Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Networking Your HD-DVR+

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
501 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

By networking your HD DVR+, you can play music, photos, & videos from your PC:
Media Share (Your PC does not have to be a Viiv PC)

You can then use DIRECTV on Demand to download movies and programs to your HD DVR?
DoD OverviewDoD FAQ (Again, your PC does not have to be a Viiv PC)

This is a great place to start whether you have a Viiv PC or not:
DirecTV / Viiv Quick Start Guide

Next, click on the HR20-Networking-Tips-Tricks.pdf link below to get started.

Also see Earl's excellent ViiV Documentation (Also applies to non-Viiv pC's!):
HR20: Networking and ViiV

More help:
If you want to try TVersity instead of WMP11...

If you want to try Twonky instead of WMP11...

Using Routers, Bridges, and other Advanced Techniques

HR20 Media Sharing; WMP11 How-To (Consolidated)

Note: HD Access must be enabled to have DIRECTV on Demand (VOD).

- Craig

Previous versions:
1.1 adds more detailed instructions.
1.0 6,722 dounloads.

Attached Files

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:41 PM

Can't you just run a ethernet cable between the hr20-700 & your computer
w/o using a wireless network? It looks to me like this is just a simple file sharing thing. Why do you have to connect to Directv's routers? Is it because
of a Viiv thing?

#3 OFFLINE   brewer4

brewer4

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:31 PM

w/o using a wireless network? It looks to me like this is just a simple file sharing thing. Why do you have to connect to Directv's routers? Is it because
of a Viiv thing?

It doesnt have to be wireless but a router helps (any router will do). It gives out IP addresses to the boxes and tells each other how to get ahold of the other. So I guess you could use a CROSSOVER cable and have the 2 talk to each other. A Crossover looks like a regular network cable but the wires are flipped since the communication is going from PC to PC. You would then have to manually type in the IP address and DNS server. So its possible to do, but just get a $20 router, use ethernet wires and save yourself the pain.
The Meaning of Life...

Well there's nothing really special

Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in,
and try to live together in peace and harmony with all people of creeds and nations.

#4 OFFLINE   dwenn

dwenn

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

of a Viiv thing?

My PC and the HR20 are connected via a 25' Cat 5E cable directly.
Only saw each other with 108 but everything kicked in just fine with the 10b software.
Samsung 32" LCD
Slimline Dish and OTA Antennna
DirecTV Since 1997
Tivo 14 hour still running since 1999
DirecTivo still running since 2001
HR20 Since October 2006

#5 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

My PC and the HR20 are connected via a 25' Cat 5E cable directly.
Only saw each other with 108 but everything kicked in just fine with the 10b software.

-----------
I am interested in trying this...I assume you are using WMP11 as a agent?
Could you describe in detail what steps you used to connect? Any problems
yet(slo/no responce etc). Thanks! (I also could use my son's game adapter a Linksys WGA-54G)
if needed

#6 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

but just get a $20 router, use ethernet wires and save yourself the pain.

If my PC wasn't more than 100' away and upstairs (or my house was ethernet wired), then this would definately be the way to go. So I'm to having to painfully go the wireless ethernet adapter route, and hopefully will get it going this way.

#7 OFFLINE   tjdevaul

tjdevaul

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

I have both connected(wired) to my WRT54G Router. The router can see both but they can't see each other. What am I missing?

#8 OFFLINE   dwenn

dwenn

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

-----------
I am interested in trying this...I assume you are using WMP11 as a agent?
Could you describe in detail what steps you used to connect? Any problems
yet(slo/no responce etc). Thanks! (I also could use my son's game adapter a Linksys WGA-54G)
if needed

Moonman- Yes WMP11 also running XP Pro.
Details on connection - Cat 5E network cable one end into port on HR20 one into port on PC.
In my case I have units in separate sides of large family room and drilled holes in two corners and ran wire under the floor. Yes wireless may work but I had no concerns about the holes. a 25ft cable can be had on-line for under $10 but will cost you more in most retail stores.

When I first connected under software 108 the PC saw the HR20 as a networked device but WMP11 did not. I could hit the internet connection with the HR20.

So honestly I was about to become quite frustrated. In WMP11 you may need to go to the Library tab -you get the drop down options and select media sharing. In 108 I couldn't get this to see the HR-20. I told it to auto share with any new connections.

After 10b software came down I happened to hit menu and there was Photos & Music right under My Playlist. Selected it and it basically takes you through a wizard hook up. Real quick and simple. Now when I look at WMP11 Media Sharing Options it does see the HR20 as an unknown device. So I presume 10b had something to do with that. so as long as you have 10b which you should this should work now.

Also as a note indeed I do not have VIIV or VIsta. Many have suggested a NAS if your computer is off but ours is basically always on.

Good luck.

I have been meaning to post a general review of the entire feature but don't have time now. In general like much of the box it is great while it works but could use some user tips for future changes.
Samsung 32" LCD
Slimline Dish and OTA Antennna
DirecTV Since 1997
Tivo 14 hour still running since 1999
DirecTivo still running since 2001
HR20 Since October 2006

#9 OFFLINE   Ismert

Ismert

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:55 AM

[quote name='Milominderbinder2']Attached below are step-by-step instructions for networking your HR20 with a non-Viiv PC.

