Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Windows Mediaconnect from Windows Server 2003

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PBGixxer

PBGixxer

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:41 PM

I am able to share files to the DirecTV H20 DVR with the new beta program directly from my Windows XP computer with MediaPlayer 11.

This is more of a Windows tech question, but I'm going to ask it here anyway.

Does anyone know how to successfully share media stored on a Windows 2003 server via mediaconnect (Windows Mediaplayer 11) running thru a Windows XP PC to the DirecTV receiver or other mediaconnect devices?

At this point I can find no process to share media from my file server where it is normally stored, and Windows Mediaplayer 11 isn't compatible to install on Server 2003. It does show up as shared on the XP computer in Media Player 11, but because of security or some other break in the chain the HR20 can only see the files that are shared in the library but actually stored locally where MediaPlayer 11 is installed.

I have resorted to making duplicate copies of MP3's from the server and putting them on a local hard drive of my Windows XP computer...but if I could get them to share successfully from my Network Drive mapping to the server that would be much better!

Has anyone else done this or something similar with success?

#2 OFFLINE   orum

orum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

There isn't a supported way to install the media UPnP service on Windows Server 2003.

You may be able to get this working by setting up the server's music share on a Windows XP/Vista computer as a "Watched Folder" in Windows Media player.

Dan

#3 OFFLINE   PBGixxer

PBGixxer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

That was actually one of the first things I tried. I can add the music to my MediaPlayer 11 library on my Windows XP machine from the server, but only the music that is stored locally will show up on my Media receivers (H20 and my yamaha stereo).

So something is not allowing the media devices to access the files that are remote from the XP machine even though they are playable from the XP machine.

spam firewall