Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 - A Real POS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jstefani

jstefani

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:11 AM

I don't know if anyone else is having the problems that I am, but the HR20 is a piece of crap. Since I've had the unit, it locks up while rewinding live shows causing you to have to change channels up and down to get it to unlock DirectTV support keeps having me perform resets all the time. It has the latest firmware and still locks up. The tech just came out today and forced an update. The box should have been replaced. This product should never have been released to the consumer market. I should just hook back up my HR10-250, which never gave me any problems. I should have gone the Tivo route. DirectTV should have kept their relationship with Tivo, since Tivo knows how to build a quality product.

:mad:
John J. Stefani

HR20-700s

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,555 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:24 AM

You're certainly not alone in your opinion of the HR20. But, for many of us, the HR20 is working pretty well, so it's not clear why some folks have many more problems. Many of us here would love to help you improve your HR20 experience. There's nothing stopping you from returning it, though, if you're ready to toss in the towel.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:25 AM

But, for many of us, the HR20 is working pretty well, so it's not clear why some folks have many more problems.

I too would love to know why there are so many people experiencing major problems, while others are cruising along without much trouble. Is it just a matter of flaky hardware and the luck of the draw? I'd really like to know. I have two HR20s, and outside of a couple of "black screens" with the early software, I haven't had much (if any) trouble with either one.

That said, I do still prefer the HD TiVo in just about every way. The only place where the HR20 beats it (IMHO) is in the speed of settings recordings and other similar operations.

#4 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:55 AM

I don't know if anyone else is having the problems that I am, but the HR20 is a piece of crap. Since I've had the unit, it locks up while rewinding live shows causing you to have to change channels up and down to get it to unlock DirectTV support keeps having me perform resets all the time. It has the latest firmware and still locks up. The tech just came out today and forced an update. The box should have been replaced. This product should never have been released to the consumer market. I should just hook back up my HR10-250, which never gave me any problems. I should have gone the Tivo route. DirectTV should have kept their relationship with Tivo, since Tivo knows how to build a quality product.

Nice post. Very constructive.

Honestly, if you still have your HR10 and you are one experiencing a lot of troubles, why haven't you already switched it back?

Go the TiVo route if you wish, but there a a zillion people having huge problems with their HR10's now, and the S3 TiVo is also riddled with bugs including poison channels

If you're going to say "Well, I haven't experienced any of those problems.", that's what I and many will say back to you about the HR20.

I wouldn't put up with those issues, I'm thankful I don't have them.

You can run and suckle at the teet of momma TiVo and cable, but the cost for that bug ridden device is $800 and $20/month in service.

Anyway, you have a lot of choices that are productive. Ranting here probably won't help your situation at all.

Xaa

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:48 AM

Nice post. Very constructive.

:lol: ...and on top of it, he can't make up his mind on POS (header) or POC (1st sentence in the post). :D

#6 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:53 AM

How does this thread fall under HR20 information resources? As already said here by litzdog, for many of us, the HR20 is working pretty well. To be honest, I have more faith in this than I do in my HR10s now because of missed recordings (I have 6.3a still on two of them).
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#7 OFFLINE   O2BRich

O2BRich

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

Did D* ever have you do a re-format?

Trust me mine was locking up every 10 to 15 minutes. I did a re-format and it has worked fine (in relative terms) since
Bruce
Direc TV Customer since 11/98

HR21-100 via HDMI - 60" Sony Bravia 3
HR20-700 via HDMI - 55" Samsung
HR22-100 via HDMI - 37" Toshiba
HR22-100 via HDMI - 32" Sylvania
Slimline 5, SWiM 8, Whole Home over Ethernet.

#8 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

:lol: ...and on top of it, he can't make up his mind on POS (header) or POC (1st sentence in the post). :D

That is because it is both.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

How does this thread fall under HR20 information resources?

Wondering the same thing.

Pleeeeeaaasssse.. :rolleyes:

#10 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

Pleeeeeaaasssse.. :rolleyes:

You seemed confused, I just thought I would help point out the obvious.

#11 OFFLINE   baimo

baimo

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

I wish I was this passionate about my electronics!

#12 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:45 PM

Here we go again. Strap yourselfs everyone.:P
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#13 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

The title of this post looks to accurately describe the poster :P

Try to post a little more educated.
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#14 OFFLINE   mitchelljd

mitchelljd

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

had my hr20 about 2 weeks now.

minor problems, some locking up when recording 2 programs. couldnt watch the NFL playoff game and move back and forth. had to cancel recording to be able to pause and more.

HR20, ain't as good as tivo, sure. but hope it gets better.

