Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA dropouts on 622 input

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   brantlew

brantlew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

Kyle,

With that antenna, you can just remove all of the metal elements and replace them with a pair of dipoles. It's easy. PM me about it.

Excellent analysis Mr 72! This is a really annoying issue for us Austinites and I think you have really nailed it. I live in South Austin (Slaughter/Manchaca) and have also gone through a series of antenna installations to try and resolve my reception issues. Same story here - I've got the 622 and a roof mounted DB2 with all my reception levels above 78 and Fox at 95 but with frequent drops. I don't want to attenuate everything because I easily lose KNVA 54 once it drops into the low 70's so the selective attenuation of KVUE seems to be the best solution. I don't mind constructing a custom antenna but I am not much of an RF engineer. Can you post a how-to for constructing your custom antenna tuned to UHF 22 & 49. I know it involves cutting and attaching metal elements tuned to specific frequencies but I would feel much more confident just following a guide written by someone who knew what the heck they were doing. I think this would help a bunch of us here in Austin.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:29 PM

Software update L401 def seems to have fixed the dropouts on the 622. I've had a perfect picture all day so far! (L401 is being slowly rolled to the 622s- some people got it this week, others may get it next week if the update is deemed stable by Dish).

#153 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:35 PM

Software update L401 def seems to have fixed the dropouts on the 622. I've had a perfect picture all day so far! (L401 is being slowly rolled to the 622s- some people got it this week, others may get it next week if the update is deemed stable by Dish).

The release of L401 may have been around the same time that the station got their problem fixed. L401 has gravely affected the quality of the problem KCVU FOX channel here. Then again, maybe E* worked directly with that problem company for the TV station where you are having problem. It would be great to know if others in your area, with ViP receivers not having L401, are seeing improvement in signal quality.

#154 OFFLINE   Mike Russell

Mike Russell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

L4.01 also seems to have fixed the OTA problem for KOLR channel 10 in Springfield Mo. I hope they can send the same fix down on my 942 as it is still messing up on OTA.

#155 OFFLINE   GaDog

GaDog

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

L4.01 seems to have solved the OTA problems for WTLH FOX in Tallahassee, too.

#156 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

Hasn't done a thing for Mobile/Pensacola locals.. I am still getting dropouts, Pixelation and such even after L4.01. No better or no worse. Just the same so nothing in the new software has helped my problem.
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
-------------------------------------
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
-------------------------------------
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

#157 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

Well I haven't been following this very much because I just gave up. But tonight I sat down & thought hmmmm let me try my fox channel. Wait I must have done something wrong I have a picture. Let me see check the program guide & ..... it is Fox I have a picture. Is it Fathers day & my family bought me a 500' Tower and a new HD antenna? A quick trot outside and no tower and no new antenna. Let me try my NBC affiliate which I have never got. Whoa... I have a picture there too. Quick let me look on DBSTalk.... new software.... cool but wait I only have L366. Please let L401 go smoothly I am getting better results right now than I have ever recieved. I am keeping my fingers crossed because conditions here vary wildly at times. But so far so good.

#158 OFFLINE   makers78

makers78

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:18 AM

As of yesterday I have sw L403 and all the locals are looking good on my 622. I previously had 30dB of attenuation to get a passable FOX picture, however it killed my CW reception to the point we couldn't watch it. I'll check again tonight when everyone is broadcasting HD programming but it looks like Dish has resolved this issue for me!

#159 OFFLINE   Barrysb

Barrysb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

As of yesterday I have sw L403 and all the locals are looking good on my 622. I previously had 30dB of attenuation to get a passable FOX picture, however it killed my CW reception to the point we couldn't watch it. I'll check again tonight when everyone is broadcasting HD programming but it looks like Dish has resolved this issue for me!

L4.03 solved the problem I was having with WAVY-DT as well.

It sure would be interesting to find out what was causing the problem and why attenuation stabilized the condition. My theory was, since coherent AGC in the receiver was dependent on a transmitter signal condition, the Dish receiver AGC instability was caused by some unique condition that it wasn't programmed to understand. Adding attenuation caused the AGC to shut down thus eliminating the affect of the condition but not solving it.

#160 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:12 AM

For the past week our FOX OTA station is working well. This has nothing to do with either software download L401 or L403. The FOX OTA station removed or disabled the problematic Axcera exciter. The station has been transmitting on low power only. I'll report back once they return to full power to see if this very long term problem is corrected.

#161 OFFLINE   luvjava

luvjava

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:22 AM

I'm in the same area a Barrysb and 4.03 also cleared up my drop-out issues.

BUT for some reason, my OTA audio levels seem to be much lower that the same Chan received via sat.

(Note: This audio issue is only found when using HDMI. Audio levels are equal when Switching between SAT and OTA while on composite output.)

Bill

#162 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:37 AM

I've always seen OTA vs satellite volume differences at times. I'd guess this is introduced by E*'s uplink processing. Used to see it with D*, also. It's interesting to see the video delay between OTA and satellite; they must be doing a lot of something to the feed.

My avatar says it all.

#163 OFFLINE   luvjava

luvjava

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

I've always seen OTA vs satellite volume differences at times. I'd guess this is introduced by E*'s uplink processing. Used to see it with D*, also. It's interesting to see the video delay between OTA and satellite; they must be doing a lot of something to the feed.

The delay is induced in the MPEG encoding process at the uplink and the addition of 44K to 88K miles of signal travel to it to get the uplink and then back to you (including the trip or two to space )

Bill

#164 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

This is wandering OT (quite) a bit, but how does the uplink center get the video? I just assumed it would already be MPEG-2 encoded, since anything that's transmitted via ATSC is encoded. Even for the NTSC stuff, I'd think it would already be digitized and encoded when E* got it.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you, clearly there is processing happening, since the delay caused by the distance only amounts to 250msec per round-trip. Just curious, that's all.

My avatar says it all.

#165 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

My OTA dropouts have once again increased. After about 2 weeks of Fox being one of my most stable stations (99% with no dropouts)I can hardly see any channel now. The only difference is the foliage on the trees. I can't believe that the digital signal is this dang finicky. One thing that I have noticed... If I bring up the guide and just let it sit there for a moment it seems to stabilize my signal somewhat. I have seen a channel go from totally useless to being able to actually watch with few dropouts.Once the picture has stabilized in the guide window I just escape out of the guide. I can't believe that would have any effect but it sure seems to help.

#166 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:35 AM

The trees won't have that effect on OTA reception like they do with SAT reception.
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...