Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Harmony 880 on HR-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   DishDog

DishDog

ke6cdn

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Area

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:41 AM

bump
Pete
[FONT=;Comic Sans MS"]
DirecTV-8/96,HR34-700s(0x57d),HR24-200(0x5d3),SL5S Dish,D-Link DIR 655-Hardwired with Cat6e,Gigabit LAN,MRV-DECA,DirecTV2PC(XP Pro/Boot Camp 3.1),HRV-RS15-2187 HD-OTA Antenna,Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1,LG 20LS7D Bedroom TV,Sony RDR-GX330 DVD,Bose Cinemate,Harmony A1 & 880,Belkin UPS 550 VA,Targus Chill Matt
[/FONT]

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:03 AM

Just got my 880 today. Any recommendations on how to start setting it up?

Suggestions on what NOT to do as well as what to do first MUCH appreciated!

(Wife thinks I'm nuts to spend the $ so trying hard to look good.)

Make sure when you select the type of device, that it is a PVR from Directv and use model number HR20-700.

After that it is a matter of tweaking on the type of activities that you want. One trick is to re-learn you guide button. Name it guide2 in learn RAW mode, use your D* remote and press the guide button twice. This will work for getting you to the guide instantly. Most other trick plays are already in the database that you will be getting by using the HR20-700 library entry. After power up onto Sat mode and the remote is idle, my display has the list, yellow, green, red, blue, and active on the screen since I added those in at the bottom of the button programing screen.

There are a lot of things you can do, so play with it and learn the programing pages.

I also use the WEB interface versus the software loaded on the PC. You will need to use the PC software the first time to get an account setup and working. After that you can go directly to the harmony website and login. It seems to be a little quicker and easier for me since I have been using the harmony for about 6 years and I like the web interface.

http://members.harmo...GetUserInfo.asp

PSb
If you have grand kids, put a picture of them in the background, if not put a picture of her in the background. This will get you extra points...:lol:

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#63 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:04 AM

Just got my 880 today. Any recommendations on how to start setting it up?

Suggestions on what NOT to do as well as what to do first MUCH appreciated!

(Wife thinks I'm nuts to spend the $ so trying hard to look good.)

As you have probably read, you probably would like to customize the LCD buttons buy putting in at minimum, 'BLUE', 'YELLOW', 'GREEN', 'BACK', AND 'ACTIVE'. You will need to type in those commands. "List' is going to be there by default.

There's an area of the GUI to "Customize Buttons for this Activity". You scroll down to the LCD area and pick the Yellow, Blue Commands from the drop down menus on the right and then type it on the left. Don't forget to type it in.

If you feel like it, you could also teach the 'guide' command by clicking it twice. Rename it 'guide2' or something different than 'guide'. Then reassign it to the 'guide' button. You'll see. There's an area to teach commands with the learning function.

Other than that, I wouldn't change anything. Enjoy.

edit: I though I heard Spanky typing.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#64 OFFLINE   DishDog

DishDog

ke6cdn

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Area

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Mike.
The very first step is to run the DVD or do I go to the website?
Pete
[FONT=;Comic Sans MS"]
DirecTV-8/96,HR34-700s(0x57d),HR24-200(0x5d3),SL5S Dish,D-Link DIR 655-Hardwired with Cat6e,Gigabit LAN,MRV-DECA,DirecTV2PC(XP Pro/Boot Camp 3.1),HRV-RS15-2187 HD-OTA Antenna,Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1,LG 20LS7D Bedroom TV,Sony RDR-GX330 DVD,Bose Cinemate,Harmony A1 & 880,Belkin UPS 550 VA,Targus Chill Matt
[/FONT]

#65 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

Run the install program first, then after you get the first load onto the remote, then go to website and see if you like doing it that way. Give you back buttons...

-Mark-
3/98

#66 OFFLINE   DishDog

DishDog

ke6cdn

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Area

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Spanky. Will do.
Pete
[FONT=;Comic Sans MS"]
[/FONT]

#67 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

Just ordered my Harmony 880 from Amazon yesterday -- $155.49 with free shipping and $30 rebate on top of that brings it to $125.49. Looking forward to getting it later this week and getting it set up.:D
<p>HR44-700 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | DECA | SWiM | Harmony One | HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880 | HR24-100 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880

#68 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

If you head over to remotecentral.com you'll find a lot of information about the charging issue. As far as the database, there are several different entries for the HR20. My guess is, someone over at Logitech needs to do some maintenance. For the moment you can try one of the other choices (I've read that "HR20-700" is the best of them, and I don't remember which one I used).

As far as extended trickplay, I'm guessing you mean skip to tick and slow, yeah I wish that were better. You can always learn them raw. The issue isn't helped by the fact that the emitter isn't as strong as the one for the HR20 and therefore if you're not pointed straight at the HR20 it might not receive all the commands.

I've had the 880 for 18 months and I've had two issues - touchy charging and, after 18 months the LiIon battery is getting old. They are sending me a new one no charge (no pun intended).

I used some electrical contact spray last week on the contacts and that has helped - I think people get oil on the contacts from their skin.

#69 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

As you have probably read, you probably would like to customize the LCD buttons buy putting in at minimum, 'BLUE', 'YELLOW', 'GREEN', 'BACK', AND 'ACTIVE'. You will need to type in those commands. "List' is going to be there by default.

