Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My 522 now has DOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,237 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:28 PM

*woo-hoo*:rolleyes: Well the good news is that it doesn't seem to have used up any of my hard drive space. Not sure how they pulled that off but I had about 30 free hours of space yesterday and now that DOD is on there tonight w/ it's four movies for $4.99 it still claims to have about 30 free hours of recording time available. This has got to be about the most useless feature ever, I mean four lame movies and they're actually MORE expensive than the PPV selections? Oh well i've seen it on other peoples receivers, so I knew what it was about already and was hoping they'd never get around to bothering to get it on 522's but now i've caught up w/ the rest of y'all lucky bastages who've had DOD for a while now!:lol:

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:51 PM

VOD has it's own hard drive space - reserved away from the day you got your 522 just for these special uses.

#3 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:25 PM

Aaaaaah.

Maybe that's why they rolled out updated software that was worse than what it replaced, to get DOD going.

Bob
Bob, a novice in electronics.

#4 OFFLINE   nova828

nova828

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

Is there an advantage to DOD over regular PPV that I am not seeing? If you order a PPV, you can record it to your DVR and keep it forever (or until your hard drive crashes) But if you order a DOD, you only have a limited time (24 hours?) to watch and then it's gone. DOD cost a dollar more too. I there a way to disable it? I'd rather not have my DVR recording these movies all night. It seems to me that would cause significantly more wear and tear and only increases the chance a crash might wipe out all my recordings.

So Bob, what specifically is worse about the software that you were talking about? (Other than DOD)

#5 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:19 PM

VOD has it's own hard drive space - reserved away from the day you got your 522 just for these special uses.

When did Dish ever claim there was add'l, unused space on the HDD set aside for VOD ?? I thought that was the whole reason for the 625 - a 522 with a larger HDD, yet still can record the same # of hours as the 522. That add'l space was specifically for VOD.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:23 PM

There was space set aside on the 508 and 510 as well ... less space but still space that E* planned for VOD from the time those receivers were introduced.

#7 OFFLINE   Lammo

Lammo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA, USA - - Go Zags!

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

OK, I've got it too. Now, how do I get rid of it? Whose bright idea was it to make me push my DVR button twice to get to my recordings? Also, when I'm "Done" viewing a particular show I am now defaulted back out to the top of my list of recordings - - used to go to the show I just quit watching. Any ideas on how to unfix this?

#8 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:22 PM

DOD is useless. Give us real on Demand that the cable companies give you and not milk more money for useless PPV crap. Not only is DOD forced on the 508 and 510 but the software update actually breaks timers from firing and spins up the hard drive on and off every five or so minutes so it can wear out in a few months.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#9 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:24 AM

The new software also has the new side by side PIP.

#10 OFFLINE   javaman

javaman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

A few other changes I noticed,

- It appears they fixed that annoying blank screen glitch that was showing up when trying to play a recording. I also haven't noticed any freeze-ups or start-overs during visual search or skip button use either.

- Guide info is now credited to Tribune Media Services.

- The search screen is a bit different with more options added.

- In the diagnostics page there's a button called Send Status.

#11 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

Is this all from L413?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#12 OFFLINE   javaman

javaman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:59 PM

Is this all from L413?

Yep

#13 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

What is the "TV Entertainment" selection in DOD for? I have 3 programs in it. And IMHO the search feature is now has way too many buttons.

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:19 PM

E* sends Movies on Demand to sell to you for $1 more than the PPV price.
They also occasionally send you "TV Entertainment" - which are free programs that you can watch for a limited time. (E* does the adding and deleting.) There has been some good stuff in "TV Entertainment" - tastes and content varys.

#15 OFFLINE   allen98311

allen98311

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:26 AM

Has anyone been able to play any of the on demand videos? When I play them, all I get is a black screen. The Fast Forward, Rewind, Stop, and Play buttons don't do anything. The only way to get off that black screen is to change channels.

#16 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:56 AM

Has anyone been able to play any of the on demand videos? When I play them, all I get is a black screen. The Fast Forward, Rewind, Stop, and Play buttons don't do anything. The only way to get off that black screen is to change channels.

Yep same thing happened to me.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#17 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:15 AM

OK, I've got it too. Now, how do I get rid of it? Whose bright idea was it to make me push my DVR button twice to get to my recordings?

I don't like having to press it twice either. This is how I first realized that I had the new firmware. Blech.

Also, when I'm "Done" viewing a particular show I am now defaulted back out to the top of my list of recordings - - used to go to the show I just quit watching. Any ideas on how to unfix this?

I don't beleive this is a new feature. If you stop a show you would be returned back to the list, but if you let the show run to the end it would return you to the show details screen, then back to the top. It's been that way at least for several months as it was a PITA when watching some of the Stargate or Dirty Job marathons or football games as I would have to keep scrolling down through the list to find the next episode/games.

#18 OFFLINE   Shadowtester

Shadowtester

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

I hate having to push the button twice to get to my recording there should be a setting to allow you to chose where to default I would have it default to my recording and the second button push bring up the menu since I use my recording 99.9% more than their DOD content!!! Very dumb and irritating on their part in my opinion!!!!!!!!

#19 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:45 AM

:lol: I came home the other day and there was a five minute recording among my recordings telling me that I now have DOD and the basics on how to use it. funny how they only talked about the part of the DOD that you have to pay for :sure: and nothing about the free features (that don't seem to work so far anyway). The only thing about this that bothered me a little was they included it in the "my recordings" part of my DVR. Not that big a deal but now that I do have DOD w/ a section for free previews of shows and such things that maybe that's where this should've been placed and the "my recordings section" should be reserved for what I actually set up timers for personally. Once again though I suppose maybe they didn't put it in the free tv/features section because that doesn't seem to be working properly yet.

#20 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

People are far more likely to notice it in the "My Recordings", especially if it's talking about a new feature that people aren't familiar with or worse, aware of. It takes up a minuscule amount of space too, in case people feel "ripped off ... they're stealing *my* recording space". Also, I'm positive the service agreement all of us signed says we allow Dish to do this....

For the add'l button press, I got VOD on my 622 a few months ago and went from 1-button to 2-button presses to access "My Recordings". Honestly, you get used to it, and forget the old way, VERY QUICKLY.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...