Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"No one forced you to get an HR20" -- HUH???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
281 replies to this topic

#276 OFFLINE   S. DiThomas

S. DiThomas

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

One thing that I has stuck with me and seems to always need repeating is the fact that many of us who have found our way to this site are considered a bit "tech savvy" and in most cases don't apply to the millions of other subscribers of DirecTV. The fact that they have started to allow us to be a part of their RC's is, to me, HUGE! Something like this is unheard of. I always sit here and try and read as much as possible and try to re-create problems so I know first hand - and think about those who "hate" the HR20 and want to "leave D*". My question is - Why? They (and Earl) are giving us, the consumer - the people whom are going to be using this product the most - the ability to make it better. I'm not saying everyone's complaints are wrong or idiotic - not at all!! It's everyone's frustrations that will make this project better, make the HR20 better than anything that has been put out on the market before.

A few posts up, Earl said he paid $1k for the HR10 (almost as much if not more troublesome than the HR20) - I was first in line at BB for the HR20 for $399 and now I feel I practically stole it for that price! From other posts, many of you got it for free and possibly, D* basically paid you for the thing. I was just glad to get one.

Of all the posts here out of frustration, I don't believe I've ever ONCE seen that DirecTV has abandoned anyone. They've always tried to remedy the situation one way or another. I know it's hard, but try and give them some credit, aside from the monthly check. :)

Aside from replacing the RF remote that went out with my Samsung box that didn't work with my new HDMI set, then sending the wrong remote, then not informing me that the RC-34 is RF already, and finally after I ordered two RF remotes for one box crediting my account for their error on the first wrong remote shipped . D* has done jack sh!^ for me. I paid for that remote more times over than I can imagine with my protection package that I pay monthly for that speicifically provides for this type of problem.

So what do I have to show for my HR20 troubles? Zero, except two "free" remotes from D* and 4 months of HD programing (funny enough, the same exact free HD offer that was sitting in my mail that week in a promo flyer mailing).

Sounds like D* likes Coffey though. Sounds like they are treating him really well.

And for allowing us to be part of their RC's - they need beta testers who are posting here and are willing to be FREE tech support for their programing staff.

Funny, I never had to beta test my Samsung, Phillips or TIVO boxes....
HR-20 (x2) (1 and 2 tuner),
JVC HD-61FN97 (1080p-HDMI to HR20 - Native - 1 tune)
(0x119 - LA Market Push on 1/18/07);
PAN 47WX49 CRT RPTV (1080i -Cmpnt to HR20 - Native - 2 tune - OTA active (0x011b- RAVEN 1 DL));
Sony XBR-910 w/Samsung SIR-TS360, DTivo 1st Gen
Triple LNB Dish (No MPEG4 yet, No VIIV, No Internet connected, and ONLY MPEG2 HD locals)
Spawn 51202 NF Powered Mutiswitch
OTA Active Murrieta, CA (Los Angeles, CA Local Market)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#277 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:49 AM

Sounds like D* likes Coffey though. Sounds like they are treating him really well.

Most everyone likes Coffey in the morning! :D Don't get me wrong, I may have one of the biggest gripes with DirecTV as they cost me over $6k and yet I still think all of this with the HR20 will just lead to bigger and better things. Once this box gets stable, future boxes will just get better and be able to expand upon what the HR20 is supposed to be doing. I do agree it is a mistake to not have competitive boxes as they have seemed to push all other manufacturers away. D* could have a reason for it but I've never heard of one.
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#278 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:51 AM

Earl:

No offense but you are completely off base with this one. D* has forced us all into ONE solution for HD DVR's. There are no competitors, the old TIVO HD-DVR does not do MPEG4, D* is going MPEG 4. They have not announced another HD-DVR.

Oh, wait D* doesn't want me as a customer any more if I want an HD-DVR. So they forced me to leave for another vendor of service?

There was no choice here except:
1) if you want D* and an HDDVR you have to get the HR20
2) if you want an HDDVR but not D*'s HR-20 you have to go to another provider to get that option?

So Earl - what's your take on the choices again? Forgo HD-DVR, get SD-DVR or just HD sans DVR? :blackeye:

D* is giving us all one really good choice - its called a class action to get a working alternative or get out of our 2 year leases on this box. A better choice for them would be a working box or a very nice - free upgrade with continued 2 year committment or a quiet release of all those who want it from the service commitment in exchange for returning this box and a $300 or price paid refund.

