Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Harmony 880 on HR-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brantel

Brantel

RBR Hitit tillit bricksit

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:57 AM

Just a note to those considering a Harmony 880 for the HR-20.

I have had it with trying to get this Harmony 880 to work with the HR-20.

It works but the problems I am having are not what you should have when paying more than $140.00 for a remote.

The unit must be placed on the charger perfectly to charge.

On key presses you never now how many times the device is going to react to whatever is being sent per press. I have tried adjusting all the timing settings and # of repeats but these have no effect on this problem. You should not get two or three guide page flips per press of the channel buttons, you should not get two or three moves of the highlighted menu items per press of the arrow buttons, you should not get two or three numbers per press of the number keys.

I think either I have a bad 880 or the database that is loaded for the 880 is crap.

Also, getting the extened trickplay features to work is a crap shoot at best. No repeatability here at all.

I am sending this thing back and I think I will try a 676. Hopefully it will be better.
Brantel
One of the Original Edge Cutters
(1) HR20-700
(1) HR24-500
SL dish with SWM
DECA Cloud Network, WHDVR
DECA Cloud to Internet Bridge
37" 1080P VIZIO LCD HDTV
55" 1080P VIZIO LED-LCD HDTV

Harmony 676 :D Love this thing! :dance:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

It works but the problems I am having are not what you should have when paying more than $140.00 for a remote.

On key presses you never now how many times the device is going to react to whatever is being sent per press. I have tried adjusting all the timing settings and # of repeats but these have no effect on this problem. You should not get two or three guide page flips per press of the channel buttons, you should not get two or three moves of the highlighted menu items per press of the arrow buttons, you should not get two or three numbers per press of the number keys.

I think either I have a bad 880 or the database that is loaded for the 880 is crap.

Also, getting the extened trickplay features to work is a crap shoot at best. No repeatability here at all.

I am sending this thing back and I think I will try a 676. Hopefully it will be better.

If you head over to remotecentral.com you'll find a lot of information about the charging issue. As far as the database, there are several different entries for the HR20. My guess is, someone over at Logitech needs to do some maintenance. For the moment you can try one of the other choices (I've read that "HR20-700" is the best of them, and I don't remember which one I used).

As far as extended trickplay, I'm guessing you mean skip to tick and slow, yeah I wish that were better. You can always learn them raw. The issue isn't helped by the fact that the emitter isn't as strong as the one for the HR20 and therefore if you're not pointed straight at the HR20 it might not receive all the commands.

I've had the 880 for 18 months and I've had two issues - touchy charging and, after 18 months the LiIon battery is getting old. They are sending me a new one no charge (no pun intended).
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

with the 880 (or any Harmony remotes for that matter) use the database for you initial setup and then spend some time fine tuning the remote. add features you need delete those you do not need.

Once set up properly you will wonder how you ever lived without it.

As for the charging cradle the remote must be placed precisely into the cradle in order to charge the unit.

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,937 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

It takes a light touch on the buttons. The contact to the charging base is a continual problem, but keeping the contacts very clean helps. There is definitely room for improvement.

I've done a bit of customizing with mine, adding the colored keys, making gude a double-press, etc.

#5 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

-Snip-

I have the 676, $99 from Sam's Club. Works great. Took a little while to get used to the smallish directional ring but I have that mastered now. Programmed it for one touch to bring up the guide, workss 99% of the time.

#6 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

I'm glad my 880 hasn't had such problems, other than the obvious charging cradle problem.

#7 OFFLINE   Brantel

Brantel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:40 PM

If you head over to remotecentral.com you'll find a lot of information about the charging issue. As far as the database, there are several different entries for the HR20. My guess is, someone over at Logitech needs to do some maintenance. For the moment you can try one of the other choices (I've read that "HR20-700" is the best of them, and I don't remember which one I used).

As far as extended trickplay, I'm guessing you mean skip to tick and slow, yeah I wish that were better. You can always learn them raw. The issue isn't helped by the fact that the emitter isn't as strong as the one for the HR20 and therefore if you're not pointed straight at the HR20 it might not receive all the commands.

I've had the 880 for 18 months and I've had two issues - touchy charging and, after 18 months the LiIon battery is getting old. They are sending me a new one no charge (no pun intended).

Been to remote central about 50 times. No help there for these issues with the buttons.

There is no way to select different entries in the newer web versions or the install version of the software. You enter the model number and it decides what device database it is going to send you. There is no way now to pick it from a list that I have been able to find.

I have tried to learn the extended trickplay stuff in raw mode and it does not work. The new software will not properly learn the commands. It just errors and tells you to try again.
Brantel
(1) HR20-700
(1) HR24-500
SL dish with SWM
37" 1080P VIZIO LCD HDTV

#8 OFFLINE   Brantel

Brantel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

with the 880 (or any Harmony remotes for that matter) use the database for you initial setup and then spend some time fine tuning the remote. add features you need delete those you do not need.

Once set up properly you will wonder how you ever lived without it.

As for the charging cradle the remote must be placed precisely into the cradle in order to charge the unit.

