Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CES: SlingBox Press Releases

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

Sling Media to Support Windows Vista With New Optimized SlingPlayer Software

2007 International CES

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sling Media, Inc., a digital lifestyle products company, today announced a customized version of its SlingPlayer software designed to take advantage of the new, powerful features being offered in the Windows Vista Premium operating system from Microsoft. Sling Media is showcasing this new functionality both in its own booth at CES (Sands, Booth #69430) as well as Microsoft’s corporate booth in the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC), Central Hall, Booth #7144 and in the Microsoft Partner Pavilion located in the North Building Silver Parking lot outside of the LVCC.

Sling Media’s Slingbox™ product line and its client software, SlingPlayer™, will include multiple new features enabled by Windows Vista. These new features include a full screen viewing mode that takes advantage of Aero Glass by allowing SlingPlayer controls and customized TV remote controls to transparently overlay on top of the video stream from the Slingbox. The Windows Vista gadgets feature will also allow multiple versions of the SlingPlayer, each attached to a separate Slingbox, to run in the Windows Sidebar. These individual video streams can be expanded and contracted by the user as interest changes from one specific video feed to many simultaneous feeds at the same time.

“Windows Vista is a major step forward for both Microsoft and its customers and we are pleased to be working closely with them to deliver innovative new features and functionality as we evolve the SlingPlayer application in 2007,” said Blake Krikorian, co-founder, chairman and CEO of Sling Media, Inc. “With Slingbox and the SlingPlayer for Windows Vista software customers now have a powerful, highly customizable video placeshifting solution enabling them to enjoy their home TV wherever they happen to be. This is especially important as more and more people are spending less time in front of their home TV and more time in front of other displays that aren’t televisions.”

New and existing Slingbox customers will be able to take advantage of SlingPlayer for Windows Vista when it first becomes available in Q2, 2007. In the interim period between launch of the Windows Vista OS and the release of the new SlingPlayer software, Slingbox customers can download and use Sling Media’s most recent version of SlingPlayer, released in late December, on their new Windows Vista-based PCs. This free download can be found at http://us.slingmedia.../downloads.html.

Sling Media and Microsoft formed a strategic relationship in 2006 to deliver this optimized solution that provides Slingbox customers with innovative new features enabled by Windows Vista. Microsoft has been Sling Media’s platform partner since the company was first incorporated in 2004 and the SlingPlayer software is built on top of the Windows Media 9 platform. The tighter marketing and business development relationship is a natural evolutionary next step as the market for placeshifting products and technologies becomes more mature in 2007, helped along by innovative new computing platforms like Windows Vista.

“We’re excited about the tremendous support and enthusiasm Sling Media is providing for Windows Vista at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show,” said Brad Goldberg, general manager for Windows Client at Microsoft Corp. “Sling Media has created great demand for placeshifting products and services. We’re pleased to be working with them to help provide technologies that will connect, entertain and hopefully surprise people by how easy this next generation of computing makes their lives.”

The Slingbox is a breakthrough consumer electronics device that enables consumers to watch their living room TV programming from wherever they are by turning virtually any Internet-connected Windows-based laptop or desktop PC or Mac and any Windows Mobile-based PDA or smartphone into a personal TV. The Slingbox redirects, or “placeshifts,” a single live TV stream from a basic cable connection, cable box, satellite receiver, Media Center Edition PC or digital video recorder (DVR) to the viewer’s PC - located anywhere in the home or anywhere in the world, via the Internet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

Sling Media and Palm Expand Mobile TV Viewing Experience With Introduction of SlingPlayer Mobile for Palm OS

Treo Smartphone Users Now Will Be Able to Watch and Control Their Home TV Experience at Broadbandlike Speeds Using Slingbox and SlingPlayer Mobile Software

2007 International CES

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sling Media, Inc., a digital lifestyle products company, and Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM), a leader in mobile computing, today announced SlingPlayer™ Mobile for Palm OS®, making it possible to watch television on the 3G-enabled Palm® Treo™ 700p smartphone.(1) The new software, expected to be available Q1 ‘07, will be demonstrated at the Anytime-Anywhere Tech Zone in the Sands Expo & Convention Center, Sling Media booth, No. 69430.

