Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA dropouts on 622 input

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   texasdoc01

texasdoc01

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

I live in Austin and have the identical problem. I can watch the Fox station on my Mitsubishi Diamond Series TV with no trouble as long as the antenna is connected directly to the set, but using the Dish receiver's tuner renders this station basically unwatchable due to constant dropouts. The signal strength is actually quite high.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sbturner

sbturner

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

I live in Austin and have the identical problem. I can watch the Fox station on my Mitsubishi Diamond Series TV with no trouble as long as the antenna is connected directly to the set, but using the Dish receiver's tuner renders this station basically unwatchable due to constant dropouts. The signal strength is actually quite high.

I have the same problem with WTLH Fox 49 out Tallahassee, Florida. I get 80-90 signal range and drops out every few seconds. Drives me nuts!! It sounds like maybe it's a FOX problem?

#23 OFFLINE   jhr2112

jhr2112

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

I just talked to the Chief Engineer at KTBC fox 7 in Austin and he is aware of the issue with the dish Vip 622. He said to try a 3db attenuator in-line before the antenna input of your receiver. Fox is broadcast on a very high frequency (channel 58 in HD, the receiver re names it 7.1) That high frequency causes some cheep receivers (vip 622) to not stay locked.That explains why my old Sony Directv receiver worked so well, it is a better quality receiver. When you add the attenuator you should run setup again and find the locals. I will try this this afternoon and let you know it it works.

#24 OFFLINE   Surveyor98

Surveyor98

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

I just talked to the Chief Engineer at KTBC fox 7 in Austin and he is aware of the issue with the dish Vip 622. He said to try a 3db attenuator in-line before the antenna input of your receiver. Fox is broadcast on a very high frequency (channel 58 in HD, the receiver re names it 7.1) That high frequency causes some cheep receivers (vip 622) to not stay locked.That explains why my old Sony Directv receiver worked so well, it is a better quality receiver. When you add the attenuator you should run setup again and find the locals. I will try this this afternoon and let you know it it works.

Any luck with the attenuator? I'm curious because I'll try it also if it works for you.

#25 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 704 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:36 AM

In another thread, "NBC Local problem Columbus Ohio" (http://dbstalk.com/s...ad.php?t=73453), several people were complaining about the same thing.

To summarize, it started happening to VIP622 viewers of a Columbus station after they upgraded their HDTV transmitter. When the station switched back to their old equipment, the problem went away.

#26 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:20 PM

The 622 tuner was MUCH better than the 811 in my case.

I am in Temecula also but more outside of town, past the wineries and up in the hills off Anza Road. Where are you in Temecula and what digital stations are you able to pull in? I haven't bothered with an OTA antenna since antennaweb said the only digital I would have access to is PBS San Bernardino.

#27 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:46 PM

Here is another thread where this same problem has been discussed.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ight=Austin Fox

I too have moved my rca indoor antenna to my Sony and split the signal to both the TV and the 622. The TV receives the signal just fine. Let us know how the attennuator works. If it does then I am onboard in getting one as well.
Can you let us know where you got the attenuator from?
Did the engineer say if the reduction in signal strength will affect the ota channels?

thanks
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

#28 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:02 AM

My 622 will nor recognize DTV channel 19.1 out of Monroe Louisiana but my mistubishi tv has no problems with it. When scaning for channels on 622 it tries to lock in on 19 but will not do. My TV tuner has no problems with this channel and never pixalates on this channel. I have never gotten the 622 to lock in on this channel so I can't tell you the signal strength but tv has no problems with it. This is the only channel that does this. This channels frequency assignment is 19.
Also the 622 locks up EVERYTIME I scan and save a change on OTA.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#29 OFFLINE   FaxMan

FaxMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:52 AM

A FOX engineer here in Tallahassee says he's identified the problem and is working on the solution.

Hello I have discovered a problem many of you already know of and have. The Dish 622 box will lockup/drop out when receiving WTLH Fox49's feed. You probably don't have a problem with your antenna if you receive the other stations without problems.

The problem is on our end and involves timing (pcr). The microwave should not be the problem can't blame it anymore have to find something else.
I am working on it with help from Dish. More as I can.

My fingers are crossed. Hopefully he can get connected with the folks in Austin. Or, if anybody on this board has any suggestions regarding "timing (pcr)", please speak up.

#30 OFFLINE   Cokeswigga

Cokeswigga

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:20 AM

I am in Temecula also but more outside of town, past the wineries and up in the hills off Anza Road. Where are you in Temecula and what digital stations are you able to pull in? I haven't bothered with an OTA antenna since antennaweb said the only digital I would have access to is PBS San Bernardino.

I tried antenna web today, and no stations show up for me... they did a few weeks ago, so I dunno whats up with that site.

Anyways....

The antenna I have is the winegard HD-9095 with an AP-4700 pre-amp
The OTA gives signals stengths on a scale of 0-100
I can get CBS usually with signals in the 90s
FOX, NBC, ABC are in the 70-80's.
I never bothered trying to get any other stations.
This antenna is on the highest point of roof, and is on a 10 foot mast, so it's pretty high up.