Directv kinda stinks and is so proprietary about this it's ridiculous. Why can't they offer multiple types of receivers like they used to? ie sony, hughes and more made them

they could offer a new tivo if they wanted to. hell, it may actually work when their homegrown POS is very marginal and buggy

#15 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

How does this thread fall under HR20 information resources? As already said here by litzdog, for many of us, the HR20 is working pretty well. To be honest, I have more faith in this than I do in my HR10s now because of missed recordings (I have 6.3a still on two of them).

"Support and discussion about the DirecTV HR20 High Definition DVR."

I think someone venting about the POS falls under the above forum heading. I have one also. Most of my recordings are the "do you wish to delete or keep" type. I am so glad I have a backup tivo unit.

I don't just come here and gripe about the HR20 bugs. I was aware of the problems before I upgraded. I would drop D* if I had another real alternative for local HD, but I don't. Small town cable (suddenlink) and too far from my local OKC towers for OTA. I figured if I was to at least watch live HD on the major networks I could tolerate the bugs until fixed. DTV did NOT deliver my local HD's as they said would happen. The lies and very buggy DVR have alot pissed off right now. I hope those at CES will make sure they know it. How hard can it be to fix these bugs?

#16 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

had my hr20 about 2 weeks now.

minor problems, some locking up when recording 2 programs. couldnt watch the NFL playoff game and move back and forth. had to cancel recording to be able to pause and more.

HR20, ain't as good as tivo, sure. but hope it gets better.

Directv kinda stinks and is so proprietary about this it's ridiculous. Why can't they offer multiple types of receivers like they used to? ie sony, hughes and more made them

they could offer a new tivo if they wanted to. hell, it may actually work when their homegrown POS is very marginal and buggy

The trick play bugs you reference are well know bugs:

Bug Name: Trick Play Disabled or stop working by mrshermanoaks
Prognosis: Annoying and can result in missed viewing.

History/Status: Currently still active in 0x10b.

Symptom: While watching live TV, no trick play buttons (rewind, ff, instant replay, skip) will work except pause. But if you pause, you cannot start play again.

Treatment: Must change channels

Bug Name: Trick Play stops working when the buffer is full by lamontcranston
Note: May be related to Trick Play Disabled or stop working
Prognosis: Old-time bug just keeps on truckin'
History/Status: Currently active in 0x10b. Active at least as far back as 0xcc.
Symptom: After 1 1/2 hours of watching TV without using trickplay or changing channels, trickplay becomes unresponsive. The cruise-control bar identifies the show that was on when the buffer started buffering, not the current program.
Treatment: Use trickplay every so often to keep this from happening. To restore function to the HR20, change channels.

The back and forth you are talking about is the lack of Dual Live Buffers AKA DLB, this is a feature they did not design in to the HR20 and is the most requested feature.

Since you are just into the box 2 weeks you might want to read some of reference posts and get to know the documented bugs http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=74448 Good luck.

#17 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

This is no different from just calling him a POS, why must you personaly attack other forum members with such insults. He is a person not a piece of equipment. Can't you disagree with out turning to a personal attack?

#18 OFFLINE   banningview

banningview

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

O.K. Why is this poster not being banned? I thought we weren't going to speak to each other this way.

BTW, I have to agree with the OP. I have D* coming by today. The HR20 CONTINUES to miss recordings, record unwatchable shows and freeze up on playback. Not sure what else to do. Yes, the HR10-250 will not be much good for MP4 later, but I do prefer it most of the time over the HR20 because IT RECORDS EVERYTHING I ASK IT TO WITHOUT FAIL! I hope I'm not asking too much of D* to put together a product that works 99.9% of the time, but I feel like the HR20 was ment to be one of those rat feeder bar experiments to slowly drive SOME people crazy. Resetting the HR20 is not the purpose of the HR20.

Have to go, RBR time...
DLB
Just DO It!:grin:

#19 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

This is no different from just calling him a POS, why must you personaly attack other forum members with such insults. He is a person not a piece of equipment. Can't you disagree with out turning to a personal attack?

Because post titles like POS & POC are getting old.

If you do not like it get rid of it and move on.

DirecTV is not putting a gun to your head.
Go somewhere else. Nuff said.
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#20 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

Because post titles like POS & POC are getting old.

If you do not like it get rid of it and move on.

DirecTV is not putting a gun to your head.
Go somewhere else. Nuff said.

Because I would like to understand the nature of who you are as a person, please help me understand. You feel it is ok to demean and insult another person and call them a "Piece of Sh!t" because you think posts from a collection of different people who are frustrated about a piece of equipment they purchased is faulty and they wish to express that frustration at the equipment (a non person) by calling it a POS, are "getting old"? Correct? If so I think I understand you better now. So much for a civil society. A polite suggestion, if you find the topic offensive to your sensibilities, disregard it, don't read it, but please don't demean others with personal attacks because of your frustration.

spam firewall