Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Itunes Listed in Menu, not playing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   javierruizleon

javierruizleon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:26 AM

I have my itunes library listed in the music folder but when I select the song nothing happens.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:45 AM

What format are your music files? The HR20 cannot play Apple format or any DRM protected files.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   iacas

iacas

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

What format are your music files? The HR20 cannot play Apple format or any DRM protected files.

Just to be clear, there's no such thing as "Apple format." Perhaps you meant AAC, which is an open standard. iTunes can encode songs in AAC (as well as WAV, MP3, and a few other formats, including Apple Lossless, which may have also been what you meant).

And of course the iTunes DRM-protected files are AAC with DRM...
Erik J. Barzeski
Personal Blog | Golf Site

My Equipment:
HR20 hooked to Sony 60" HDTV, Pittsburgh Locals, HD Package
HR21 hooked to a Vizio 37" HDTV in the bedroom[/size]

#4 OFFLINE   laxcoach

laxcoach

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:09 PM

From what I read the Apple AAC uses some custom DRM routines. I haven't read the AAC spec, so I assumed it was a way to package DRM'ed content, but that you specified the DRM format and key info in the packaging. If so, it is an Apple format as in WMP would never be able to decode it.
I wasn't always a superstar. I used to be a boring old cup. Why would anyone make a show about something you throw away? But things change my friend. Money rolls in like waves lapping on the shore.

#5 OFFLINE   iacas

iacas

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:25 PM

From what I read the Apple AAC uses some custom DRM routines. I haven't read the AAC spec, so I assumed it was a way to package DRM'ed content, but that you specified the DRM format and key info in the packaging. If so, it is an Apple format as in WMP would never be able to decode it.

http://en.wikipedia....ed_Audio_Coding

The two are unrelated, except that Apple uses AAC files for its DRM-ed music.

AAC is simply "Advanced Audio Coding." It is an open standard and lots of software can both read and write AAC files. iTunes can import your music from a CD as an AAC file (without DRM) on both Macs and Windows just as it can import to MP3, WAV, etc.

Apple could have DRMed MP3 files, but they chose not to because AAC offers better sound at similar compression rates as MP3.

There's no such thing as "Apple AAC." AAC is just an audio coding (compression) format, just like MPEG-1 Layer III (MP3). Nothing more. Apple adds DRM in a wrapper layer.

So no, it is not an "Apple format." However, it is not WMP or MP3, either. It is its own (open) format.
Erik J. Barzeski
Personal Blog | Golf Site

My Equipment:
HR20 hooked to Sony 60" HDTV, Pittsburgh Locals, HD Package
HR21 hooked to a Vizio 37" HDTV in the bedroom[/size]

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the clarification. The HR20 can't play any DRM'ed files, including Apple's.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

Jav... let me guess you are using Twonky.

There are "two" pieces to the equation...
One is a "folder listing" segment that is sent to the unit, then the actual file playback.

Twonky is sending your HR20 a file tree... but then when the HR20 asks for compatible files in that directory when you get there, it gets an empty list.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:46 PM

Therefore, since my entire iTunes library was ripped into AAC, I cannot listen to any of them through the HR20.

Is that correct?

Does Nero or any other program help this problem or do I have to convert anything I want to hear through the HR20 to mp3? (I am using Nero MediaHome on my iTunes PC since I cannot get WMP11 to work for the life of me on that box - on another PC, WMP11 works perfectly - not sure what the conflict is on the iTunes PC, but Nero works so it really doesn't matter)

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

Therefore, since my entire iTunes library was ripped into AAC, I cannot listen to any of them through the HR20.

Is that correct?

Does Nero or any other program help this problem or do I have to convert anything I want to hear through the HR20 to mp3? (I am using Nero MediaHome on my iTunes PC since I cannot get WMP11 to work for the life of me on that box - on another PC, WMP11 works perfectly - not sure what the conflict is on the iTunes PC, but Nero works so it really doesn't matter)

Yes... that is correct... the HR20 can not play AAC formated files...
Actually... It can't even play native MP3.... what it does play is a LPCM format.

ViiV, WMP11, Twonky, and some other media servers, convert MP3 files to LPCM format..