I actually just orded an AP-4800 preamp, so I will update you next week, if this preamp works better. This is a higher gain pre-amp. Sometimes, during bad weather, the OTA signals drop to the 60's, so I amp hoping that this will help just a little.

#31 OFFLINE   CricTic

CricTic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

Glad to see this issue is getting some renewed attention. Maybe it'll even get fixed before 24 starts up! :)

I have my antenna hooked to both my TV and my 622 via a splitter that attenuates 3.5 dB, and have been noticing the dropouts for some time. On a lark, I tried removing the splitter, but noticed no chance to the KTBC reception performance. I also tried leaving the splitter in and connecting another attenuator to the back of the antenna (the same attenuator that ships with the receiver that you connect to TV2 coax if you're using it to drive a TV directly ... I'm pretty sure it's 3 dB). My KTBC signal dropped out entirely ... I'm guessing it was attenuated too much at that point.

I tried contacting KTBC but got nowhere. It sounds like someone has an open line with the KTBC engineer ... please stay on them with this, your fellow Austinites appreciate it!

#32 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

I tried antenna web today, and no stations show up for me... they did a few weeks ago, so I dunno whats up with that site.

Anyways....

The antenna I have is the winegard HD-9095 with an AP-4700 pre-amp
The OTA gives signals stengths on a scale of 0-100
I can get CBS usually with signals in the 90s
FOX, NBC, ABC are in the 70-80's.
I never bothered trying to get any other stations.
This antenna is on the highest point of roof, and is on a 10 foot mast, so it's pretty high up.

I actually just orded an AP-4800 preamp, so I will update you next week, if this preamp works better. This is a higher gain pre-amp. Sometimes, during bad weather, the OTA signals drop to the 60's, so I amp hoping that this will help just a little.

Thanks, Cokeswigga, ignore the pm I sent you.

#33 OFFLINE   Surveyor98

Surveyor98

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

Personally I think it's a problem with Fox's transmitters not synching perfectly with the 622. The 622 freaks and can't handle it. This seemed to get worse AFTER the last update was downloaded.

Oh, well. I'm going to be out of the country for a year or so. Was trying to get it fixed before I left so the girlfriend wouldn't have to deal with it. Maybe they will fix it before I get back. Thanks to everyone for all their input.

#34 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

A FOX engineer here in Tallahassee says he's identified the problem and is working on the solution.

My fingers are crossed. Hopefully he can get connected with the folks in Austin. Or, if anybody on this board has any suggestions regarding "timing (pcr)", please speak up.

FAXMAN,
Is there someone in Tallahassee that we can tell the engineer here in Austin to contact for more info.

thanks
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

#35 OFFLINE   Vasanth B

Vasanth B

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

I tried both a 6dB and 10dB antennuator and can confirm this does not work. I have ViP 622, KTBC here in Austin, a roof-mounted CM-4228 antenna and good quality cabling. The problem started after KTBC made an "exciter upgrade" on their tower here in Austin. I can't post a link yet as I'm under 5 posts but find the 'Austin, TX' thread in the "Local HDTV Info and Reception" sub-forum under HDTV forum on AVSForum.com.

EDIT: These last few posts about the Talla Engineer seem like the first breakthrough in the chronic issue. I'll post something on AVSForum and point folks there to this thread to see if the poster there with the KTBC Engineer's ear can get him in touch with the Talla WTLH Engineer.

#36 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:08 AM

I have sent an email to both the Fox 7 engineering dept. and an engineer at Fox 49 to try and get them on the same page. We will see where it goes.
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

#37 OFFLINE   jhr2112

jhr2112

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

Any luck with the attenuator? I'm curious because I'll try it also if it works for you.

Well I tried putting a splitter in-line that has a 3db drop but no luck.He called me back yesterday and said he will send a 3db pad to me soon to see if this helps. I take it he wants the ota signal to be lower than 90, right now with the splitter in-line it is still 95. He said after putting the attenuator in-line we should let the receiver reprogram the locals in. I will let you know if this works..BTW, the signal meter on these receivers are for reference only and not any actual measurement of any kind, just there to help you aim an antenna.

I find it funny that the satellite signal is 110%. Ever tried to fill a glass 110%?

#38 OFFLINE   CricTic

CricTic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the update. Please let the KTBC engineer know that if he needs more guinea pigs in the Austin area, I'm available (and I'm sure others on this board would jump at the chance as well).

#39 OFFLINE   Cokeswigga

Cokeswigga

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

****UPDATE******

The "upgraded pre-amp" only caused more problems. I actually removed the pre-amp and connected the antenna straight to the receiver and it works flawlessly.

So no pre-amp needed (for my setup) turns out the preamp was overloading the signal

#40 OFFLINE   FaxMan

FaxMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:23 PM

FAXMAN,
Is there someone in Tallahassee that we can tell the engineer here in Austin to contact for more info.

thanks

I don't have a direct contact, but this thread at AVS Forum is where we're discussing it. (you may need to go up or down a few posts)

spam firewall