Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD PPV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BradBrening

BradBrening

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

I recently upgraded my DTV service to HD, and so far it is great. One thing I am confused about is the HD channels. Do any PPV movies air in HD? I note that any HD programs have the "HD" icon next to them, yet none of the PPV listings have this icon. Are there any PPV HD channels?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

Channel 99 is the HD PPV channel.

#3 OFFLINE   BradBrening

BradBrening

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:05 PM

Channel 99 is the HD PPV channel.

Thanks! Sure enough, the description shows HD - just no icon in the guide.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

The icon is hit or miss... the guide data has to be "flagged" as HD.
And some of these "primarily" HD stations, are not flagging their shows accordingly.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   casolorz

casolorz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:24 PM

Since I am a dish customer I am a bit curious. Are the movies on the HD PPV on directv any good? on the dish PPV for HD I have never seen any movies I had the slightest desire to watch.

#6 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:10 AM

Since I am a dish customer I am a bit curious. Are the movies on the HD PPV on directv any good? on the dish PPV for HD I have never seen any movies I had the slightest desire to watch.

Judge for yourself. This Tuesday and Wednesday, Ch 99 alternates between Nacho Libre and Over The Hedge. Thursday and Friday, Mission Impossible III is added to the mix. They're not always on during the evening hours, but you can record them on an HR10 or HR20 and watch them later.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#7 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

When I've been curious enough to look at what's on HD PPV, I seem to have always been a little disappointed in the offerings (witness "Nacho Libre" and "Over the Hedge" as noted above). MI3 might be a better movie for HD PPV.

It all kind of depends on your tastes. I haven't yet actually purchased one of the HD PPVs. I would be more interested if they carried some of the events (UFC or Pride, for example) in HD.

#8 OFFLINE   jabd

jabd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:29 AM

Has anybody had success recording the CH99 PPV?

I have tried a couple of times but it hasn't worked. For example, I recorded "Failure to Launch" the other day.

The movie recorded as far as I can tell - list and time bar showed 1hr 36min of recording. When I played it, there was no confirmation about the PPV cost as there normally is. And about 10 min into the movie, it stopped an I got a message something like "searching for authorized content". I restarted the movie and tried to FF past it but it did it again.

I called D* tech support and all they asked me to reboot and see if the movie was still there - it was. They had no other ideas. The guy said to delete the movie and try it again. He was useless.

Earl, if this is a known issue, something noteworthy to pass along to pass along to the programmers... After this happened the first time and I called up the movie to play it a second time, the live TV box in the upper right hand corner would freeze after the "please wait" box would go away but before played the movie.

#9 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

how much is an HD PPV movie. I clicked on it and it didnt say?

#10 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

$4.99, I believe.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...