Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA dropouts on 622 input

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Surveyor98

Surveyor98

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:53 PM

I have a 622 and an OTA antenna. I have had OTA dropouts, pixilation, frame freezes, etc. on one of my digital channels (Fox 7 out of Austin, TX.) ever since I hooked the 622 up. All the other channels are fine for the most part.

I finally isolated the problem and want to see if I can get advice on how to fix it. The issue is that when the OTA antenna is hooked directly to my HDTV (Sony Bravia), I get absolutely NO dropouts, pixilation, etc. As soon as I hook the antenna to the antenna input on the 622, the drops are rampant with that channel and minimal on the other channels. Is this a problem with the input connection of the 622? Can anyone give any advice about how I can correct the issue?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

What type of antenna do you have? Is it indoor or outdoors? What signal strength do you show on your 622 on the OTA digital station that you are having problems with?

If the signal strength is good you may want to go to antenna web and put in your address and see what direction the station is in relation to where you have your antenna pointed. It is in a different directions than your other stations you may need to re-point your antenna or get a different antenna.
Bill R

#3 OFFLINE   Surveyor98

Surveyor98

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for your reply, however the issue is not with the antenna. I took it outside, on top of the roof and had my girlfriend read signal strengths to me. While hooked to the 622, I never got a good signal without dropouts, even while on the roof and pointing directly at the broadcast tower. While connected directly to the TV, I get great signal strength and absolutely NO dropouts.

The issue has to be with the 622 and a poor OTA tuner or it's inability to deal with multipath as well as my Sony XBR Bravia. I found another thread on this forum dealing with this issue, but no one actually had a solution, which is why I'm asking now.

As I think about it now, I'm thinking that L3.65 MAY have caused (or at least increased the problem). The issue seemed to become worse since it spooled. Is the UHF in some way controlled by the software? Do you think maybe the way the 622 handles the multipath was influenced by L3.65?

#4 OFFLINE   mraroid

mraroid

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:02 AM

I have a 622 and an OTA antenna. I have had OTA dropouts, pixilation, frame freezes, etc. on one of my digital channels (Fox 7 out of Austin, TX.) ever since I hooked the 622 up. All the other channels are fine for the most part.Thanks

Do you have a 2nd antenna input in your Sony? That may solve the viewing problem, but maybe you want to use the 622 to record OTA TV?

mraroid

#5 OFFLINE   TreeFarm

TreeFarm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:35 AM

I see two possibilities.

1. The signal is weak, and the Bravia is better at weak signal reception.

2. The signal is strong but multipathing, and the Bravia is better at handling multipath.

Try using a splitter to feed the signal to both the 622 and the Bravia at the same time. This will drop the signal level 3DB. If the situation improves, it is an indication you have multipathing issues. If it worsens, it is an indication that it is a weak signal issue. If there is no change, nothing has been proved, but you can view with the signal decoded by whatever suits you best at the moment. :)

#6 OFFLINE   Traveler62

Traveler62

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:40 PM

I have the same issue with PBS HD channels 19-1 through 19-4 here in Kansas City. I posted the issue on the Local HDTV issues section of AVS forum for Kansas City (as per one mods advice, thanks!) and found another 622 owner is seeing the same thing exactly. I figure it is something the station is sending in the signal that the 622 doesn't like. I told an engineer at the station about the problem, but they didn't seem too concerned. I do get good signal strength on these channels (about 93), but every few seconds, the strength drops and then comes back. If you are seeing weak strengths on all channels, the OTA tuner on the 622 may be bad.

This forced me to buy the locals package which at least I get program info now too, that is nice. Would be nicer if it was free.

#7 OFFLINE   Surveyor98

Surveyor98

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

I will try to utilize the splitter first, but if that doesn't work, I'm complaining to Dish. If a television can utilize the signal, then the 622 sure as heck should. Thanks for your help.

#8 OFFLINE   gooders

gooders

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for your reply, however the issue is not with the antenna. I took it outside, on top of the roof and had my girlfriend read signal strengths to me.

Man she is a keeper!!! My wife just complains that it look ugly!!

I agree that the Tuner on the 622 is not as good as some TVs. I get a better consistency on my TV (Hitachi) than through 622 so I watch it via 622 when I watch, and only use 622 for recording. means a littel switching about but it's not big deal. I think it's multipathing that's my problem - it helped when i used a splitter.

#9 OFFLINE   ee1995

ee1995

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

I have an 811 with the same issue (and a Viewsonic 32" LCD that also has an internal 8VSB tuner). I was hoping that the tuner in the 622 would be better. My house has a attic antenna that works well for OTA analog. I use an RS distribution amplifier to feed the analog TV through a Dish 510 to several TVs. Neither the 811 nor the Viewsonic get any digital reception at all when connected directly to this antenna (either with or without the amp). I had to install rooftop antenna with rotor and CM UHF preamp to make the 811 work and I need to move the antenna when changing stations.

