with another transponder.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:44 AM

Another attachment I need to buy for my 6000? :)

#3 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 10:02 AM

It's just so difficult for the DBS companies to change encoding schemes. I guess HD is a bit better because there aren't too many boxes out there.

I'm just not sure what the chances are of them making a change.
Bye Bye 921
Now playing with 2x 622s.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 01:12 PM

It will probably take a new box. I doubt that the 6000 is ready for a true VBR HDTV bit rates. I know, this will cause people to really squawk. Look at how much squawking has gone on from the 5000 users unable to receive just one channel without changing boxes.

If they have a merger it will help 100x since they would probably replace all the boxes for free.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...