Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling Two Tuner Operation with One Wire

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dmwierz

dmwierz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

Does everyone there have Directv as part of their perks for living in your apartment building? You may have an MDU account, or "Multiple Dwelling Unit" account, where customers are provided Directv for free or reduced pricing through an apartment type set up, the main account is between Directv and the building. There are companies that manage the property for the MDU accounts. If this is the case with you, you can call Directv, ask them if you have an MDU account, and then ask them who the company is that manages the equipment and installs for your property. They will provide you with a name and an 800# to call and complain over his head.

If its not an MDU account, why is the building guy the only one you can work with?

Hope this helps.

Well, each apartment is provided with a "basic package" of DirecTV channnels included in the price of the apartment, which is comprised of locals and most non-premium DirectTV channels. These are provided via some sort of modulator that makes DirecTV appear to be cable TV on one of two jacks on the wall. This provides basic "cable" for residents without the need for a DirecTV receiver. The other wall jack is for guys like me who want premium DirecTV via their own receiver.

It sounds like a "MDU" setup, and the fellow I have been dealing with says he installed all the wiring and has the "contract" for the building.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

Well, each apartment is provided with a "basic package" of DirecTV channnels included in the price of the apartment, which is comprised of locals and most non-premium DirectTV channels. These are provided via some sort of modulator that makes DirecTV appear to be cable TV on one of two jacks on the wall. This provides basic "cable" for residents without the need for a DirecTV receiver. The other wall jack is for guys like me who want premium DirecTV via their own receiver.

It sounds like a "MDU" setup, and the fellow I have been dealing with says he installed all the wiring and has the "contract" for the building.

Yep, you sure do have some sort of MDU setup. Call directv and get the name of that company that runs the MDU for your building and their 800#. Go the heck over his head, MDU accts USE equipment you need, and you have to go through them to get the HD equipment, to receive the HD programming you have to pay EXTRA for.

I'd call that 800# and ask them to either have him fix the situation, or compensate you for the extras you are paying for and not getting, ie DVR fees and HD fees, but cant record one show in HD while you watch another. He is going to be sore but thats his problem for not being able to run the business he was hired to run.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#23 OFFLINE   dmwierz

dmwierz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:12 PM

Yep, you sure do have some sort of MDU setup. Call directv and get the name of that company that runs the MDU for your building and their 800#. Go the heck over his head, MDU accts USE equipment you need, and you have to go through them to get the HD equipment, to receive the HD programming you have to pay EXTRA for.

I'd call that 800# and ask them to either have him fix the situation, or compensate you for the extras you are paying for and not getting, ie DVR fees and HD fees, but cant record one show in HD while you watch another. He is going to be sore but thats his problem for not being able to run the business he was hired to run.

So, Melodie, the guy who runs my building works for somebody else? Isn't it possible he is the guy who has the contract? If this is the case, is it even possible to go over his head, or do you mean go over his head directly to DirecTV? He runs his own company, and not only wires and adminsters buildings like mine, but also does commercial AV installations.

When you say

"MDU accts USE equipment you need, and you have to go through them to get the HD equipment, to receive the HD programming you have to pay EXTRA for",

what if, as in my case, I have my own equipment?

#24 OFFLINE   manhole

manhole

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

Back on the topic here.....

I stumbled into this post on DirecTV's forums. Perhaps DirecTV has something up their sleeve for all of us waiting on a one-line solution.

http://forums.direct...postID=10173163

#25 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

Tell us more about the FTM please!

Not any more to tell at this time. DirecTV has announced that they are developing FTM (frequency translation module), which will provide a one-line solution for multiple DVR inputs. They have not said when (other than 2007), or how much it will cost, or provided any other information on it.

It will certainly require some type of device that has multiple connections to the dish, where all of the dish outputs would be fed to the device. Most likely, this device will need power. Don't know if it will be weather resistant or not.

Some of DirecTV's newest equipment, including I believe the HR20 DVR, already has internal circuitry necessary for FTM. Older equipment will need some type of external adapter box at the receiver.

So overall, it will work similar to stacking equipment - with a device that combines the various signals on one end, and another device that splits them out on the other end. It may very well not stack everything though - it may only put the requested channel(s) on the single cable, with some finite limit as to how many receivers or dvr's can be supported. Just speculating right now, but that would make more sense than trying to stuff everything into one cable.

I'm going to guess that running coax will still be a more cost effective solution in almost all cases. But in those situations where it isn't an option, FTM might be.

Carl

Protected By... spam firewall...And...