“We continue to see more customer interest in mobile TV, driven by our expanded platform support and the ability to watch the programming that matters to each customer,” said Blake Krikorian, co-founder and chief executive officer, Sling Media, Inc. “SlingPlayer Mobile for Palm OS takes the familiar SlingPlayer Mobile experience and puts that power in the hands of customers who love the Palm OS interface. By making it readily available on the most popular mobile platforms, we continue to meet our objective of creating a quality mobile TV experience for all consumers.”

SlingPlayer Mobile for Palm OS will feature a visually enticing graphical interface and enhanced navigation control while leveraging the functionality and ease of use of the Palm OS -- and specifically the Treo smartphone -- that customers have come to know and love.

“Treo smartphone customers want the coolest new mobile applications and services, and Sling Media now delivers the same powerful mobile TV experience for our Palm OS users that our Windows Mobile Treo users already enjoy,” said Mark Bercow, senior vice president of business development at Palm, Inc. “The Treo smartphone set the standard long ago for what a smartphone should be, and Palm continues to work with partners to deliver the best possible experience.”

SlingPlayer Mobile is a software client that gives Slingbox customers the ability to watch and control their home TV from a wirelessly enabled smartphone. With today’s announcement, SlingPlayer Mobile now supports Treo smartphones running both Palm OS and Windows Mobile, including the Treo 700p, the Treo 700w, the Treo 700wx and the recently announced Treo 750.

Unlike other services currently available for mobile phones and handheld computers, SlingPlayer Mobile gives consumers their entire home TV experience. Anything that they can watch on their sofas back home, they can now watch via a Treo 700p smartphone. In addition, SlingPlayer Mobile customers can control a home digital video recorder (DVR), such as a TiVo®, to record shows, watch shows that have been previously recorded, and even pause and rewind live TV.

The mobile TV experience for Palm OS is powered by the award-winning Slingbox™, a breakthrough consumer electronics product that enables consumers to watch their living room TV programming from wherever they are by turning virtually any Internet-connected Windows-based laptop or desktop into a personal TV that can be viewed on the Treo 700p. The Slingbox redirects, or “placeshifts,” a single live TV stream from a cable box, satellite receiver or DVR to the viewer’s PC — located anywhere in the home or anywhere in the world, via the Internet.

Pricing and Availability

SlingPlayer Mobile for Palm OS is expected to be available in Q1 ‘07 as a public beta download from Sling Media’s website, www.slingmedia.com. Pricing has not been finalized at this time.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

Sling Media’s SlingPlayer to Be Pre-Installed on HP Consumer Notebooks

2007 International CES

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sling Media, Inc., a digital lifestyle consumer electronics company and creator of the Slingbox™, today announced they will integrate their SlingPlayer™ software into HP’s consumer notebook lineup via HP QuickPlay. The SlingPlayer will be pre-installed on all QuickPlay-enabled HP consumer notebooks in the U.S., offering new and existing Slingbox owners a rich, networked television experience.

“Our goal with the Slingbox has always been to deliver for our customers their television programming on any and every display,” said Jason Krikorian, co-founder and EVP Business Development, Sling Media. “By pre-installing SlingPlayer on HP notebook computers, millions of consumers will be able to enjoy their TV experience in an exciting new way, via a simple touch of a button on their notebook.”

The SlingPlayer application connects to a user’s Slingbox to deliver to the notebook the same programming a user enjoys on their livingroom TV. SlingPlayer offers an array of innovative features, including customizable remote controls and superior streaming quality using the company’s proprietary SlingStream technology. Versions of SlingPlayer exist for desktop and notebook computers, as well as a variety of mobile devices.

“With HP QuickPlay, our customers have the ability to quickly and easily access their digital content without booting up,” said Mark Sanchez, vice president, Consumer Computing - North America, HP. “By adding Sling Media’s SlingPlayer to our consumer notebook line, HP is taking the next step in delivering cutting-edge digital entertainment experiences to our customers.”

Slingbox customers will find the added HP QuickPlay functionality to be another fast and easy way to access their television. With a configured Slingbox and the touch of a QuickPlay button on the HP notebook bezel or remote control, consumers have instant access to their home TV experience over their home network or over the Internet* from a remote location.

