Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Only two cables to work with.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

At my condo my tenants have D* and want to get HD. Here's the issue, when I was living there I had to drill thru the patio door into the wood and drywall. I only ran two lines at the time because we only had a 2 LNB dish so I had a 2X4multiswitch inside going to two DVR's. Is there anything that I can do to get the 3LNB dish or the 5 LNB dish into the house with just two lines and split it inside? I assume the only option I would have would be to do stacking but I don't have a power source outside (it's on the 2nd story of the condo building they are really apts. that where turned into condo's and the build is brick. They also won't let you drill in it but since I own the patio door I can drill thru that.) I really don't want to drill thru the patio and wall again becuase it was such a pain in the ass. Just checking all my non-drilling options. They would like to run it two 3 DVR's, 1 HD DVR and 2 Non-HD DVR. If they can only get away with 2 then it would be 1 HD DVR and 1 NON HD DVR.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

There really are not any suitable stacking/destacking solutions for the new 5-LNB HD dish, so your only option is to bite the bullet and drill for two more cables. Of course, if your tenants only have one DVR and only need two lines, then you can use the dish's built-in multiswitch and just connect your existing two cables. But with even two DVRs, you'll need four lines. Sorry.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

that's what I thought. What about the old 3 LNB? I'm not sure if the balcony will support the 5 LNB. It is a steel balcony and the 2 LNB is mount ok but I know the 5 LNB is alot heavier.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

Same story with the 3-LNB dish, although you can buy a stacker/destacker system for the 3-LNB dish ....
http://www.solidsign....asp?prod=SS212

But I just noticed that this product has been discontinued :(
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

There are devices that will transmit the RF signal through glass to avoid drilling any holes in the wall or the door like this one:

http://www.skyvision.../mi2000098.html

Note that they will only work with single pane glass and not double pane (a.k.a. ThermoPane) windows or doors. You can also use a flat coax cable adapter to run the cable under a window or door like this:

http://www.skyvision.../mi2000060.html

If you can mount the triple LNB dish in the existing location as your single dish then you can run four lines from the dish. It sounds like you may want to install some extra braces to help support the dish. There are braces available for the AT9 dish that should also work for the phase III dish, although the mast is a bit smaller in diameter.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,009 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:54 AM

Note that the through the glass device states "for single LNB systems only", which won't work with the 3 or 5 LNB dishes. Also, it will require some sort of power outside.

Flat cable may be a solution, however the more you use the door/window it goest through, the more frequent will be your failure rates.

Carl

#7 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:52 PM

Now that I think about it, there would be no way to transmit the switching voltages through the glass to the LNBs. I didn't read the part about it being for single LNB systems only, which would preclude its use with any of the DirecTV dishes. The flat cable would seem to be the only solution other than drilling holes in the wall or door/window frame.

#8 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I think the flat cable might be the way to go but I'm not sure if I have clearance for it. If not i might just have them wait till I replace the Glass sliding door and maybe I'll be able to run the wires between the frame of the door and the outside frame. If not I might try to find that stacker-destacker but I think that requires power outside too. Or when I warms up I might try drilling two more holes (I'm not looking forward to that).
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

Whenever Directv finally releases the Frequency Translation Module, it will work with only one cable and splitters.

#10 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I think the flat cable might be the way to go but I'm not sure if I have clearance for it. If not i might just have them wait till I replace the Glass sliding door and maybe I'll be able to run the wires between the frame of the door and the outside frame. If not I might try to find that stacker-destacker but I think that requires power outside too. Or when I warms up I might try drilling two more holes (I'm not looking forward to that).

The one I have requires power but I just hooked the power up inside the house where I have the destacker. Works like a charm, I think you only have to put the power outside if you're doing a long run with it my current run is a from one side of my house in the front to the other side in the back.
R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...