Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Dish HDTV users get screwed??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rang1995

Rang1995

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 11:42 AM

Does this translate to DISH willing to dump their 61.5 and 148 sats??if so lots of us with equipment pointed there or only able to get those signals will be left high and dry!!!!

NEW YORK — EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen will
make the sales pitch of his career Monday.

In a meeting with the Justice Department, he must
convince skeptical antitrust lawyers that a deal
he cut to boost Cablevision
Systems' satellite aspirations will give consumers
more competition, not less, if
the department approves his $21 billion merger
with DirecTV.

People familiar with the new plan say that it's designed to convince
regulators
that Cablevision, which has yet to launch its
first satellite, can become a
formidable competitor beginning in 2003.

Cablevision plans to use the latest available
technology to offer more than 320
standard definition channels in all 50 states, 40
high-definition channels, and local
stations in 143 markets. Consumers would use a
13-inch dish vs. today's
conventional 18-inch dishes.

http://www.usatoday....-echostar_x.htm

READ THE USA ARTICLE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,242 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 October 2002 - 11:56 AM

Rand, what is the basis for your grand 'leap in logic', implying that E* subs investment in HD is at risk? IMO, regardless of whether 61.5 or 148 are at risk, E* will continue to support HD and deliver more content. It's the upscale consumer trend of the future.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   Rang1995

Rang1995

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 12:05 PM

read the article in usa about selling two sats for total usa coverage(that must mean 148) i am in a position that i MUST get 61.5 or no HDTV..cant see others or D* HDTV from east coast due to LOW angles in sky

#4 OFFLINE   brentp

brentp

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 12:58 PM

Rang1995, . . . are you saying you can not receive signals from the 101/110/119 slots? It is likely that if Dish gives up 61.5, it will move HDTV broadcasts to the central core slots. If you can't get those signals, then you might lose your HD from Dish IF this proposal clears the hurdles for the merger.

For most of us, I think the merger will provide more HD content from the CONUS slots, . . . once the 2 companies combine equipment and don't have to duplicate the broadcast of all channels as they do now. More bandwidth should be available, hopefully some will be used for more HD content, which they will have to support if they wish to compete with Digital Cable.

#5 OFFLINE   Rang1995

Rang1995

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 01:10 PM

my location,bergen county NJ high trees. 61.5 has a 40 degree elevation the others HDTV's D* and DISH regular are at a 23-24 degree elevation..i get my other programing thru D* regular sats..35.0 elevation..a lot of people in the NYC surburbs have to do this i am told,who have my kind of landscape..1 acre tall trees etc etc

#6 OFFLINE   drjake

drjake

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 02:05 PM

Rang1995, you are missing the point here. First off, the proposal is not to get rid of all of the frequencies on the wing satellites, only some of them. That being said, you are the exception and not the rule. The main purpose of this merger is to provide the most programming to the most people. That means that 101, 110 and 119 will be the Satellites used, since they provide the best coverage over the U.S. for the most people. My guess is that HD will end up on either 101 or 119 if the merger happens. You need to pray that it ends up on 101 as that is the D* satellite with the higher elevation
Drjake

#7 OFFLINE   Rang1995

Rang1995

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 02:10 PM

i am the rule around here in the northeast US according to installers or i have to chop all trees down (mine and neighbors) look at elevations for the east cost..hey what can i say but i am concerned over ME not the rest of the US

#8 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 02:46 PM

All Echostar users will have to do is take the dish that was pointing at 61.5 or 148 and point it at 101 if the merger somehow manages to see the light of day.

I doubt many dish users point at 61.5/148 exclusively. If cablevision starts to use those frequencies then if they are the only ones you can see, then you get a choice to watch 61.5/148 and not look at ED*.

#9 OFFLINE   toddjb

toddjb

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 12:35 PM

...I just want SOMEONE to offer me an HDTV solution worth buying!!! The best video my 61" HD widescreen sees is from the DVD player. Sad.

(In DC I wouldn't get any locals with HD sat, not worth it for me to get HBO/SHO package)

Might have to invest in the antenna setup. Off topic a bit? Sure...but I felt like griping. :)
-todd :flag:

#10 OFFLINE   Martyva

Martyva

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 04:49 PM

There are over 20 HD movies available for DVHS-now.
Yes i'm deaf

#11 OFFLINE   Martyva

Martyva

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 04:50 PM

There are over air STBs for HDTV-now.
Yes i'm deaf

#12 Guest_Just sold my Mot + SA stocks_*

Guest_Just sold my Mot + SA stocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2002 - 09:12 AM

And cable will not need STB's for HD in the future.... if this comes to pass:

http://www.usatoday....08/4606561s.htm

#13 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:24 AM

So, if DISH quits using 61.5, then won't Sky Angel find themselves with 8 transponders? Four times what they have now... Sounds like an excellent ministry opportunity!

#14 OFFLINE   Rang1995

Rang1995

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 09:04 AM

and i don't get HDTV anymore..hell i'll go the FCC

spam firewall