Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Getting back to paused TV??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dreslism

dreslism

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

The other night I hit pause while watching a live football game.

I left the room for about 25 minutes, when I came back, one of the kids jumped and and was watching TV.

The kids said we did not goof anything up, we just started playing a recorded show with the DVR, so your program is still paused.

I said Ok smarty pants, how do I get back to my paused show?

I could not find a way to get back to the paused show I was watching, and when I finally went back, it was to live TV and I lost the 25 minutes of the game.

So, is there a way to get back to paused TV in the above situation?

Thanks,

Scott

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

IIRC, starting a recorded program empties the buffer of the live program you were watching.

#3 OFFLINE   Mojito05

Mojito05

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

IIRC, starting a recorded program empties the buffer of the live program you were watching.

Yep, that's what I've seen, too.

dreslism, you can check out the thread below (and the other thread linked within this thread) if you wanted to read more about it:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=74592

#4 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

Dish needs to buy a DirecTivo and see how it handles the buffers and copy that.

The buffer problem is my biggest complaint with the 622. It needs to be fixed.

#5 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

Like the others have said, switching to a DVR event currently clears the buffer on live/delayed TV. A 'work around' to this would be to start recording the event before leaving it paused for long periods just to be safe.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#6 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:14 PM

Another work around is to hit "Swap" and then start the DVR recording and then hit "Swap" again to go back to your program. You will have to rewind to the point that you left but you won't miss anything that way.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#7 OFFLINE   pmillick

pmillick

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:00 AM

I just installed new VIP 622 for HD. My old receiver was DishDVR 625 (non HD)
When I switch from tuner A to B while paused, program I am watching does not stay paused. With my old 625, PIP goes to half screen on 3rd button push. ( 1st push=small window, 2nd push= medium window, and 3rd button push= 1/2 screen window. When PIP does this, I know that program will remain paused when I switch from tuner A to B (without PIP active). My old receiver worked this way. My new tuner won't stay paused, and PIP only goes from small to medium with only 2 button pushes. (no half screen PIP). My old 625 (non-HD) would not stay paused on tuner swap until about a month before upgrading to HD (VIP622). Then it changed by itself (amazingly); staying paused on tuner swap (A to B) without rewind and 1/2 screen PIP on 3rd button push.
Does anyone know how to change this setting?
:confused:
I will accept email for ongoing conversations.

#8 OFFLINE   pmillick

pmillick

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

Another work around is to hit "Swap" and then start the DVR recording and then hit "Swap" again to go back to your program. You will have to rewind to the point that you left but you won't miss anything that way.

My old 625 (non-HD) dual receiver did not stay paused originally. (I had to rewind to point I was watching) Then one day, it acted differently. Programs stayed paused when I swapped from A to B. Also I noticed that PIP changed also. When pushing PIP button 3rd time, window went to half screen instead of closing PIP. Fourth PIP button push closed window. I don't know if I did something inadvertantly to change features or if it happened by itself. (Dish Network software update?)

#9 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:36 AM

My understanding from an earlier Tech Chat is the 622 is supposed to be getting this functionality on a future software release, hopefully the next one. The way I understand it the buffer will remain when you swap between tuners and I believe you will be able to pause, swap, and then swap back and remain paused. Split screen PIP is supposed to be coming as well.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

Protected By... spam firewall...And...