I don't know of any media server out there that will take an AAC format, and convert/provide it in the compatible LPCM format.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

*Always* rip your CDs to MP3 if you want to make sure you can play them on any player made. It may not be the best format to encode in but it's the most universal. FYI that iTunes does nothing for universal play by default, only for itself.

#11 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:38 AM

http://en.wikipedia....ed_Audio_Coding

Apple could have DRMed MP3 files, but they chose not to because AAC offers better sound at similar compression rates as MP3.

Not to throw this thread completely off topic but...

Better sound? That's highly debateable.

Having done comparisons between AAC and MP3 files ripped using Audiograbber with the LAME plug-in, AAC can't hold a candle to MP3 especially at rates higher than 160.

True, Apple could have chosen to use DRMed MP3 files. But Apple is all about keeping things Apple. Using DRMed AAC assured them of that.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:21 AM

I always thought the advantage of AAC was smaller file size at comparable bit rates.

#13 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

I always thought the advantage of AAC was smaller file size at comparable bit rates.

It might be but if you can't play them on all players then it's useless (to me). Car stereos for example can play MP3s from CD, not AAC or OGG files.

Thus I ripped my 400 CD collection to 192 kps MP3. I could care less about file size, hard drive space is cheap. I can still fit 500 or so songs on a single CD and they all fit on my Creative Zen. And again, MP3 is the "universal" digital music format that will play in or on just about anything. Thus why I don't really care about other formats that are better then MP3. Yea, they are better but they aren't as portable.

#14 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

It might be but if you can't play them on all players then it's useless (to me). Car stereos for example can play MP3s from CD, not AAC or OGG files.

Thus I ripped my 400 CD collection to 192 kps MP3. I could care less about file size, hard drive space is cheap. I can still fit 500 or so songs on a single CD and they all fit on my Creative Zen. And again, MP3 is the "universal" digital music format that will play in or on just about anything. Thus why I don't really care about other formats that are better then MP3. Yea, they are better but they aren't as portable.

I agree, MP3 remains the best format for universal compatibility. My entire collection of 2000+ CDs is encoded with LAME using its "extreme" VBR setting. This produces files that--even when played on a quality stereo system--in almost all cases are indistinguishable from the original uncompressed audio, as demonstrated in many blind listening tests. (I do have a backup of each in FLAC format in case I ever want to encode them differently in the future.)

Plus, at 49 my hearing isn't what it used to be at the highest frequencies, anyway ;)

I do use a Squeezebox for networked audio, rather than the HR20...and it will access a number of other audio formats should I desire.

#15 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:51 PM

Smaller file size...yes. Comparable sound quality? Nope.

I will give you that 128k AAC does sound a little better than 128k MP3 using LAME.

But I think 128k anything sounds lousy.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#16 OFFLINE   likegadgets

likegadgets

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

I have a large library of my own CD's in iTunes on the ACC format.
(Not purchased or downloaded from Apple).

Is there a way to batch conver them from ACC to any format that the HR20 will play (not on the fly - but a permanent conversion)?

Thanks

#17 OFFLINE   Rob55

Rob55

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:41 PM

I have a large library of my own CD's in iTunes on the ACC format.
(Not purchased or downloaded from Apple).

Is there a way to batch conver them from ACC to any format that the HR20 will play (not on the fly - but a permanent conversion)?

Thanks

How large is large? Yes, you could blow up your computer by selecting your entire library, right clicking on the highlighted files and then selecting "convert selection to MP3" (assuming that you changed your encoding preferences to MP-3 first). iTunes will then proceed to convert you entire library to Mp-3 form, duplicating your entire collection. I've never done this for more than a 100 or so files (I converted some 320k stuff to 256k AAC) so i can't comment on how it might work with a 1000 files for example.

#18 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

EyeConnect (Mac) streams non DRM AAC(MP4) just fine. I ripped a CD to check. I have one iTunes+ song and it plays as well

#19 OFFLINE   likegadgets

likegadgets

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:37 PM

Thanks Rob55 - great tip.

macavez00 - I have a PC but will check EyeConnect (Mac) and see if there is an equivalent PC version

#20 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:37 AM

EyeConnect (Mac) streams non DRM AAC(MP4) just fine. I ripped a CD to check. I have one iTunes+ song and it plays as well

Still doesn't help since the HR20 doesn't stream AAC files (DRM'd or not).

Always rip to MP3, it's still the universal format.

spam firewall