Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newest DirecTV DVR GUI

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

I saw the GUI for the SD DirecTV DVR (non-TiVo), and was completely unimpressed. Does the H20 use the same interface? Also, how would you compare the H20 functionality to that of the DirecTV TiVo (for those of you that used it). Does the H20 allow you to network (like the HMO option of TiVo)?

Tell me a little about it! :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:08 PM

All of the DirecTV receivers now use the same GUI. The H20 is not a DVR (did you mean HR20?) The functionality is nearly equivalent (but no wishlists), however if you are used to Tivo, there is some unlearning/learning to do. None of the Directv DVRs (Tivo or otherwise) allow you to network. Directv supposedly will have a networking option available in the future.

#3 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,651 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:51 AM

Actually the UI for all of DirecTV's latest products is very similar, regardless of whether it's a DVR or standalone receiver. Personally I find that the UI is pretty easy to get used to.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:37 AM

(did you mean HR20?)

Milkman did say new SD DVR. Very confusing.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#5 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:54 AM

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I did mean the HR20-700 (HD DVR right?). My current D* DVR is a SD TiVo.

My installer said you could hook that new receiver up to your network. Guess he saw the port and figured it was active. I wish DirecTV would get with the program and enable networking with these units.

No wishlist? That sucks. So you have to know the name of the show and the channel? It is nice with TiVo, because I can use the keyword of "SEINFELD" and it will record Seinfeld on any channel it comes on at any time. Can't do that with the D* DVR huh??? VERY disappointing.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:11 AM

Yes you can.
There are keyword searches in the DVR+ series
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:30 PM

Never tried it but some one said a while agon on this board that when you type in "SEI" on the r15 it will lock up and freeze. Don't kno if its the same for the hr20 and I don't remember if they fixed this with an update.

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

Probably a "search" for SEI

And yes, in the past search by titles have locked up, but thost have been VASTLY improved on the R15 a few releases ago...

And on the HR20, it has been reported fairly rarely that a search is locking the box.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

Probably a "search" for SEI

And yes, in the past search by titles have locked up, but thost have been VASTLY improved on the R15 a few releases ago...

And on the HR20, it has been reported fairly rarely that a search is locking the box.

I agree. Like I posted elsewhere, my 300 froze up a month or two ago while looking for a title starting with "THE". But all recent title searches on my 500 just fly - not sure exactly when it happened, but there is very little delay between letters. I haven't tried a search recently on my 300, so I can't say for that particular machine. But I've been impressed with the improved speed on the search.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...