Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA dropouts on 622 input

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:27 PM

I live in Warrior, Alabama very hilly terrain and have had the 622 for about a month now. I have markets to the north and south of me. My preffered market is to the south and on my Hitachi with OTA tuner I get all channels with few dropouts unless bad weather but has trouble with the market to the north. But the 622 is just the opposite. Can't get Fox affiliate to the south at all but I get the market to the north with frequent dropouts unless perfect weather conditions. I have struggled greatly with this and tonight noticed there was a fair amount of heat on the 622. I raised it up about an inch hoping to improve cooling then started my ritual of trying to "fine tune my locals". I have a confidence level of about 1 out of 100 because the weather conditions are ideal tonight but my locals are 100% better so far. I still can't get FOX to the south but everything else is much more stable singnal levels only varying 3 or 4 points instead of 20 or more. I can only say I have my fingers crossed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jgurley

jgurley

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:54 AM

This problem with Fox may be more widespread than in the markets mentioned here so far. I live in the mountains of VA, have an attic mounted CM Stealthtenna and received all locals except Fox.

Most of the networks, including Fox, broadcast from a mountain top 7 miles to my west, ABC and WWCW are 24 miles east. My strongest signals have always been the eastern ones even though my antenna is pointed west, which means I'm probably being overshot somewhat by the closer networks. My 622 has never reported any signal from the Fox tower.

I do have one question. Does anyone know a what point the 622 locks on to a signal? My old receiver (Voom) would show whatever the signal strength it was getting and report "Locked On" or "Not Locked". The 622 shows zero on Fox but I can't help but wonder if in fact it's getting some signal, just not strong enough to lock.

I'm about to move my antenna outside which involves some very serious effort and am thinking it would be bad if my Fox signal was only a very few points below the 622's lock on point and all I really need to do is probe in my attic for a spot where I can get Fox. It's one thing to have zero signal, and another to have 49 and only need 50 to lock on.

So, what's the lock on point of the 622?
Hopper & 2 Joeys
42" Plasma
36" LCD
26" LCD
Salem, VA

#43 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

I recorded "House" on Tuesday night but have not had a chance to watch it. I will report back if the audio is not working.

EDIT: I watched house last night and had no video or audio problems at all.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#44 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

Oh well I am fairly certain that the heat was not the trouble. I still have a much more stable signal but I am experiencing a few more drop outs tonight than last night even though I still have good weather. I do get the FOX affiliate to the north with the 622 so I'm not sure that it can be blamed on FOX...

#45 OFFLINE   jhr2112

jhr2112

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

Any luck with the attenuator? I'm curious because I'll try it also if it works for you.

I went out and purchased my own attenuator and that did not fix anything. I called Dish and talked to tech support and they claim they have never heard of this problem but would start a trouble ticket...I understand the locals will be in HD on the Sat sometime this year and that might be the only fix for this. As for now I don't watch fox anymore. I would switch to Directv but the upgrade fee for the 622 was a non refundable $200. If Dish or fox7 would call each other the problem might get resolved.

#46 OFFLINE   CricTic

CricTic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

I just called 'em too ... interestingly enough the lady I talked to (really nice BTW) said she had an entry in the system for it. It wasn't helpful at all (contact the station, check antennaweb.org, etc.) but it seems like they're aware of it now.

I added my voice to yours, so maybe if enough people do that they'll be more driven to solve the problem (especially if other markets are seeing the same thing).

#47 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:46 AM

I went out and purchased my own attenuator and that did not fix anything. I called Dish and talked to tech support and they claim they have never heard of this problem but would start a trouble ticket...I understand the locals will be in HD on the Sat sometime this year and that might be the only fix for this. As for now I don't watch fox anymore. I would switch to Directv but the upgrade fee for the 622 was a non refundable $200. If Dish or fox7 would call each other the problem might get resolved.

Is this for everyone?

#48 OFFLINE   Tylast

Tylast

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:44 AM

Also the 622 locks up EVERYTIME I scan and save a change on OTA.

Same here. Takes exactly 60 seconds then everything goes dark. I have to pull the plug & wait for it to boot up again, but everything is fine after that. Is annoying though.
Muzikfetish
ViP622 & Samsung 5067

#49 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

Same here. Takes exactly 60 seconds then everything goes dark. I have to pull the plug & wait for it to boot up again, but everything is fine after that. Is annoying though.