There's an area of the GUI to "Customize Buttons for this Activity". You scroll down to the LCD area and pick the Yellow, Blue Commands from the drop down menus on the right and then type it on the left. Don't forget to type it in.

If you feel like it, you could also teach the 'guide' command by clicking it twice. Rename it 'guide2' or something different than 'guide'. Then reassign it to the 'guide' button. You'll see. There's an area to teach commands with the learning function.

Excellent advice -I added those buttons to my LCD screen and made all the difference in the world. I also added the dash button to the lowest left button on the 880.

#70 OFFLINE   ktabel01

ktabel01

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:15 PM

After some initial headaches, it was my first universal remote. I am loving the 880. Especially with the HR20s painful OTA tuners, I often have to go back and forth b/w my TV and the HR20 for OTA, and with the 880, just one push of a button instead of 3 or 4.

#71 OFFLINE   RayinMaui

RayinMaui

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

I've read thru a lot of threads but I can't figure out how to get the 30 sec skip on my 880.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ray

#72 OFFLINE   rbrome

rbrome

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

I've read thru a lot of threads but I can't figure out how to get the 30 sec skip on my 880.

If you selected the "good" HR20-700 profile during initial setup, 30-second slip should be mapped to the skip-forward key. In the database of HR20-700 commands, it's even called "SkipForward", so the "Skip Forward" key on the Harmony should map perfectly to the "SkipForward" command under the "Channel Tuner" column when you go to "Change the behavior of buttons" for a given activity involving the HR20.

#73 OFFLINE   TheMoose

TheMoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 763 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

Recap, the features below I have in a single button press:

Skip to Next Tick (bookmark on D* DVRs)
Skip to Previous Tick
Program Beginning
Program End
Save Tick

THIS IS A GREAT REMOTE!!! I already have my Harmony 1000 on order:p

What are the commands listed in the button set up for those commands?
I'd like to set those up also.

I'm really liking the 880, I got the Amazon deal too & it's working great but like everything I have I like to tweak it!

"Racing is . . . . . . . . Life . . . . . . . Everything before & after is just waiting"

#74 OFFLINE   Webini

Webini

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

I've searched and can't find an answer to this question.

If I'm using an 880 to control the HR20, a Denon receiver, a Panasonic plasma, and a JVC DVD player can I have the Denon volume available at all times? Put another way, if I am using the 880 to control the HR20 will vol up/down control the Denon volume without having to press another button?

#75 OFFLINE   wtrax

wtrax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

I've searched and can't find an answer to this question.

If I'm using an 880 to control the HR20, a Denon receiver, a Panasonic plasma, and a JVC DVD player can I have the Denon volume available at all times? Put another way, if I am using the 880 to control the HR20 will vol up/down control the Denon volume without having to press another button?

Yes, when setting up your activities, it will ask you what component in your system do you want to control the volume with. Also you can add additional volume controls for what ever component on the custom buttons. So for example, you could use the volume buttons on the remote for your Denon and the up down below the directional buttons for your Panasonic.

#76 OFFLINE   Webini

Webini

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

Yes, when setting up your activities, it will ask you what component in your system do you want to control the volume with. Also you can add additional volume controls for what ever component on the custom buttons. So for example, you could use the volume buttons on the remote for your Denon and the up down below the directional buttons for your Panasonic.

Thanks. I've no need for the speakers on the Panasonic so this will work perfectly.

Off to Amazon to order an 880.

#77 OFFLINE   jmschnur

jmschnur

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

So what is the trick to send tw command at once?

I want to use one button command to go fro HDMI 1 or to HDMI 2.

This is TV input then 4 and TV input then 5.

Thanks!
Joel
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"][B]
ce 0x0431 HDMI 1080P Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma 151
{CE 0x0481 - HDMI 1080p - Sharp 32" 1080P LCD
2 HR20-100 DVRs
Integra DHC 80.2, HDMI throughout.
Home network mixed vista, windows 7
Slimeline 5; Vista,,7 ; wired and wireless; Verizon Fios internet, Netgear 3700 router, infinity/buffalo n ethernet converters
Integra DHC 80.2

#78 OFFLINE   Zaney

Zaney

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

I created an item called Guide2, taught the Harmony the command by pressing "Guide" on the D*TV remote, but it still only brings up the Favorties menu as it's only pushing Guide once, any ideas?

#79 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

I created an item called Guide2, taught the Harmony the command by pressing "Guide" on the D*TV remote, but it still only brings up the Favorties menu as it's only pushing Guide once, any ideas?

yes, do a learn command and do it in raw mode. you can then push the guide button twice on the hr20 remote and it will learn a double button push, then guide 2 will go directly to the guide

-Mark-
3/98

#80 OFFLINE   jmschnur

jmschnur

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

Will this work for two separate commands?

Joel
Joel
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"][B]
ce 0x0431 HDMI 1080P Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma 151
{CE 0x0481 - HDMI 1080p - Sharp 32" 1080P LCD
2 HR20-100 DVRs
Integra DHC 80.2, HDMI throughout.
Home network mixed vista, windows 7
Slimeline 5; Vista,,7 ; wired and wireless; Verizon Fios internet, Netgear 3700 router, infinity/buffalo n ethernet converters
Integra DHC 80.2

Protected By... spam firewall...And...