Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Still No OTA Guide Data 10 Months Later

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

About 10 months ago, I posted that I was not getting OTA guide data on
my 622 even though I subscribe to locals. Dish technical finally got back to
me and said that since my zip code was covered both the Philadelphia DMA
and the New York DMA, the 622 software only allows for my zip code the New York
locals to map down and provide OTA guide data.

According to Dish my zip code is 39% New York DMA and 61% Philadelphia DMA.
I live in the Philadelphia DMA and get Philadelphia locals. But my locals do not
map down and I get no OTA guide data. With my old 921, I did get OTA guide data
but no map down of Philadelphia locals. I called Dish technical support over the
weekend about the problem to follow up and their response is that I have not
called about this problem since March 2006 and they would pass it along. Also technical support the other day denied that my zip code was in two DMAs telling me that it was impossible.

I am still waiting for OTA guide data.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Gilly

Gilly

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

Don't know if this would work, but have you tried putting a different zip code in that screen that has your zip? Try a zip code from another part of Philly. Just a thought.

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

I am pretty sure the ZIP code field is not used for mapping of the OTA EPG info, but it is worth a shot.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

I am pretty sure the ZIP code field is not used for mapping of the OTA EPG info

I am positive that zip code isn't used for anything except dish aiming information (I don't have one set up and I get most listings). The ACCOUNT (location) zip code determines what guide information you SHOULD get. The problem is that DISH still isn't supplying the guide information for some stations in a lot of areas. I been after them since last February and they are getting better in my market (Cincinnati). They even have listings for some of the subchannels now. My biggest complaint is that they still don't have ANY listings for the three PBS stations HD's feeds. They have them for the SD feeds but I never watch them and the schedule is different for the HD feeds.
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

Yeah that is how i understood it, but always leave that door open. ;) If I recall from Hound.... His situation was one that was more along the lines of a edge condition vs. just not having the info. Others had reported getting guide info for philly and it seems that due to his location something was not working right.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

... the 622 software only allows for my zip code the New York locals to map down and provide OTA guide data.

Tell that to 622 customers who live close enough to multiple markets that it only supports your local zip code. There are people who get guide data from (2) cities, the one they live in and a nearby one (with a capable antenna).

#7 OFFLINE   JSIsabella

JSIsabella

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:06 AM

Tell that to 622 customers who live close enough to multiple markets that it only supports your local zip code. There are people who get guide data from (2) cities, the one they live in and a nearby one (with a capable antenna).

Now I am really confused...........

Here is how I understand the local EPG to work:

You have to purchase the locals from Dish for your local area. The locals you can purchase are based upon your address.
Dish purchases the EPG from a third party company and sends that data to the 622.
Software inside the 622 maps that local EPG data to the OTA channels.

Now it is obvious that the 622 has mapping problems, as there are many reports about some or all of the purchased locals EPG data not being linked to the OTA channels. That is the problem I have, and have had no response from Dish about a fix. I have asked about adding a manual method of linking the EPG data to the OTA channels, but that also went nowhere.

But your quote says that there are people getting guide data from multiple cities. So how is that possible? The PSIP data is not supposed to be interpreted by the 622.

Or is my understanding about how this is all supposed to work incorrect?

#8 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

I do not think the dish pointing zip code has anything do do with OtA EPG
I have EPG for any station that is picked up buy the tuner that is carried by dish.
As long is it is stored, at this time I have listings for 4 DMAs in my 622 and 921, 2 of the stations are are over 200 miles away.

#9 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

OlJim brings up another gripe that I have. In my market (Cincinnati) I can pick up Cincinnati and Dayton digital channels via an antenna and the 622 ATSC tuner. I subscribe to the Cincinnati locals (the only ones I am eligible for) and I DID get both Cincinnati and Dayton EPG listings until just a few months ago. Now, ALL the Dayton stations say "digital service". Out of market listings is something that DISH must do market by market since some poeple get them and others don't. I think that if we subscribe to a locals package we ought to get listing for ANY station that we can pick up.
Bill R

#10 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:53 AM

Software inside the 622 maps that local EPG data to the OTA channels.

But your quote says that there are people getting guide data from multiple cities. So how is that possible? The PSIP data is not supposed to be interpreted by the 622.

I get OTA guide data for my Sacramento OTA channels as well as the San Francisco (about 100 miles) channels. I usually can't actually get the SF OTA digitals, but as long as you can get a channel lock on the station, it gets the PSIP data to get the "display channel number" and Call Sign. It doesn't use PSIP data for EPG info, but it does use it to map say UHF channel 51 is to be 6.1 and 6.2 and be KVIE. The receiver does continue to look at PSIP data since when a station screws it up, you may not be able to select 6.1 any longer and get anything (but the ATSC tuner in the TV might).

What I get for EPG info includes the subchannels for Sacto and SF PBS stations which are different content than the sat provided locals (SD), so it isn't restricted to sat locals. That certainly isn't the case in lots of DMAs, but it is for these two. KQED in SF actually has 5 subchannels 9.1-9.5. 9.1 is the HD channel and off air right now, but 9.2-9.5 all have correct EPG info for the shows right now. None of those 4 subchannels match the analog 9.0 (I have a 942, not a 622) which is what I assume DISH carries for a SD local (it isn't my DMA).