I have spent almost two weeks fine tuning and working with both the online web version and the download and install version.

My problem is not related to setup because I have tried every setting and combo possible, it is related to the way this remote functions or I have a bad one.

If it worked properly, I would love it other than the wierd buttons and layout but I can get used to that, I just cannot stand having to deal with all the repeats I get all the time.
Brantel
(1) HR20-700
(1) HR24-500
SL dish with SWM
37" 1080P VIZIO LCD HDTV

#9 OFFLINE   Brantel

Brantel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

It takes a light touch on the buttons. The contact to the charging base is a continual problem, but keeping the contacts very clean helps. There is definitely room for improvement.

I've done a bit of customizing with mine, adding the colored keys, making gude a double-press, etc.

For what I paid for this remote, you should not have to touch the buttons with perfect touch. This is beyond annoying.
Brantel
(1) HR20-700
(1) HR24-500
SL dish with SWM
37" 1080P VIZIO LCD HDTV

#10 OFFLINE   Brantel

Brantel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

I have the 676, $99 from Sam's Club. Works great. Took a little while to get used to the smallish directional ring but I have that mastered now. Programmed it for one touch to bring up the guide, workss 99% of the time.

On the 676, can you add more than 6 custom buttons to the screen? If so how do you change pages like you can on the 880?
Brantel
(1) HR20-700
(1) HR24-500
SL dish with SWM
37" 1080P VIZIO LCD HDTV

#11 OFFLINE   Brantel

Brantel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

I'm glad my 880 hasn't had such problems, other than the obvious charging cradle problem.

This is what make me think I have a bad unit.

Can you do the extended trick play functions? (skip to tick, back to tick, skip to end, skip to begining etc)

Do you get multiple numbers or others per press of the buttons?

What is your interkey delay timing set on and what is your number of repeats set on?
Brantel
(1) HR20-700
(1) HR24-500
SL dish with SWM
37" 1080P VIZIO LCD HDTV

#12 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

I have spent almost two weeks fine tuning and working with both the online web version and the download and install version.

My problem is not related to setup because I have tried every setting and combo possible, it is related to the way this remote functions or I have a bad one.

If it worked properly, I would love it other than the wierd buttons and layout but I can get used to that, I just cannot stand having to deal with all the repeats I get all the time.

Maybe you do have a bad one then. The button presses were not an issue except for favorite channels. In that case I had to set the delays to 0.

Other than that, I was able to program it properly. However the 30sec slip had to be "learned".

Yes the charging cradle is not good. They redesigned it and will send out a new one if you call and go through their tech support.

#13 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

On the 676, can you add more than 6 custom buttons to the screen? If so how do you change pages like you can on the 880?

Only Six and it's not a color screen. To change pages there is a 'next' button below the screen. Another note, for skip to tick and skip to end/beg you have to hold the button down-release-then hit again. I think someone has found a work around to this but can't remember what it is. I don't do skip to tick/end very often so I just got used to hitting the button twice.

#14 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

Maybe you do have a bad one then.

I would have to agree with gcisko. Been using my 880 with my HR20 since early September. Been working flawlessly the entire time.

#15 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:41 PM

I would have to agree with gcisko. Been using my 880 with my HR20 since early September. Been working flawlessly the entire time.

ditto, PoitNARF...

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#16 OFFLINE   Rugged

Rugged

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:44 PM

I have a question regarding the charging.

I only put my 880 back into the cradle when the battery is dead. Is this a bad idea, am I helping the battery life or hurting it?

The reason, I don't store the remote in the cradle is because I don't have an outlet conveniently located near my optimal seating location so I just leave the remote on the coffee table until it needs to be recharged.

thanks all.

#17 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:01 PM

Direct from harmony...

There is a battery power level indicator located at the top of the Remote's screen (LCD). When the indicator is reduced to only a single red cell, your remote will need to be charged. Also, when the battery is about to lose power you will get a message displayed on the remote.

Note: You can charge the remote whenever it is not in use. This will not decrease the life of the battery and will ensure your remote is always fully powered.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#18 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

For the charger issue this is very common. I called logitech support and they are sending me out a new one. If the same problem happens with the new one I will call again. If they are willing to replace it until i get a good one i am willing to hang in there. I love this remote that much. If they are unable to resolve it then i will have to see aht my alternate options are.

#19 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

I only put my 880 back into the cradle when the battery is dead. Is this a bad idea, am I helping the battery life or hurting it?

Unlike other battery technologies Li-Ion doesn't require full cycles to prevent the "memory effect." The Wiki article says they should be charged early and often.

#20 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

This is what make me think I have a bad unit.

Can you do the extended trick play functions? (skip to tick, back to tick, skip to end, skip to begining etc)

Yes, with the press+hold, re-press method.

Do you get multiple numbers or others per press of the buttons?

No

What is your interkey delay timing set on and what is your number of repeats set on?

I haven't changed the default values which are:
Power-on delay = 1500ms
interkey delay = 100ms
inter-device delay = 2000ms

For some reason I can't find a "number of repeats" setting.

spam firewall