Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA dropouts on 622 input

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   luvjava

luvjava

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:22 AM

I'm in the same area a Barrysb and 4.03 also cleared up my drop-out issues.

BUT for some reason, my OTA audio levels seem to be much lower that the same Chan received via sat.

(Note: This audio issue is only found when using HDMI. Audio levels are equal when Switching between SAT and OTA while on composite output.)

Bill

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:37 AM

I've always seen OTA vs satellite volume differences at times. I'd guess this is introduced by E*'s uplink processing. Used to see it with D*, also. It's interesting to see the video delay between OTA and satellite; they must be doing a lot of something to the feed.

My avatar says it all.

#163 OFFLINE   luvjava

luvjava

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

I've always seen OTA vs satellite volume differences at times. I'd guess this is introduced by E*'s uplink processing. Used to see it with D*, also. It's interesting to see the video delay between OTA and satellite; they must be doing a lot of something to the feed.

The delay is induced in the MPEG encoding process at the uplink and the addition of 44K to 88K miles of signal travel to it to get the uplink and then back to you (including the trip or two to space )

Bill

#164 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

This is wandering OT (quite) a bit, but how does the uplink center get the video? I just assumed it would already be MPEG-2 encoded, since anything that's transmitted via ATSC is encoded. Even for the NTSC stuff, I'd think it would already be digitized and encoded when E* got it.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you, clearly there is processing happening, since the delay caused by the distance only amounts to 250msec per round-trip. Just curious, that's all.

My avatar says it all.

#165 OFFLINE   bstech

bstech

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

My OTA dropouts have once again increased. After about 2 weeks of Fox being one of my most stable stations (99% with no dropouts)I can hardly see any channel now. The only difference is the foliage on the trees. I can't believe that the digital signal is this dang finicky. One thing that I have noticed... If I bring up the guide and just let it sit there for a moment it seems to stabilize my signal somewhat. I have seen a channel go from totally useless to being able to actually watch with few dropouts.Once the picture has stabilized in the guide window I just escape out of the guide. I can't believe that would have any effect but it sure seems to help.

#166 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:35 AM

The trees won't have that effect on OTA reception like they do with SAT reception.
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...