Think D* will give us the later choice? I don't think without some mass action on all owners part.

What can I say?
I have said it all before...

If that is how you feel...
As I have told others... if can find a lawyer that things you have a winnable case... call them... pony up the retainer... and get it going.

If you really pushed DirecTV... I bet they would let you out of your contract, with no fee. Ah well...

Well... frankly... Yes... Going without a DVR.. and just watching thing Live, is a choice. Going SD, is a choice... Going HR10-250 is a choice (they haven't been deactivated yet)... Those are all choice.. As is changing carriers...

And frankly... that is the "value" question..
Is the HR20, given all the problems it may have for you, still "better", then the choices... that is the question, you, the next guy, the next gal, the next person.... needs to make for themselves...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#279 OFFLINE   S. DiThomas

S. DiThomas

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

What can I say?
I have said it all before...

Well... frankly... Yes... Going without a DVR.. and just watching thing Live, is a choice. Going SD, is a choice... Going HR10-250 is a choice (they haven't been deactivated yet)... Those are all choice.. As is changing carriers...

Earl:

I appreciate the reply and gather you like many of us are frustrated - perhaps less so given your insider knowledge. Honestly, however, do you really think D* gave us any choice with HD MPEG4/MPEG2 boxes?

Yes it has all been said before. I don't really expect a reply to that retorical question.

I am glad to see you think D* would let some of us out of our contracts. I for one really doubt that but trust your judgement and experience. I hope with the 6th month comes around I don't have to make the decision to see what D* will do for me and push the issue. I hope there will be no issues at all with the box (at least not significant ones) by April.

I also hope that Liberty takes D* in a new direction - bring TIVO back, dump the current HR20 software and offer a new, free upgrade to either a new OS or a new box to users with issues.

April is going to be an interesting month. And for the record - most class action counsel do not require retainers - they make out like bandits in the good cases, front the expert fees, and all (and even more than all) of their fees are paid through the class actions. That's the beauty of the method. It pays for itself - at least handsomely for the attorneys for the class.

Lawsuits aren't about the money - they are about changing behavior. D* needs to realize that its behavior in releasing the HR20 to early and with too little real world testing was improper; that their behavior in committing us all to 2 year leases and a $299 lease fee on a broken box was improper, and then change their behavior voluntarilly (that means sending out notices to the subscribers with the boxes stating there are known issues, telling the users about their plan to fix same, puting a timeline on that fix and letting the customer know that if it does not come, they will offer alternatives like refunds, programming credits, or a new box made by a different vendor to "disgruntled" users). Failure to do so will be a catastropic error on their part.

At this point it seems to this uneducated non-programmer user, that D* needs to scrap the entire OS and start with one from a reliable outside vendor. Maybe Liberty will make a call to the guys and gals at TIVO and get it done right.
HR-20 (x2) (1 and 2 tuner),
JVC HD-61FN97 (1080p-HDMI to HR20 - Native - 1 tune)
(0x119 - LA Market Push on 1/18/07);
PAN 47WX49 CRT RPTV (1080i -Cmpnt to HR20 - Native - 2 tune - OTA active (0x011b- RAVEN 1 DL));
Sony XBR-910 w/Samsung SIR-TS360, DTivo 1st Gen
Triple LNB Dish (No MPEG4 yet, No VIIV, No Internet connected, and ONLY MPEG2 HD locals)
Spawn 51202 NF Powered Mutiswitch
OTA Active Murrieta, CA (Los Angeles, CA Local Market)

#280 OFFLINE   alv

alv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:37 AM

I sent a letter to the office of the president trying to get out of the contract. I received a polite but firm call saying no, be patient and the box will be fixed. So getting out the contract is either extremely difficult or impossible.

#281 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:27 AM

If you *really* want to get out of the contract you can pay the prorated monthly amount to do it. Cable usually has those "ditch the dish" promo's where they will pay that termination fee for you.

#282 OFFLINE   Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:30 AM

I sent a letter to the office of the president trying to get out of the contract. I received a polite but firm call saying no, be patient and the box will be fixed. So getting out the contract is either extremely difficult or impossible.

Wow, you'd think Bush would be too busy with Iraq and everything else to be concerned with a contractual obligation of a satellite company.

Gotta hand it to the guy, he does care about Americans.

:D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...