When it does this just hold the power button down for approx 10 seconds and it will go thru a soft reboot. No need to unplug. Every once in a while after I reboot the TV and receiver handshake does not work. When this happens I just change my tv from HDMI TO INPUT 1 THEN BACK TO HDMI.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#50 OFFLINE   goldieloxx

goldieloxx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

I'm experiencing the same thing with FOX in the Tri Cities area of Washington state.

I'm showing good signal strength but my receiver will not lock onto the signal. My VIP211 in another room is having the same problem. Those in my area with a D* tuner aren't having the same issue, so I think it's a E* problem.

#51 OFFLINE   Tylast

Tylast

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

When it does this just hold the power button down for approx 10 seconds and it will go thru a soft reboot. No need to unplug. Every once in a while after I reboot the TV and receiver handshake does not work. When this happens I just change my tv from HDMI TO INPUT 1 THEN BACK TO HDMI.

Thanks!
Muzikfetish
ViP622 & Samsung 5067

#52 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:15 AM

I called Dish last night to report the problem as well. I had to escalate to a mgr to get a complaint logged and sent to the engineers but hopefully it will help. He still insisted it wasn't a problem with the 622. He made reference in the log that it was also occurring in Tall. Fl
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

#53 OFFLINE   gazookas

gazookas

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:42 PM

Like some others, I was having trouble with my local Fox station (Ch. 45) in Baltimore on my OTA/DiP 622 combo. Picture would sporadically drop out or pixelate despite good signal strength (low to mid 80's). Other OTA channels seemed to be fine.

Went through a lot of steps with Dish tech rep including Dish sending a signal to the box, me rescanning locals, and rebooting receiver.

I don't know what signal the rep sent, but she said something about "fully activating the DVR to receive OTA". I was puzzled since I was getting OTA locals prior to the signal.

In any case, I am not 100% sure yet, but it seems to have helped. A very limited amount of watching Fox 45 has not shown any pixelation or dropouts.

I will try to post again to let everyone know if the problems are really gone or not.

Good luck to all!

#54 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

It looks like there are some similarities with problems and FOX TV stations. The same holds true here.

All other digital stations work fine here. The FOX station works fine on other than my 622 receivers. The signal will drop to zero and return it normally holds a steady 84 signal for the FOX station, but since they returned to the airwaves on January 10, 2007, having been off for two days, the signal fluctuates from 75 to 87. The video constantly pixelates and the moving images are choppy. When the signal drops to zero the yellow 739 error screen appears as does the information screen 316 appears for the FOX recorded programs. The symptoms are like those caused from multi-path, but this is not the case.

Engineers at the TV station inform that they had to replace an, "exciter" at the transmitter. The first and temporary replacement was a manufacturer loaner which had older software with known issues to some ATSC tuners. They replaced the loaner with a new exciter that is supposed to have new software resolving the issues, the same symptoms are still present. The TV station is working on the problem with the manufacturer. This makes me question if the other FOX stations have the same component and software which is causing the problem?

I contacted E* by phone two days ago. Tech support said there were no other reported problems. They sent a report to engineering. I also sent a detailed letter to E* as follow-up.

It seems that generally, when there are minor problems with digital transmissions, the 622 (and my friends 211) have problems and will not work properly while the majority of other brand ATSC tuners in HDTV's, cable company ATSC tuners, and D* ATSC tuners work just fine. Even first generation ATSC tuners are working with this less than perfect signal problem.

#55 OFFLINE   FaxMan

FaxMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

It appears that possibly a Fox Engineer in Memphis has found/fixed their variant of the problem.

Look up and down a few posts for the discussion, solution, results.

http://www.avsforum....T2B#post9513976

#56 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

Interesting post DTV Dave made regarding the manufacturer of this "exciter" device all of a sudden getting lots of calls from TV stations asking for the old firmware version.... I wonder if this could be related to a recent problem our local ABC (WKEF) has developed ?? In our 'local' case though, it's affecting far more than just E* and D* receivers. Even Time Warner customers are seeing it.

#57 OFFLINE   CricTic

CricTic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:42 AM

Awesome news!

Can someone get the word back to KTBC?

#58 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:43 AM

I sent them an email Sat. copying Tall. Fl and will try to follow up with a call today. I spoke to an engineer Friday but he was trying to tell me to download 6.3b (D*). I told him that wasn't for Dish but he wouldn't agree. Wish me luck today.
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

#59 OFFLINE   FaxMan

FaxMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

I was just in contact with the Tallahassee Engineer. Unfortunately, they use different equipment so no easy fix here. He indicated that it seems to be PSIP related and is somewhat connected to the national feed. :(

#60 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:18 PM

The station got the exciter problem fixed. The 622's are working well here.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...