Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA dropouts on 622 input

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

Well,
I spoke with the Chief engineer here in Austin and unfortunately the Memphis fix won't work for Austin. They use a different Exciter.
He was very knowledgeable and helpful in trying to put it in laymen's terms.
The sad part is there isn't anything he can do if Dish doesn't work with them. He said it may have something to do with the high frequency they have to broadcast on.
He did say that in Feb 2009 they will be able to broadcast on the VHF 07 frequency. So I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel, albeit 2 years from now.
He said they are willing to provide support for their viewers here but in order to do that they need a unit to beta test. According to the engineer Dish won't talk to them.
All Fox said is give us a beta unit to test, all we need is for the OTA piece to function. Does the receiver have to be activated in order for the OTA to work? Does it take a miracle for this to happen?

I think at this point is quite apparent that Fox is within the FCC regulations for transmission. I base this on the fact our TV's can pick up the signal and decode it just fine.
With that said Fox here in Austin won't take it further as this is their stance as well.
I find it funny that our fellow Austinites with D* had the same problem with their receivers until a recent sw patch of 6.3b corrected their issues.

Does anyone know what changes D* made to their tuner to pick it up? Can we find out?

So this is a plea for Dish Network and their engineers to get in touch with the engineers at Fox here in Austin to see what can be fixed either by Fox or Dish Network.
If they would like his contact information I received his ok to pass it along.
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   CricTic

CricTic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

Maybe you should email ceo@dishnetwork.com (or whatever the fast track customer service address is)? I would do it myself but since you have been in contact with the KTBC guys you would probably be a better go-between.

#63 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

That is my next step. I have worked with someone over there in the past. They were very helpful.

I am first going to see if I get help from this forum first before I go that route.
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

#64 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

I spoke with my local Fox affiliate in Birmingham, Al. He too is working on a fix for this problem. I am very impressed with the assistance provided so far. Birmingham also has a different exciter so the Memphis fix won't work here either. I would like to say thanks to everyone for posting this information and keeping us all informed.

#65 OFFLINE   FaxMan

FaxMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

I wonder if possibly Birmingham, Austin, and Tallahassee all have the same equipment or if we could encourage the engineers to talk with each other?

UT_Texan, regarding frequency. Our Fox affiliate broadcasts on digital 50 here in Tallahassee. The local CBS channel is on 46 though and comes in just fine. What Freq are you on?

Folks who have any kind of HD tuner other than the 622 are able to receive the Fox signal just fine.

#66 OFFLINE   austindude

austindude

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

I have the same problem here in Cedar Park. The signal strength goes from the 80's to 0 and the signal is lost. It makes FOX unwatchable.

This problem started around 3 weeks ago.

I have a ViP211.

#67 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

FaxMan,
Fox is on Freq 56.1 uhf is what I believe he said but comes in as channel 7.1. They use a "tallus" exciter here in Austin. Not sure about the spelling. I get channels on 54 and 62 just fine but not sure what their freq is.

I sent an email last week and this weekend to both Tallahassee and Austin.
Tall. mentioned that it might be related to a "pcr" issue.

I am going to give it a day or two to see if we get support from someone here before I contact the executive office of E*.

I ask anyone who is having issues receiving their FOX OTA to contact E* and report it and insist a complaint be logged that is sent to the engineers.

The only way this will get resolved is if E* and Fox stations work together to discover the issue so that one of them can implement a fix.
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

#68 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:28 PM

Birmingham, Al. Fox is UHF Channel 50 also I am having trouble with our NBC affiliate which is channel 52 but I am receiving CBS channel 30 and PBS channel 53 and CW which is channel 28. All of these stations are within 1 degree from my location and all at 28.6 - 28.8 miles away and I get all of them on my TV with no trouble at all. As a matter of fact Fox may very well be the strongest OTA station through the TV tuner. By the way the transmitter is Birmingham is a Larcan with a Zenith/LG exciter.

#69 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:21 AM

Email from Dish Network... I can see that they are really concerned. If this is not kosher someone please remove this. Thanks.

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee reception of non-DISH Network programming with our receivers. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

We hope we have properly addressed your concerns. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link: http://tech.dishnetw...tal/index.shtml.

Thanks,

Technical E-mail Support

Dish Network

#70 OFFLINE   FaxMan

FaxMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:47 AM

I ask anyone who is having issues receiving their FOX OTA to contact E* and report it and insist a complaint be logged that is sent to the engineers.