The Slingbox is a breakthrough consumer electronics product that enables consumers to watch their living room TV programming from wherever they are by turning virtually any Internet-connected Windows-based laptop, Mac and any Windows Mobile-based PDA or smartphone into a personal TV. The Slingbox redirects, or “placeshifts,” a single live TV stream from a cable box, satellite receiver, or digital video recorder (DVR) to the viewer’s PC — located anywhere in the home or anywhere in the world, via the Internet.

* Wireless access point and Internet access required and sold separately.

#4 OFFLINE   mraroid

mraroid

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

James...

Thanks for the many posts on SlingBox. I have always thought that SB was a good product. I see that Costco now carries SlingBox:

http://www.costco.com

(search for Slingbox at the above link)

I have the fantasy that I can move lovely OTA HD from my TV to my computer, and burn some DVDs of my fav Nova Science, and other TV shows and movies.

I think of saving HD on a DVD (or Blue Ray DVD) the same as I saved movies and TV shows on my Beta or SVSH VCRs. I hope I can do this soon.

mraroid

#5 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

I think SB is a great product, I have two of them. The software integration with HP is a good idea too. Their DVD quickplay is a nice feature - I'd love that with slingbox. It's fast and saves battery.

The Vista integration sounds good as well. Long term - I think if they can break the $99 price point it will bode very well for the Slingbox and it's success.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

Slingboxes are also available here:
http://store.tivocommunity.com/ :D

DBSTalk and Tivo Community are members of the AVSFamily of forums.

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

James...

Thanks for the many posts on SlingBox. I have always thought that SB was a good product. I see that Costco now carries SlingBox:

http://www.costco.com

(search for Slingbox at the above link)

I have the fantasy that I can move lovely OTA HD from my TV to my computer, and burn some DVDs of my fav Nova Science, and other TV shows and movies.

I think of saving HD on a DVD (or Blue Ray DVD) the same as I saved movies and TV shows on my Beta or SVSH VCRs. I hope I can do this soon.

mraroid

Sling does NOT send hi-def. It takes a hi-def input and down-rezes it to SD for slinging, while passing through the hi-def to another device, such as a tv.

Carl

#8 OFFLINE   mitchelljd

mitchelljd

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:52 AM

you do not need hi-def on a laptop, cell phone or PDA.

yes it would be cool when they can do that, and you can watch HD on say your vacation home tv. but for now... lets be happy they refine this product all the time.

also, Slingbox has Macintosh software... so enjoy!

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

I would not mind seeing a Sling receiver -- just a little box with a remote sensor, AV output and possibly an RF modulator that one could plug in and play and use on any TV (instead of viewing via a computer). Even if one had to control it via a web application on a nearby computer it would be nice to have a direct connection to a TV.

#10 OFFLINE   mraroid

mraroid

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

Sling does NOT send hi-def. It takes a hi-def input and down-rezes it to SD for slinging, while passing through the hi-def to another device, such as a tv.
Carl

Yea, Carl I know that. I am looking into the future. I have a high opinion of Sling Box technology. If they are the company I think they are, they may move into slinging HD to the PC or other devices - license road blocks aside; this may be the big issue, not technology.

I am a old Sony Beta II VCR guy. I saw this fight long ago with making VCR tapes of TV programs. This new technology has gotten better at time shifting and recording your fav movies & TV shows. My hope is that after the HD fever goes away, we can get back to doing what we did with VCRs and record our TV shows and movies in HD. But I could be dreaming...

mraroid

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

Sling Media Announces SlingCatcher

”Reverse Slingbox” Takes Revolutionary Approach to Delivering the Full-Blown Web and PC Digital Media Experience to The TV

2007 International CES

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sling Media, Inc., a digital lifestyle products company, today announced a new product called SlingCatcher™, designed to deliver rich video experiences to a television located in the home as well as in remote locations. Sling Media also announced the first key applications that will be a built-in part of the SlingCatcher platform at launch: SlingProjector™ and SlingPlayer for TV. Additional services and partnerships will be announced at a later date.