I have my HR20 network to a Windows XP with Media Player V11. All shares setup. HR20 sees the PC and shared Folders I am able to play 3 x MP3s and it disconnects, 5 minutes later HR20 will see my PC and again can only play 3 MP3s again just to get disconnected, I have tried various MP3s using shuffle, playlist folders but no matter what I can only play 3.

Anybody have any ideas on what is causing this problem?

#10 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:10 PM

Moonman- Yes WMP11 also running XP Pro.
Details on connection - Cat 5E network cable one end into port on HR20 one into port on PC.

Thanks a whole bunch....my computer is only 15 ft. from the HR-20, so I will
not have to drill any holes!:D ..Thanks for the help!!

#11 OFFLINE   bbqdewd

bbqdewd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

I hooked up on Thursday, 2 days ago, was working fine for photos and music, but I didn't try but 2 Songs, I did view about 30 pictures. I actually setup WMP11 on 2 systems, and could see both on the HR20. WMP11 is running on both of my computers (WinXP on both, no Media Center) HR20 is hardwired to the switch. Today I don't have the menu on the HR20 at all any more, went through setup again, sees everything fine, but no option on the menu. Did a RBR, took it through setup again, and whammo, it's back. Amazing!

#12 OFFLINE   TDLA

TDLA

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:15 PM

Aside from the Linksys WRT54G/WRT54AG wireless adapters listed above, are there other wireless options that I can also investigate that will also work?

#13 OFFLINE   ymmv51

ymmv51

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:29 PM

I tried the D-Link DWL-G820 (really good price at buy.com, using google checkout), and was able to get our HR20 to see both our computers on the first try. I followed the directions in the HR20 Networking-Tips-Tricks pdf (thanks to all who contributed) running Media Player 11 and set up sharing. Even learned that it is not necessary to have Media Player 11 running once sharing is enabled, the HR20 can connect with the computers anyway.

I set up a playlist of Christmas music and prior years' Christmas photos and had both going when my wife came in, and sat and watched for about an hour. Even with the limited controls currently available, this is great!:D

I just tried and was successful in connecting to both the computers on my home wireless network, the laptop which is a wireless connection is supplying photos and the desktop with the ethernet connection to the Netgear wireless router/access point is supplying music. Never expected this to work.

ymmv51

#14 OFFLINE   dezufnoC

dezufnoC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

[quote name='Ismert'][quote name='Milominderbinder2']Attached below are step-by-step instructions for networking your HR20 with a non-Viiv PC.

I have my HR20 network to a Windows XP with Media Player V11. All shares setup. HR20 sees the PC and shared Folders I am able to play 3 x MP3s and it disconnects, 5 minutes later HR20 will see my PC and again can only play 3 MP3s again just to get disconnected, I have tried various MP3s using shuffle, playlist folders but no matter what I can only play 3.

Anybody have any ideas on what is causing this problem?[/QUOTE]

I noticed this same thing when I played some songs on here. I even created a playlist and also skipped a song or two in my play list. One thing I noted was that as the 3rd song was playing a note appeared on my screen that said "The server "name of my pc" has logged off." and gave me the option to say OK. I did nothing and sure enough the music was disconnected and I was back to watching and listening to the channel D8 was on.
Sony KDL-55V5100
Sony KDL-46V5100
Westinghouse LTV-32w1
(3)Dtv-HR 20-700 w/ whole home dvr service
1 Seagate 1.5TB FreeAgent Xtreme eSATA
1 Thecus N2050 / 1 TB Raid 0 (2 Maxtor MaxLine Pro 7H500FO 500 gig hard drives)
Harmony 880
LG BH200 networked

#15 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:17 AM

If my PC wasn't more than 100' away and upstairs (or my house was ethernet wired), then this would definately be the way to go. So I'm to having to painfully go the wireless ethernet adapter route, and hopefully will get it going this way.

Why dont you try powerline adapters. They cost from 70$-100$ and may work well depending on how your home is wired. Just try to avoid powerstrips and plug them in to the wall outlet or a strip with no "surege protectors" (these tend to filter the signal riding over the power lines).

#16 OFFLINE   brianxmurray

brianxmurray

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

Has anyone tried streaming video to the HR-20? I have a collection of AVI files I would like to stream.

#17 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:48 PM

Has anyone tried streaming video to the HR-20? I have a collection of AVI files I would like to stream.

Video streaming is not operation on the HR20 (at this point anyways) from what I hear from those who've tried.

#18 OFFLINE   digideals

digideals

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

I'm frustrated and perhaps y'all can help. I've got Vista Ultimate and cannot get my Media Sharing to recognize the HR20. It appears in my local network, even reports that it is a media device. But, I cannot get access to the HR20 media sharing menu.

On the HR20 - it shows that it is connected to the Internet. On my Xbox 360 I can view all the media. However, when adding the Extender feature on the 360, the process fails as it "cannot configure extender settings". But, I am able to view the media non-the-less.

What am I missing? I've started all the media services in admin tools, I've reset the computer and the HR20 countless of times. I'm not using a software firewall - there has to be something simple I'm overlooking - what could it be?

Thanks for your thoughts / suggestions.

#19 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

Have you tried WMP11 or Twonky?

#20 OFFLINE   tbh999

tbh999

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

Has anyone tried streaming from a NAS? I have an 1.6T Infrant Ready NAS NV+ that I use specifically for streaming audio files. It has numerous services that can be turned on (iTunes Streaming Server, Slimserver, Home Media Streaming Server, and UPnP AV) But it is not Intel based, therefore no ViiV.

spam firewall