Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Time Warner sues DirecTV over NFL Network ads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

What a story! Check it out!

http://news.yahoo.co..._directvsuit_dc

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

Intresting article.

I can see Time Warner getting ticked, about the not being able to see the local teams... As NFL does re-contract with a local affiliate to carry the game.

But it is "possible" that for those games, the local affiliate is not carrying it.
I don't live in those markets, so I can't check for myself.

As for the "better signal"... I don't think they specificially said "Better Then Time Warner"... just used the generic "cable-company"...

No different then Comcast in this area saying they are better then DirecTV because of "weather" concerns... Just your typical advertising stuff.

There probably just really bent, that they didn't get Congress to go the way they wanted to regarding the NFL network, so now they are to plan B.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

NFL Network isn't carried on all Cable Cos. I'm not sure of the percentage but our family had discussions over Thanksgiving that most of them (back east cable viewers) can't get NFL Network. Unless DTV specifically mentioned TW I don't see how there's a suit.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#4 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:00 PM

As for the "better signal"... I don't think they specificially said "Better Then Time Warner"... just used the generic "cable-company"...

No different then Comcast in this area saying they are better then DirecTV because of "weather" concerns... Just your typical advertising stuff.

To be fair. Direct TV does say, "Better signal than cable," but then they show package prices that are in SD only. They promote the whole HD 1080i concept than show a SD price. That really isn't comparing apples to apples.

#5 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:53 PM

That really isn't comparing apples to apples.

What competitive ads do?
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#6 OFFLINE   untouchable

untouchable

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:52 AM

I don't think that Time Warner is going to get anywhere with this...it's just typical competition between companies to see who can get business...to me it sounds like Time Warner is against capitalism...

#7 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:00 PM

Intresting article.

I can see Time Warner getting ticked, about the not being able to see the local teams... As NFL does re-contract with a local affiliate to carry the game.

But it is "possible" that for those games, the local affiliate is not carrying it.
I don't live in those markets, so I can't check for myself.

FWIW, I saw the ad here before the Bengals were going to play on NFL Network on Thursday, but the game was carried on the local NBC station. But I'm not sure if the ad said cable subscribers wouldn't be able to watch the Bengals game (obviously untrue) of if it said they wouldn't be able to watch the Thurs. NFL Network games (which is true).
- Matt

#8 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:14 PM

Ha that's funny. I think the jessica simpson ad said "for picture quality that beats "cable" ..get directv" and than I think because of this they changed the ad to "for an hd picture that can't be beat get directv".

I personaly love the ad. It has nothing to do with the nfl network. Time warner is crazy.

#9 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

And on the star trek one william shatner says "settiling 4 "cable" would be illogical" so they were just saying cable in general it did not specify cox, comcast, cablevision, or time warner, the ads simply say "cable".

More proof that time warner is dumb

#10 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

Never mind me... I am jest posting hear be cause some thing is getting in my hare :)

Public service announcement
Then = not now
Than = comparison: better this than that.
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#11 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

Never mind me... I am jest posting hear be cause some thing is getting in my hare :)

Public service announcement
Then = not now
Than = comparison: better this than that.

!rolling

I am glad to see I'm not the only one who is bothered by those type of mistakes

#12 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:28 AM

ok so i had a spelling error you got me. Posted Image

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...