Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Tips -- Setup 1 HR20 to display in multiple rooms

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fancydancy

fancydancy

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

I noticed the suggestion in T&T about connecting an additional TV to an HR20 using one of the additional video outputs.

Here is my question: if my primary TV with the HR20 is 16:9 connected via HDMI, what will be coming out the regular RCA video output? I want to connect an additional TV in my basement that is a non-HD 4:3. Will the RCA video output be 16:9 or 4:3? If my 4:3 TV does in fact get a 16:9 signal, I'm guessing it will just lop off the sides, does that sound right?

I'm guessing that whatever comes out the RCA video output, it will always have 480 interlaced horizontal lines.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   pilotbob3

pilotbob3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:20 PM

I noticed the suggestion in T&T about connecting an additional TV to an HR20 using one of the additional video outputs.

Here is my question: if my primary TV with the HR20 is 16:9 connected via HDMI, what will be coming out the regular RCA video output? I want to connect an additional TV in my basement that is a non-HD 4:3. Will the RCA video output be 16:9 or 4:3? If my 4:3 TV does in fact get a 16:9 signal, I'm guessing it will just lop off the sides, does that sound right?

I'm guessing that whatever comes out the RCA video output, it will always have 480 interlaced horizontal lines.

I have the exact same setup, the 480i video is in 16x9 format, so displays squished on a 4:3 set.

#3 OFFLINE   fancydancy

fancydancy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

By "squished" do you mean the TV is squeezing the image so everyone is super skinny? That's annoying!

I have the exact same setup, the 480i video is in 16x9 format, so displays squished on a 4:3 set.

#4 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

What comes out the "normal" video output depends on the type of TV display you have selected in the setup menu. If you selected a 16:9 display, then the video output will be "squeezed" when viewed on a 4:3 TV. This can be corrected with the "format" button the remote -- if select "stretch" mode, it will restore the image to the correct aspect ratio. However, this also affects the other (component and HDMI) outputs, so if you have a 16:9 monitor connected to those, you will get a stretched-out picture on that.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any way to get the right image on both a 4:3 and 16:9 screen simultaneously. Oh, and that above "fix" only works for non-HD channels. On HD channels, the "format" button has no apparent effect.

What the HR20 needs are individual settings for the composite/S-Video (ie: 480i) outputs. I'm not aware of any DVR that has such a feature, but maybe it exists ...

#5 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

This is item 39 in the Wishlist Survey:

39 3.080↑ Ability to output 16:9 content as letterboxed on HDMI/Component and 4:3 content as fullscreen on S-Video/composite at the same time

If you have not taken the Wishlist survey in a few days, pelasse take it again. Doug updates it every Friday. The link is below.

- Craig

#6 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hey thanks, I remember looking at that once and making my selections. This one was definitely right up there. Actually I solved my particular problem in a unique way -- I have an LCD HD set in my office, but also have a small TV right by my computer so I can have things running in the background while I am working. Kind of annoying watching "squished" images, so I went out looking for a SMALL 16:9 TV. As near as I can tell, such a thing doesn't exist -- but I did find that some of these portable DVD players have a "line input" and picked up a little 8-inch Sony. Works great! Just plug in the composite output from the HR20, set the screen to "wide" and there you go. No more format wars! :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...