Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will DTV offer me anything to stay?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Crimson

Crimson

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:52 AM

I've had DirecTV for the past 5 years or so at my home now, and I've had TIVO for that time as well. I have an older DVR-39 or whatever they were called, its a 35 hour unit they offered a while back..

Anyways, just purchased a 46" LCD HDTV.. looking to get my equipment upgraded. Don't particularlly like cable's DVR, and the HR-20 seems like its got its share of problems. Cable has more HDTV here, and I am considering switching. Question is, if I go to DirecTV and try to get new equipment and a dish, what can I reasonably expect them to give me? I'd be willing to stay if I can get equipment for a reasonable price (ie, new DVR and dish)..

Just wondering what other people got.. cable seems like the easier choice, but I like DirecTV.. Before I give them a call and make a decision I'd just like to know what other people got.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:29 PM

All you can do is call...

Everyone's "case" is different. Depends on how long you have been a customer, what kind of packages you have had, if you have gotten any deals before, and which CSR you get when you call.

The deals range all over the place. from all sorts of credits, to nothing at all.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:35 PM

I see you are covering your bases. :)

http://www.tivocommu...ad.php?t=330802

As said, you need to call as everyone's case is different and it also depends on what side of the bed the CSR woke up on. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

I see you are covering your bases. :)

http://www.tivocommu...ad.php?t=330802

Really, just make the call. How do we know what they're gonna say? I'd have to imagine you've been with D* long enough to be familiar with the term "CSR roulette". Anyway, you had to have ordered the cable install for a reason. If you're ready to move on, do it. I'd have to imagine you're not just doing it on a whim.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#5 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

I'd call customer service first, and point blank ask them how many "hearts" your account has. 3 is fair, 5 is great, 1, TERRIBLE.

Think back on how much you spend each month with Directv, and if you pay on time each month. Ask yourself: Any returned checks for any reason in the last year? Always get NFL Sunday Ticket? Are you currently out of contract, so you are in a better bargaining position?

Once you know about the hearts, you will have a better idea of how sweet the deals will be with retention. Now, ask the rep to transfer you to the retention department, and thank them for helping you. No need to be gruff right now, you want to bait your trap with a little honey :)

Now, reaching the retention department. BE NICE!!!!!!! Complement Directv, thank them for taking your call, but mention how sweet the fruit off the cable tree is looking...how you are getting an HDTV, and the offerings from Dish Network are looking real good to switch, and ask how are they going to entice you to stay.

Be prepared to have to accept a 2 year commitment for equipment. Feel free to hem and haw a little bit, and ask if they can throw in a little bit of free programming or monthly credits to sweeten the deal. Keep a positive attitude and be CHARMING, since lightening the load for the rep on the other end of the phone makes the fingers fly even faster to find goodies to share with the nice customer on the line!!

Good luck, and start calling.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   Crimson

Crimson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:49 PM

Well of course I am posting in both places, because I am a current TIVO customer, and apparently if I want to stick with DirecTV, TIVO is no longer an option.. :) Like I said I am just asking what others have gotten.. Is it reasonable for me to expect a free HR-20, free dish upgrade, and installation? I am not under contract, never make a late payment, etc.. I will be calling tonight or tomorrow, but going into the call being educated is the best way.

#7 OFFLINE   bluedogok

bluedogok

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

I have been with D* for 7 years (2 old Sony receivers and an SD-DirecTivo), when I got my HDTV in October I looked at cable (Time Warner) and the D* offerings. I called and got the new HR20 for the $19.99 "shipping charge" and the AT-9 dish (replacing my old 2-LNB Sony) and the Zinwell multiswitch installed for free.

I know of a few people who are changing from TWC here because of poor service. I think most of it depends on your other options and whether they serve your needs.
A Sooner in Austin

#8 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

I've had DirecTV for the past 5 years or so at my home now, and I've had TIVO for that time as well. I have an older DVR-39 or whatever they were called, its a 35 hour unit they offered a while back..

Anyways, just purchased a 46" LCD HDTV.. looking to get my equipment upgraded. Don't particularlly like cable's DVR, and the HR-20 seems like its got its share of problems. Cable has more HDTV here, and I am considering switching. Question is, if I go to DirecTV and try to get new equipment and a dish, what can I reasonably expect them to give me? I'd be willing to stay if I can get equipment for a reasonable price (ie, new DVR and dish)..

Just wondering what other people got.. cable seems like the easier choice, but I like DirecTV.. Before I give them a call and make a decision I'd just like to know what other people got.

I've been with DirectTV since 1994 and for the most part have always been pleased with deals I have been given whenever I wanted to upgrade equipment or service. All you can do is make the call and see what they offer you. If you don't like the offer, make another call. I'm pretty sure they'll offer you something.

HR34-700(0x00805)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo TX-LR552 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#9 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:33 PM

It would not be out of line for them to offer the HR20 for $99 rather than for free. I would not go in expecting you should get an HR20 for free because you might not. The dish upgrade and installation (barring any wall fishing and those types of complications) should be free.

#10 OFFLINE   tgaunce

tgaunce

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

If you don't like sitting on the phone send off an email via the website with your request. I did that and was called s few days later and given a phone number with a pin to use so there was no waiting ... direct line to customer service / retention.

I have been a customer for 8 years and always have been happy with the service and offers when I want to upgrade. The only times I have had issues have been in dealings with installers ... any time they need to touch things sh*t seems to go bad but I don't think that is different anywhere.

I currently have 3 DirecTV/Tivo units and have an install setup for the HR20 on Thursday. I was very happy with the offer from DirecTV. BTW, Dish or Cable could not touch what I currently get and definitely can't come close to what I was offered.

It would be nice if the HR20 came with 0x104 but I'm guessing probably not? Is that something that the installer can request?

Tony

#11 OFFLINE   Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

It would be nice if the HR20 came with 0x104 but I'm guessing probably not? Is that something that the installer can request?

Tony

The installer cannot request it, however it should go thru a software upgrade automatically once the receiver is plugged in so that it gets the latest version. The one that it may have is 2 or more versions old. Los Angeles is getting 0x104 and other time zones will be getting it in the coming weeks.

5 LNB Dish
SWM 16 Multiswitch
Living Room: HR24-200
Master Bed: R22-100 and DECA
Guest Bed: R22-100 and DECA
Front Room: R22-100 and DECA
Office: H21-200 and DECA
Cinema Connection Kit hooked to Comcast Internet

#12 OFFLINE   Crimson

Crimson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:06 PM

Well, in case anyone else was interested.. I called and they offered me the HR-20 for $49.95 + $19.95 shipping.. includes new dish and install.. Of course, I am on the "wait list" so we'll see how long that takes.

#13 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

Well, in case anyone else was interested.. I called and they offered me the HR-20 for $49.95 + $19.95 shipping.. includes new dish and install.. Of course, I am on the "wait list" so we'll see how long that takes.

Hmm...fair dinkum (sic) nice offer!
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...