Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No mention of DBS in Keynote (But not dead for Dish or Directv)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

Cold off the presses. In bill Gate keynote speech tonight, which was all about connecting experiences, there was absolutely no mention of dbs technology. While four sources of getting HD content into the MS connected experience were listed the biggie was IPTV. Also listed were HD-DVD player, xbox 360, and xbox live.

I'll try to follow up tomorrow at the MS and Directv booths.

Respectfully submitted,
Tom

Update: both dish and directv are working on PC cards, running under Vista. Directv hopes to internally beta test second half of 2007. Dish does not have an announced timeline at this point.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:48 AM

You can watch that keynote speech here: http://www.microsoft.com/ces/

The transcript is supposed to show up soon at CESWeb.org, but I don't see it there yet.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#3 OFFLINE   mitchelljd

mitchelljd

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

well, why would gates mention DBS? DBS is a bit on the side.

And to be blunt, as long as companies like Directv keep killing off other technology they don't own, IE TIVO, we will be limited on what outside companies can do with DBS.

Echostar & Directv ought to seek out more electronics & tech companies instead of alienating them. What Directv is doing to Tivo is frustrating to the end user, let us decide what models we prefer!! don't give us only 1 option at HD DVR.

fraking morons at Directv. makes me want to go Fios when it comes.

#4 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

well, why would gates mention DBS? DBS is a bit on the side.

Perhaps since MS and D* are working on sharing content from XBox360s and MCEs with the HR20?

And to be blunt, as long as companies like Directv keep killing off other technology they don't own, IE TIVO, we will be limited on what outside companies can do with DBS.

Echostar & Directv ought to seek out more electronics & tech companies instead of alienating them. What Directv is doing to Tivo is frustrating to the end user, let us decide what models we prefer!! don't give us only 1 option at HD DVR.

fraking morons at Directv. makes me want to go Fios when it comes.

Do you seriously think that Verizon is going to give you a choice of DVRs? They're going to tell you, "Here's your DVR... take it or leave it!" In fact, no provider that I know of is now offering more than one SD and one HD DVR-and I'd be willing to wager that D* is the only one that identifies the various manufacturers of its DVRs.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

Spoke with the Directv and the dish folks. Both are working on their versions.

Directv is hoping for an formal internal beta test starting in 2nd half of 2007.

Dish has no announcement to make regarding timelines.

So, this is not dead. Biggest issues are DRM which is a Microsoft responsibility in this case.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall