Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

First Run vs. Repeat Logic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

When I got my first HR20, everything was in first runs. Now everything is in repeats. It seems like the episode I use to establish the Series Link (the first one it finds) is getting recorded even though the series link clearly says "first runs" and this is a repeat.

I seem to remember that it takes the HR20 a while to do enough housekeeping to determine first runs vs. repeats, but I don't remember how long.

If an RBR is the best way to get the logic working right I'm inclined to wait since I'm scared that an RBR will brick my new HR20 (probably just superstition but still).

Can anyone weigh in on this and straighten me out?

Thanks --
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:36 PM

When I got my first HR20, everything was in first runs. Now everything is in repeats. It seems like the episode I use to establish the Series Link (the first one it finds) is getting recorded even though the series link clearly says "first runs" and this is a repeat.

I seem to remember that it takes the HR20 a while to do enough housekeeping to determine first runs vs. repeats, but I don't remember how long.

If an RBR is the best way to get the logic working right I'm inclined to wait since I'm scared that an RBR will brick my new HR20 (probably just superstition but still).

Thanks --

I'm hoping someone will have an explanation for you. My HR20 doesn't seem to like Star Trek Enterprise. When I set the series link for 1st runs, it cancels everything for some reason. If I select first run and repeats, it records everything.

I've tried deleting and reestablshing the series link a few times. It just doesn't like that show for some reason. OTOH, it has no problems with BSG or Dr. Who as series links. Weird.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

FYI: Enterprise is all repeats, there are no first runs. It used to run on UPN before going to UHD and elsewhere.

#4 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

I'm hoping someone will have an explanation for you. My HR20 doesn't seem to like Star Trek Enterprise. When I set the series link for 1st runs, it cancels everything for some reason. If I select first run and repeats, it records everything.

I've tried deleting and reestablshing the series link a few times. It just doesn't like that show for some reason. OTOH, it has no problems with BSG or Dr. Who as series links. Weird.

enterprise is all reruns.. last episode several years ago..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#5 OFFLINE   BillPear

BillPear

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:58 PM

Thanks --

I can maybe help with the RBR, if you have had your unit long enough for it to receive an automatic software update, it has already gone through a reset and
I wouldn't worry about it.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

Thanks --

Another way to get housekeeping started sooner is to turn the HR20 off (really standby). Then it knows you aren't watching so can start its review earlier.

Good luck,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:31 PM

Good advice. it's on standby now... we'll see if it figures it out.

#8 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:04 AM

enterprise is all reruns.. last episode several years ago..

I know, I used to watch it in glorious SD. What I mean is, for the HDNET broadcasts, wouldn't it be considered "first run" since they have just started showing the first season in HD?

#9 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:49 AM

No! First run means First run, not a first on a different channel or a first run in a different format cause these are really reruns. It means first run
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#10 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:22 AM

Please take the Wish List Survey again and put a high priority on:

Provide accurate repeat/first run INFO so the right shows can be recorded

The information is so bad now that the only way is to set to record Both instead of Reruns or First Runs.

Another problem is that as you point out the reruns can be on different channels.

The HR20 is supposed to be able to Autorecord on all channels after a Title Search but that is broken too:

Allow Autorecord after a Search by Title as described in the manual on pp. 20 & 31

But wait you say, you could still Autorecord a Keyword Search! Sorry! Because Channels I Receive is broken, Search and Autorecord are broken.

Here are those Wishlist items:

"Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package" p. 33

Apply Current/Favorite Channels as a filter to Search for “just what you want to watch” p. 31

If only the HR20 would do what the manual says it will do...

We got OTA and MP3's. Still not a bad Christmas.

- Craig

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:29 AM

Will do, Craig. FYI I've put these items highest priority before, and launched my own "Channels I Receive" thread on two forums (this and General D*)

#12 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:13 AM

Will do, Craig. FYI I've put these items highest priority before, and launched my own "Channels I Receive" thread on two forums (this and General D*)

I will follow you over there as well. We need as much attention on this as we can get.

- Craig

#13 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

No! First run means First run, not a first on a different channel or a first run in a different format cause these are really reruns. It means first run

If that is true, then the logic needs to be revised.

To me "first run" means first run an a particular channel. The first time Battlestar Galactica runs in HD on Universal HD is a "first run" in my mind, despite the fact that the original premier was a crappy SD broadcast on the Sci Fi channel.:D

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

If that is true, then the logic needs to be revised.

To me "first run" means first run an a particular channel. The first time Battlestar Galactica runs in HD on Universal HD is a "first run" in my mind, despite the fact that the original premier was a crappy SD broadcast on the Sci Fi channel.:D

To me a first run means it has never appeared anywhere. You can argue that BSG on UHD is first run because it's never run anywhere in that format before, I could see that, but I would argue that first run is a self-explanatory term, the first time it has ever run.

#15 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

To me a first run means it has never appeared anywhere. You can argue that BSG on UHD is first run because it's never run anywhere in that format before, I could see that, but I would argue that first run is a self-explanatory term, the first time it has ever run.

TV Guide and everyone else labels it a rerun once it has been shown on any channel.

Networks play games with word to say things like: First time on Network TV! That way they can claim first rights even if it has played on HBO for a year. Networks do that and put first run in their description streams.

- Craig

#16 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

TV Guide and everyone else labels it a rerun once it has been shown on any channel.

Networks play games with word to say things like: First time on Network TV! That way they can claim first rights even if it has played on HBO for a year. Networks do that and put first run in their description streams.

- Craig

Well, there still needs to a logic change then, otherwise the DVR will record EVERY repeat of the same episode broadcast within the same week. That is absurd and requires a lot of deleting of duplicate episodes.:eek2:

spam firewall