Any suggestion regarding which method or phone number to talk to them to make sure that we don't just get lost in the shuffle?

#71 OFFLINE   makers78

makers78

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

FaxMan,
Fox is on Freq 56.1 uhf is what I believe he said but comes in as channel 7.1. They use a "tallus" exciter here in Austin. Not sure about the spelling. I get channels on 54 and 62 just fine but not sure what their freq is.

I

According to AntennaWeb.org:

channel frequency
62 (KAKW) 13
54 (KNVA) 49
7 (KTBC) 56

#72 OFFLINE   Barrysb

Barrysb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:59 PM

To those who are a having a problem with one OTA channel, you might want to try my work-around. Can't promise it will work and it seems a bit counter-intuitive, but inserting a large amount of attenuation in the antenna feed stopped my 622 receiver from having intermittent still frames, pixelation, sound motorboating, and signal loss error messages on one of my local channels. I had to insert over 20 dB of attenuation where the signal strength dropped to the mid 70s before it stopped acting up. This is a band-aid and not a solution to the problem.

#73 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:43 AM

I have sent a note over to my contact in the executive office and to quality@echostar.com for help.
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

#74 OFFLINE   Barrysb

Barrysb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

I have sent a note over to my contact in the executive office and to quality@echostar.com for help.

Thanks, I reported my work-around to Dish's technical group. Hard to tell whether it got through to the right people or not. Also, since I'm not aware of anyone else trying this band-aid, I can't be sure if this is just a fluke situation in my case.

#75 OFFLINE   cwc

cwc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

Any luck with the attenuator? I'm curious because I'll try it also if it works for you.

I am a new Dish Network subscriber this month, with a 622 and a 211. I am having the same issue with both receivers. I have an OTA antenna in the attic and all the other local channels are received with a signal of 85 - 100 and all lock just fine. 7.1 gets a signal of 90-94 and then it goes to 0 with the same unlock or pixelations. I have tried amplifiers at the antenna output but that has not worked.

I would definitely like to know if the attenuator solves the problem. I hate having to watch "24" in SD.

CW

#76 OFFLINE   Barrysb

Barrysb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:39 AM

I would definitely like to know if the attenuator solves the problem. I hate having to watch "24" in SD.

CW

FWIW, Here's a source.

#77 OFFLINE   FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

I'm a new Dish subscriber in Austin who also has been having the dropout problems on my 622 for OTA KTBC Fox 7.1. I do not have this issue when i tune directly using the tuner in my Sony Bravia. I have gone a little pyscho trying out every indoor antenna i could get my hands on hoping it would help. While i was trying to get the 622's signal for OTA as high as possible which seems to make sense (higher than the 85 or so i seem to get regardless of the brand of antenna), the worse the dropouts got. I have found that a signal in the 60 to 70 range eliminates the dropouts. That then causes low signal on all the other Austin OTA channels, so it isnt an option for me...But there has gotta be something to Fox not liking a strong signal...what in the strong signal is overloading the 622... Admit i'm not a techie on any of this, just something to think about...

#78 OFFLINE   Barrysb

Barrysb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:03 AM

I have found that a signal in the 60 to 70 range eliminates the dropouts. That then causes low signal on all the other Austin OTA channels, so it isnt an option for me...But there has gotta be something to Fox not liking a strong signal...what in the strong signal is overloading the 622... Admit i'm not a techie on any of this, just something to think about...

Thanks for this input. At least I now know I'm not the only one that has found lowering the signal to the mid-seventies solved the drop-out problem. I ended up with a switch that is set to provide attenuation for my problem station and then it allows me to remove the attenuation when I watch weaker channels. Not a great situation but it works.

BTW, I think there is something in the problem signal that causes the 622 to loose sync, but it's reported as a lost signal. It isn't overloading the 622.

#79 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

I am hoping that since it has been since January since anyone has posted that this hasn't gone away. I keep checking back to see if there has been any further developments but it seems rather quite.

#80 OFFLINE   Barrysb

Barrysb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

I am hoping that since it has been since January since anyone has posted that this hasn't gone away. I keep checking back to see if there has been any further developments but it seems rather quite.

It hasn't gone away for me. I'm still switching attenuation in or out depending which channel I'm watching. This past week, the signal strength increased a bit on my problem station and the pic started breaking up. Couldn't increase attenuation. Hope this is just a short term problem.

spam firewall