Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

When I delete a program why does both my SD and HD remaining time go up?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   g182237

g182237

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:32 AM

Why is it that when I sometimes erase a show that was recorded in SD, I gain time back for both the SD and HD recording sections? I gain most of the time back in SD, but I do gain a few minutes in HD. Haven't been able to figure this out. Thanks for the help peoples.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mojito05

Mojito05

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:17 AM

Why is it that when I sometimes erase a show that was recorded in SD, I gain time back for both the SD and HD recording sections? I gain most of the time back in SD, but I do gain a few minutes in HD. Haven't been able to figure this out. Thanks for the help peoples.

It's pretty simple, but when you erase a show, whether it's in SD or HD, you're freeing-up the total space/time available on your hard drive, so both sections will gain time. But because SD programming takes up less space/time than HD programming, you're always going to see more time added to SD when you delete stuff.

And here's the capacity of the ViP622 hard drive:
SD = 200 hours of recorded programming
HD = 30 hours of recorded programming

Hope that helps!

#3 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:01 AM

Can someone tell me where you can determine how much time you have left for both HD and SD recordings?

#4 OFFLINE   Cold Irons

Cold Irons

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:54 AM

This question/confusion seems to come up all the time. The 622 does not have seperate storage for SD vs. HD recordings - it's just one big storage bucket that can hold either one. The time available shows how much HD (or SD) you could potentially record if you did all HD (or all SD).

Think of the 622 as one big bucket (not 2 buckets) where you can put either grapefruit (HD) or kiwi (SD). The bucket will hold 5 times as many kiwi as grapfruit. When you remove one kiwi, your "space available for kiwi" count will go up by one, and your "space available for grapefruit" count will go up by 1/5th.

The "storage available" for HD and SD is visible on the DVR screen.
Dish: DVR 501/722/622 - with Gold HD + OTA CM4228
"She said: You can't repeat the past."
"I said: You can't? Whattya mean you can't...of course you can."

#5 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

This question/confusion seems to come up all the time. The 622 does not have seperate storage for SD vs. HD recordings - it's just one big storage bucket that can hold either one. The time available shows how much HD (or SD) you could potentially record if you did all HD (or all SD).

Think of the 622 as one big bucket (not 2 buckets) where you can put either grapefruit (HD) or kiwi (SD). The bucket will hold 5 times as many kiwi as grapfruit. When you remove one kiwi, your "space available for kiwi" count will go up by one, and your "space available for grapefruit" count will go up by 1/5th.

The "storage available" for HD and SD is visible on the DVR screen.

I see the storage available for both HD and SD but it does not change. I record mostly Sirius audio programs so maybe that is why as the songs without video must take very little space.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:53 PM

I've never recorded from the audio-only channels, but I would guess they take very little space as compared to an SD program of the same length... and similarly to an HD program of the same length beyond that.

The grapefruit/kiwi example is the best kind of example (although I usually use watermelons/apples when I do the analogy) for folks having a hard time visualizing how things are calculated.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   William

William

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:54 AM

I see the storage available for both HD and SD but it does not change. I record mostly Sirius audio programs so maybe that is why as the songs without video must take very little space.

Sirius is something like 128kbps vs something like 12mbps for HD. There is an enormous difference.

#8 OFFLINE   bruin95

bruin95

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

Can someone tell me where you can determine how much time you have left for both HD and SD recordings?

It tells you right there on the screen that lists your recorded programs.

#9 OFFLINE   William

William

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

It tells you right there on the screen that lists your recorded programs.

It actually tells you HD or SD not HD and SD because it can't.;)

#10 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

The 622 does not have seperate storage for SD vs. HD recordings - it's just one big storage bucket that can hold either one.

Just for emphasis... :)

spam firewall