SlingProjector application: Full-blown digital media experiences for the TV

The SlingProjector application – bundled with every SlingCatcher – takes a radically new approach to bringing web and PC-based content to the television by enabling the consumer to wirelessly project any web site or digital audio/video format onto their TV. “Current ‘digital media adapter’ products only provide subsets of the digital media experience we have come to love on our PCs and Macs,” said Blake Krikorian, co-founder, Chairman and CEO of Sling Media. “The beauty of the Internet is its totality and diversity. Hence, the notion of providing subsets of it on the TV screen just doesn’t cut it. In keeping with our reputation of providing uncompromised and empowering solutions to consumers, the SlingProjector application enables you to enjoy a full-blown web and digital media experience on the TV. Essentially, anything that can be viewed or played on my PC can now be slung to my TV via the SlingCatcher’s SlingProjector feature.”

The core use cases for the SlingProjector feature revolve around consumers wirelessly projecting web or PC-based content from their laptop to the TV. Net-based, long form content such as movies and shows mesh wonderfully with the “lean back” nature of the home TV experience. Additionally, short form content such as funny videos, music services and home movies/pictures lend themselves very nicely to social gatherings around the big-screen TV.

SlingPlayer for TV application: Your TV on another TV

While the current Slingbox enables consumers to placeshift their favorite TV programming to a PC, Mac or mobile phone, one of the most requested features from the Sling Community has been to provide the ability to sling that same programming to another TV located in the home or to a TV in a remote location.

The SlingPlayer for TV application built into the SlingCatcher delivers an easy, familiar way for customers to move TV content around the home or access content from the home remotely via a TV, without the need for a PC or Mac in the process.

“From the very beginning our customers have asked why we didn’t offer a product that allows them to watch their home TV via the Slingbox on another TV,” continued Krikorian. “For instance, Slingbox customers have shown a desire to access their living room DVR on every TV in the home. The SlingCatcher enables them to do just that.”

Additional Applications, Services and Partnerships Forthcoming

The SlingCatcher also has the ability to download or stream content directly from the Internet and display it on a TV without the need for a PC to serve that content. Sling is currently discussing partnership opportunities with both large and small content owners to create and deliver their offerings directly to the TV via the SlingCatcher. The add-on storage capability (via hard disk drive attachment) could be utilized for direct delivery of such content. More details will be announced closer to the launch of the SlingCatcher.

---

Brief Summary of Specifications, Availability and Pricing

The SlingCatcher includes both standard definition and high definition AV outputs to connect to a TV including HDMI, Component, S-Video and Composite video, as well as analog and digital audio. In regards to network connectivity, the SlingCatcher features both integrated wireless and a standard Ethernet jack to connect to the home. SlingCatcher will be available for purchase by the middle of this year and the company is targeting a price point under $200.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

Ask and you shall receive ... Hmm, a Slingbox receiver. :)

#13 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:07 AM

I think the Slingbox is a very cool device, but what the new 'Slingcatcher' does is...

...nothing new -- I've been "slinging" video and audio around my adobe abode for
years, starting with the old wired "Rabbit" 20 years ago, and from room-to-room
wirelessly for the past 10 years. In my current configuration I can simultaneously
and wirelessly transmit live or recorded content from two HD DVRs, two DVDs,
or a combination thereof, to any or all of six displays in my home. Remote control
of video sources is easily achieved through the use of IR/RF-to-RF/IR conversion.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

I'd love to set up a SlingCatcher at work with a standard TV. There are too many things on my desktop to have a slingcast there all the time. On days such as last Tuesday when I had CNN Pipeline up all day for President Ford's funeral it was workable but distracting to have to keep hiding or moving the window to see what I was working on. I need my entire desktop some days, so the idea of stealing a column on the side of the screen for Sling is out of the question. These issues are the main reason why I've avoided getting a Sling. I didn't like their viewer.

But a small TV and a standalone SlingCatcher ... I could do this. I could also take the SlingCatcher with me when I travel. Something that the "Rabbit" just does not do.

BTW: I have a Rabbit in my basement. Worked fine until something better came along.

#15 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:37 AM

Use windows Media c /XP and connect the laptop to a second display. With Windows Media Center, you will achieve your full screen SB viewing on the secondary display while the computer screen runs on the main screen. This is how I use the small DLP Projector in my Hotel room. Watch SB shows on the dlp projector while surfing the web on the main screen. I believe Vista will offer even more options but this basic function works on XP / Media Center. Have never tried it on a desktop but it works well on the laptop.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...