There was a post in the last couple weeks of someone being able to change "Digital Service" to correct Guide info by changing the Call Sign in the menu where you add OTA channels. There have been similar posts in the past, but also lots of people that haven't been able to get that trick to work. Other people have Gained or Lost EPG for an OTA by doing a channel scan or manually entering a "transmit channel number". It does really SEEM like the receiver uses it to find the matching info in the EEPG for each channel (or subchannel where more than one is available in the EEPG).

I had to wait about 9 months for the Sacto OTA channels to be correct in the Guide (and people had been waiting before I got my receiver). They got it right last April/May.

#11 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

OlJim brings up another gripe that I have. In my market (Cincinnati) I can pick up Cincinnati and Dayton digital channels via an antenna and the 622 ATSC tuner.

Have you come across someone that subs to the Dayton DMA to know if they were getting Cincinnati and lost them too? Didn't you losing Dayton coincide with a 622 firmware update? Have you come across an 811 user in Cincinnati that also lost Dayton?

#12 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

My question is who in the world do you contact to try to get the problem corrected? CSRs and Tech support sure don't help. I've written to the Dish Quality address, DishQuality@Echostar.com, and they said they don't have anything to do with it (and no email address on WHO to write to). Next month I will have had my 622 one year and I STILL don't have any listing for ANY PBS HD stations.

Just who did you guys that got yours fixed talk or write to?
Bill R

#13 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:17 AM

Don't know if this would work, but have you tried putting a different zip code in that screen that has your zip? Try a zip code from another part of Philly. Just a thought.

I tried it and nothing mapped down and I did not get any guide information. I believe that zip code is only used for pointing the dish. The zip code would have to be changed by Dish for the channels to map down.

#14 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

Have you come across someone that subs to the Dayton DMA to know if they were getting Cincinnati and lost them too?

I haven't seen anyone mention that on any of the forums but I don't always get to read all the posts.

Didn't you losing Dayton coincide with a 622 firmware update?

I can't really say for sure since I wasn't watching the EPG listings that close but I do think so.

Have you come across an 811 user in Cincinnati that also lost Dayton?

I don't know anyone that has an 811. Everone that I know that has DISH HD has a 622 and everyone reports the same problem.
Bill R

#15 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

Bill R
I got my 622 last Feb. I have always had OTA EPG for any stations that are carried by dish on both my 622 and 921.
If the station is stored in I get the epg, several stations I never rec. anymore but still get the EPG
I get EPG for 2 stations in Orlando FL that I was able to pick up last summer they are 250 miles from here.
I know the zip code has nothing to do with it, my zip is 00000 in the 622, I never put in the zip for my address.

#16 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

There should be a LOT of people that may have EPG info now where it only had Digital Service previously. I just read http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=76742 and there are a TON of 14,000 range channel numbers added. Those are the "pretend" channel numbers DISH uses for EPG info w/o any matching sat channel. Lots of Call Signs listed there - might be worth searching the list for "your" stations. No guarantee, but some people's wait should be over.

#17 OFFLINE   larrysano

larrysano

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

Have you come across someone that subs to the Dayton DMA to know if they were getting Cincinnati and lost them too?

I live in Dayton, and I still get guide data for NBC-5 and CBS-12 out of Cincinnati.

Not to change the subject or hijack the thread or anything, but I really wish I didn't have to subscribe to dish locals just to get the EPG info. I have no other use for locals from dish. Why can't the 622 just interpret PSIP?

#18 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

Larrysano:

Do a search on PSIP and you should find some threads. Here is one from the useful tips and threads sticky.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=62939

Short answer.. Not enough data and not reliable enough nationwide to be used a a general solution for DVR use. -> That is my feeling based on info I have read.

#19 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

I live in Dayton, and I still get guide data for NBC-5 and CBS-12 out of Cincinnati.

You get guide data for the "main" digital channels only, correct ?? Not for WLWT and WKRC sub-channels ??

There are a variety of circumstances involved in all of this. Since this is the 622 forum, I'm not going to go into the other receivers.

Dish has made a decision to block the guide data for all sub-channels. By sub-channel, I'm referring to what's typically not simulcast on the analog channel. For example, my local CBS station, WHIO, has (3) broadcast channels: analog 7, digital 41-1 and digital 41-2. 7 and 41-1 simulcast the same programming; 41-2 is a weather channel. I get guide data for 7 and 41-1 (or 7-1 on my Dish receiver).
If you subscribe to your locals and you're able to receive locals via OTA from another city, you should get the guide data for the non-sub-channels as long as Dish also carries those locals in the other city.
In select cities, Dish is adding guide data for sub-channels via "virtual channels", i.e. those in the 14000 and up range. Until your city is added to these channels, the first bullet still applies.

#20 OFFLINE   JSIsabella

JSIsabella

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:47 PM

Dish has made a decision to block the guide data for all sub-channels. By sub-channel, I'm referring to what's typically not simulcast on the analog channel. For example, my local CBS station, WHIO, has (3) broadcast channels: analog 7, digital 41-1 and digital 41-2. 7 and 41-1 simulcast the same programming; 41-2 is a weather channel. I get guide data for 7 and 41-1 (or 7-1 on my Dish receiver).

One of the problems with blocking the sub-channels is that sometimes the sub-channel is another main station. In Youngstown, Ohio, the CBS station (WKBN) is 027-1 and the Fox station (WYFX) is 027-2, since they are owned by the same company. I get the EPG for CBS, but not for FOX. But the guide data is there for channel 62, which is the FOX channel number in the locals pack I purchase.

Man, this is so confusing...................

Protected By... spam firewall...And...