Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Vista HR20 Media Sharing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brewer4

brewer4

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:22 PM

It may already be posted but I thought I would let folks know that a non-Viiv PC running Vista makes the media visible on the HR20. You dont need Twonky or any third party tools. I am running Vista RC2 64-Bit Ultimate on an AMD chip. Works pretty well. You just have to configure media sharing on the server.
The Meaning of Life...

Well there's nothing really special

Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in,
and try to live together in peace and harmony with all people of creeds and nations.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dwenn

dwenn

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:26 PM

So happy.
I have XP Pro - NO VIIV NO VISTA!
With 108 I could PING to internet and my computer noticed the HR20 but with limited connection.
With 10b I have access to all of my music and pictures.

I have a straight Ethernet connection. No hub, router, switcher in my case. ( My broadband is connected via a USB port)
Samsung 32" LCD
Slimline Dish and OTA Antennna
DirecTV Since 1997
Tivo 14 hour still running since 1999
DirecTivo still running since 2001
HR20 Since October 2006

#3 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:29 AM

I posted the step-by-step instruction here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=74426

Would you look them over and see if there is anything to add or change?

- Craig

#4 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

So happy.
I have XP Pro - NO VIIV NO VISTA!
With 108 I could PING to internet and my computer noticed the HR20 but with limited connection.
With 10b I have access to all of my music and pictures.

I have a straight Ethernet connection. No hub, router, switcher in my case. ( My broadband is connected via a USB port)

So how did you provide the share to the HR20, WMP11?
What Service Pack level is Pro at?

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#5 OFFLINE   newcs

newcs

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:37 AM

It may already be posted but I thought I would let folks know that a non-Viiv PC running Vista makes the media visible on the HR20. You dont need Twonky or any third party tools. I am running Vista RC2 64-Bit Ultimate on an AMD chip. Works pretty well. You just have to configure media sharing on the server.

I signed up for the beta test with Vista. Just had to pay the cost of shipping ($14) and originally Microsoft sent Beta 2, then RC1 the kits included 2 DVD's one for 32 bit the other 64 bit edition. However never got the RC2 edition, I think that's for subscribers of the Technet etc.. only. If you didn't want to get the shipment, you could download vista and burn it yourself to save on the shipping. I prefer just to pay the shipping and get the DVD's. The DVD's will work until sometime in June 2007.

I recently purchased a new PC from Compaq (HP) and I qualify for a free upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium. Should be getting the DVD by the end of February. If you buy a new PC between October 26, 2006 and March 15, 2007 you get the upgrade for free from Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2. That's worth about $169. versus paying for the upgrade retail. You can send in the receipt provided by the retailer or go online and do the express upgrade. Compaq/HP will provide the upgrade for free. Other manufacturers are charging for the upgrade.

My PC model uses ATI motherboard with Avivo, which I believe is the branding similiar to Intel Viiv. Windows MCE GUI uses my Nero Ultra Editon extreme 7 drivers and is compatible with the ATI Avivo. I have the ATI thearte 650pro TV card installed to which works with Cable/ATSC/DVB-T etc. So I can connect any video/audio via Composite and record from a STB, it even can use Component with the right adapter. I can make copies of movies & programs to the hard drive or burn them to DVD, even content protected programs.

#6 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

Great Instructions. Using WMP 11 my HR20 started showing pictures and playing music on the first try. Thank you for your contribution.

Set this up on a networked lap top:

HP DV5000 AMD 2.2G Chip
Windows Home Edition SP2
DLink Wireless Network
DWL-G820 Bridge Adapter to the HR20

Plays all available music, pictures, including iTunes. I would recommend that anyone wanting to use a wireless network to the HR20, make sure you have a stable working connection. The WMP11 took less then 5 minutes to configure.

#7 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:20 AM

Vista works fine because WMP11 comes installed with it.

#8 OFFLINE   carrot

carrot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:52 AM

Anyone figured how to set the resolution on pictures?

I get a crappy badly rendered 480P ish resolution for all. Is this set in the server, a hidden menu in the client or hardwired somewhere?

I hope it's not limited by the 10MIPS of processing left in the Broadcom chip.

#9 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

I recently purchased a new PC from Compaq (HP) and I qualify for a free upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium. Should be getting the DVD by the end of February. If you buy a new PC between October 26, 2006 and March 15, 2007 you get the upgrade for free from Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2. That's worth about $169. versus paying for the upgrade retail. You can send in the receipt provided by the retailer or go online and do the express upgrade. Compaq/HP will provide the upgrade for free. Other manufacturers are charging for the upgrade.

HP/Compaq is doing the right thing.

I am currently working on a Beta 2 version of VMware Workstation. This will let me run any OS in a virtual machine world. It will support Vista as well.

-Mark-
3/98

#10 OFFLINE   BETTS

BETTS

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:47 AM

i have a hr20 and it says im conected to the network and the internet. but i still cant get it to download on ondemand. it just sits at 0%. i am using a router with it. any info plssssss. thanks keithbetts@gmail.com

#11 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:53 AM

i have a hr20 and it says im conected to the network and the internet. but i still cant get it to download on ondemand. it just sits at 0%. i am using a router with it. any info plssssss. thanks keithbetts@gmail.com

Wow, this is an old thread.

I suggest turning off ALL firewalls and trying it again. Then start turning them on and adjusting them by adding in http://www. directv.com and *directv.com and so on until you get it going with proper security set.

-Mark-
3/98

#12 ONLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

WMP11 is avable for WindowsXP from Microsoft's web site. It will also work on the HR20/21's. So you don't have to have Vista or Viiv system.

#13 OFFLINE   BETTS

BETTS

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

it says im conected to the internet but still want download ?

WMP11 is avable for WindowsXP from Microsoft's web site. It will also work on the HR20/21's. So you don't have to have Vista or Viiv system.

#14 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

Wow, this is an old thread.

I suggest turning off ALL firewalls and trying it again. Then start turning them on and adjusting them by adding in http://www. directv.com and *directv.com and so on until you get it going with proper security set.

If it works with the windows firewall OFF, just go to a command prompt and type "netstat -a" and you will see the port that is being used and whether it is UDP or TCP. Then go to the firewall and create a port exception for that port. Then make sure you turn the firewall back on.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...