I recently bought a new Sony 50" SXRD RPTV and, just for grins, connected its 8VSB input to the attic antenna. It found all local digital station and two more distant ones and gets 100% reception on all. Never a dropout! Shows what a late generation tuner can do. I think it's about time to retire the 811. My wife wants a simpler system with one guide and the ability to change channels without changing inputs or multiple remotes so I may have to go the TW cable.

#10 OFFLINE   Cokeswigga

Cokeswigga

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

The 622 tuner was MUCH better than the 811 in my case.

#11 OFFLINE   Surveyor98

Surveyor98

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

[quote name='gooders']Man she is a keeper!!! My wife just complains that it look ugly!!

Yes, she's definitely a keeper. She's a bit of a techno-geek herself (and beautiful, I might add) so she kind of gets into this stuff. I'm trying to get everything straightened out before I have to leave town for about 16 months for a job. I'm getting the splitter today.

Too bad my Cowboys had to beat your Colts! :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   acrosby

acrosby

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

What does the 622 say your signal strength is when you change to that channel?

#13 OFFLINE   Surveyor98

Surveyor98

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:14 AM

WHen I change to Fox, it's usually showing in the upper 80's to 95 range. It will then drop to zero after a few seconds, then cut in and out in a random pattern, making watching the channel almost impossible. Makes football an very non-enjoyable process!

#14 OFFLINE   Surveyor98

Surveyor98

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

Spoke with an advance techie today. She said I've done all the troubleshooting I can do, so they will send me a replacement unit since it looks like the 622 is not dealing with the signal stream properly. I should have it by Thursday! :)

#15 OFFLINE   jhr2112

jhr2112

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

I have had Dish 2 weeks now and have had the dropout problem on fox from the start. I am getting a 100% signal from my 622 using my outside directional UHF antenna. My old Sony Directv receiver I'm using as an off air hd source receives Fox perfectly as does my hd tuner card in my computer. After configuring the connections every way I can think of, including direct connection and with a splitter and an attenuator I still get the dropouts. In reading other forums I see many 622 owners in the Austin market started having this problem at the same time. I suspect Fox changed something in the signal to cause this and I'll try calling them and see if I get a response. I'm glad this is only affecting Fox, I only watch an occasional ballgame on them.

#16 OFFLINE   Surveyor98

Surveyor98

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:13 PM

I have had Dish 2 weeks now and have had the dropout problem on fox from the start. I am getting a 100% signal from my 622 using my outside directional UHF antenna. My old Sony Directv receiver I'm using as an off air hd source receives Fox perfectly as does my hd tuner card in my computer. After configuring the connections every way I can think of, including direct connection and with a splitter and an attenuator I still get the dropouts. In reading other forums I see many 622 owners in the Austin market started having this problem at the same time. I suspect Fox changed something in the signal to cause this and I'll try calling them and see if I get a response. I'm glad this is only affecting Fox, I only watch an occasional ballgame on them.

I got my replacement receiver and hooked it up today. I then sent a letter to Dish and posted it on a new thread today because the problem still persists. I didn't see the other forums concerning Austin users. Which ones are they? I'd like to check them out.

By the way, could it be an issue with L3.65?

Thanks

#17 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

WHen I change to Fox, it's usually showing in the upper 80's to 95 range. It will then drop to zero after a few seconds, then cut in and out in a random pattern

That sounds like multipath issues to me. Some receivers are better than others at dealing with it so a replacement 622 will NOT solve the problem (as you've discovered).

#18 OFFLINE   ccapps3428

ccapps3428

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:03 PM

What is mean exactly by 'multpath'. I'm having this same problem with my 'local' OTA FOX channel mainly - but also other OTA locals too. I have a 90+ signal on my FOX channel and then it drops to 0 and I get a drop out (using the 622). I don't see this dropout when I'm using the 'direct' connection to my Hitachi HDTV. I do have a splitter on my antenna feed - so I can feed the Hitachi direct and to the 622.

#19 OFFLINE   jhr2112

jhr2112

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

That sounds like multipath issues to me. Some receivers are better than others at dealing with it so a replacement 622 will NOT solve the problem (as you've discovered).

Not a multipath issue, I have a directional yagi outdoor antenna with rotator pointed right at fox and we put a scope on it to check multipath. We are getting multipath from the cbs station but the reciever holds onto that signal just fine just not fox .I am betting fox is the problem although I do notice the 622 is not as good a ota receiver that my directv was or the one in my hd tuner card. I wish dish used the hd tivo's, they have great receivers in them. (for $800 tho)

#20 OFFLINE   jhr2112

jhr2112

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

I got my replacement receiver and hooked it up today. I then sent a letter to Dish and posted it on a new thread today because the problem still persists. I didn't see the other forums concerning Austin users. Which ones are they? I'd like to check them out.

By the way, could it be an issue with L3.65?

Thanks

I'm going to call Fox on Tuesday and see if I can talk to a tech. I hear that Austin is going to get the local hd's on Satellite soon but I still want to be able to record ota when it rains.

Fox 7 KTBC Austin (512) 476-7777

Protected By... spam firewall...And...