Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Move reciever to dish at a different location

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   qw3rty

qw3rty

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:18 PM

Sorry for the dumb question but I am very new to this.

I have a subscription to DirecTV and have an extra receiver. I want to get another dish and put the extra receiver in my ice house this winter.

Is this possible, or will the receiver only work at this location?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

Having a seperate dish and receiver for your ice house shouldn't be a problem. I guess technically depending on where your ice house is physically located in relation to your existing billing address. I guess as long as it's on the same property you shouldn't have to open a second billing account.

To make this a little simplier. Activate the 2nd receiver, take the TV, dish, and receiver to the ice house, point the dish and have fun.

EDIT: I picture a ice house in the middle of a body of water. How are going to power this stuff up? Generator?
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#3 OFFLINE   mike_augie

mike_augie

You call I haul..

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:30 PM

The answer to your question is a easy one..... but.....LEGALLY....no.....But.....dtv states in black and white no....

#4 OFFLINE   qw3rty

qw3rty

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:35 PM

Having a seperate dish and receiver for your ice house shouldn't be a problem. I guess technically depending on where your ice house is physically located in relation to your existing billing address. I guess as long as it's on the same property you shouldn't have to open a second billing account.

To make this a little simplier. Activate the 2nd receiver, take the TV, dish, and receiver to the ice house, point the dish and have fun.

EDIT: I picture a ice house in the middle of a body of water. How are going to power this stuff up? Generator?

Yeah there is already a TV with a UHF antennae that is powered with a generator.

It's not on the property, it's on a lake about 10 minutes away. Will that still work?

edit: I just checked the google map and the ice house is 5 miles away from my property. Is that to far away?

#5 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

I re-read my original post and it wasn't exactly clear. I'm not suggesting illegal activity.

If by chance this ice house is on your property then you should be able to. If it is not then legally you have to have a seperate account for it. Frankly, I'm not sure how D* would handle that. It's not an RV or stationery address.

AT9 to SWM16

#6 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

Yeah there is already a TV with a UHF antennae that is powered with a generator.

It's not on the property, it's on a lake about 10 minutes away. Will that still work?

edit: I just checked the google map and the ice house is 5 miles away from my property. Is that to far away?

Our posts crossed on the wire.

Physically it will work. Legally, I don't think it will fly.

AT9 to SWM16

#7 OFFLINE   qw3rty

qw3rty

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

I re-read my original post and it wasn't exactly clear. I'm not suggesting illegal activity.

If by chance this ice house is on your property then you should be able to. If it is not then legally you have to have a seperate account for it. Frankly, I'm not sure how D* would handle that. It's not an RV or stationery address.

So what you are saying is that even though it's technically possible, legally I need a separate account, even if it's just going to be there a couple months?

#8 OFFLINE   qw3rty

qw3rty

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

Our posts crossed on the wire.

Physically it will work. Legally, I don't think it will fly.

Ok, I won't do it then. Thank you for your help and fast replys.

#9 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:47 PM

So what you are saying is that even though it's technically possible, legally I need a separate account, even if it's just going to be there a couple months?

If I understand D* rules and policies, Yes, that is correct.
I've read alot of post and questions over the last 18 months. But this is a first.
Maybe someone else as some suggestions or other insite. At the end of the day you should call D*.

I know you can suspend accounts for up to nine months at a time. If you need to sleep at night (be legal,which you should, but that's your decision), open a second account, and then suspend.

If I'm incorrect, someone please advise.

btw, there are no dumb questions.

AT9 to SWM16

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

I would consider this to be in the same league or category as a summer house or vacation house, both of which have been discussed extensively here and on other forums.

The general rule of thumb is, an account is for an address. If, while you are at your ice house there is no one at your other location watching tv, then you are probably within the spirit of the law. If there will be people at both locations using DirecTV at the same time, then the letter and spirit of the law is two accounts.

Carl

#11 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

I would consider this to be in the same league or category as a summer house or vacation house, both of which have been discussed extensively here and on other forums.

The general rule of thumb is, an account is for an address. If, while you are at your ice house there is no one at your other location watching tv, then you are probably within the spirit of the law. If there will be people at both locations using DirecTV at the same time, then the letter and spirit of the law is two accounts.

Carl

Hey Calr6,

Thanks for your input. It's obvious I was erroring on the side of caution. I agree I was splitting some fine hairs.

AT9 to SWM16

#12 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:12 AM

Does this Ice House have it's own address? Do you pay seperate taxes for it? If you were to go to town hall and get the blueprints (property line maps?) for your property, is the ice house a part of it?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...