Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Twonky over network drives?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   acomire

acomire

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:10 PM

Hi -

I just got my HR20 up and running and am using my Linksys wireless game adapter for networking and it's up an running.

I had a Media Player issue so I installed Twonky on my XP PC. All my photos and MP3s are stored on another 2003 server which there is a drive mapping on the PC. Twonky does not want to see anything unless it's on a drive local to where the service is running. Is this normal?

Thanks!

AJC

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   acomire

acomire

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:19 PM

I Guess it's true. I just installed it on the 2003 server where the media resides and it works great. I would have done that in the 1st place but the docs said only XP & 2000 were supported....

AJC

#3 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:19 AM

Twonky will see network drives only if you don't run it as a service. The service is launched before the network connection is established. So, the trick is to start Twonky manually.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:41 AM

I'm running Twonky as a service and it's using my mapped drive which is a FreeBSD server.

You don't actually used the mapped drive letter you use //Server/share as the path in your settings. You also have to modify the service to login as you and not Administrator.

Search their forum and you'll find out to set it up to use a mapped drive.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

I'm also using Twonky, but opted to have it not install as a service. Now that it's installed, is there anyway I have it start as a service?

Initially I thought I'd want to start Twonky myself, but now would rather have it load when I startup my PC. Do I need to reinstall it, as I haven't seen any settings that allow it to startup as a service?

#6 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

I'm also using Twonky, but opted to have it not install as a service. Now that it's installed, is there anyway I have it start as a service?

Initially I thought I'd want to start Twonky myself, but now would rather have it load when I startup my PC. Do I need to reinstall it, as I haven't seen any settings that allow it to startup as a service?

I'm not sure but it is easy enough to install. If you uninstall it and then reinstall it, you'll definitely get the option again. It picks your content locations up already, (from the registry) and you'll should be all set up. You may or may not need to rescan content but that's pretty fast too.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

spam firewall