Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Controlling 2 HR20's on the same TV with the same Harmony 880?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Has anyone been able to do this?

I'm assuming it would be as simple as setting HR20 #2 to use the secondary D* Remote codes [0002] for it and then use the remote to program the Harmony 1 key at a time.

Anyone figure out a shortcut to this instead of having to map 1 key at a time to the Harmony?

I'm thinking of replacing the HR10 in my living room with an HR20 and want to make sure they can co-exist before I do this.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:02 AM

wow no one? I'm shocked...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Brantel

Brantel

RBR Hitit tillit bricksit

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:14 AM

The only way to do this at this time I think is to learn each command from a remote set with a different remote code.

You can try calling Harmony support and ask to go to a level 2 tech but this is also hit and miss just like D*

If you are lucky, they will get you on the phone with one of their IR experts that knows how to analyze the IR streams.

They may be able to create a custom definition for you.
Brantel
One of the Original Edge Cutters
(1) HR20-700
(1) HR24-500
SL dish with SWM
DECA Cloud Network, WHDVR
DECA Cloud to Internet Bridge
37" 1080P VIZIO LCD HDTV
55" 1080P VIZIO LED-LCD HDTV

Harmony 676 :D Love this thing! :dance:

#4 OFFLINE   Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:30 AM

I used to have an H20 and HR20 in the same room and could not get them programmed separately. Adavanced tech support told me there's no work around for this. It doesn't matter what remote you're using. I am only using the D* remotes but was told the IR in the receivers cannot be reprogrammed.

This was few months ago so I dunno know if any software updates can or have changed this.

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:43 AM

I used to have an H20 and HR20 in the same room and could not get them programmed separately. Adavanced tech support told me there's no work around for this. It doesn't matter what remote you're using. I am only using the D* remotes but was told the IR in the receivers cannot be reprogrammed.

This was few months ago so I dunno know if any software updates can or have changed this.

There is an option in the HR20 to make it use the "secondary" IR codes. I don't recall their term or where that particular option is at the moment though.

I could have sworn someone on here said one time they had 2 HR20's in the same room. Might have even been Earl, I don't recall.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:05 AM

There is an option in the HR20 to make it use the "secondary" IR codes. I don't recall their term or where that particular option is at the moment though.

I could have sworn someone on here said one time they had 2 HR20's in the same room. Might have even been Earl, I don't recall.

I'll have to check again but if I remember correctly, I think I tried that while on the phone with tech support and it didn't work.

I'd be interested to know if this can be done and the tech rep just didn't know how to do this because I will eventually swap out my HR10-250 for another HR20 and will be in the same predicament as you-unless D* puts out anther HD DVR model.

#7 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:30 AM

Your stuggle with this will depend on if someone else has had Harmony go through the steps.

For example, with the R/HR10 series, when the program asks you for a couple of key presses, it understand which "code set" you are using. So for example, if I have an HR10 set to code 3, when I have the database learn those commands, it knows the rest of the set for Code 3.

Now if someone has gone through the trouble to set up Code 2 for the HR20, then all you should have to do is input a couple of presses and it should recognize the code set.

If you are the first, then all codes will have be learned. But for others benefit, call Tech Support and tell them what you are doing so the Code set will be in the database.

#8 OFFLINE   HockeyKat

HockeyKat

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

I don't know about making it work with a Harmony remote, but I do know that two DTV receivers or DVRs can use the same DTV remote. I did it with my R15 and H20, and now my R15 and HR20. In the menu, I think it's under the remote set up part, you have the option to set the receiver mode to either DTV or AV1/2. If you set it to AV1/2, you slide the switch to whichever one you want and program it as you would any other device using the DTV codes.

I have my HR20 using the DTV setting, and my R15 using the AV2 setting and everything gets along fine. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

The Tips & Tricks tells how to do this with the D* remotes. I think the same steps would work with you.

- Craig

#10 OFFLINE   Staszek

Staszek

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:52 AM

I don't know about making it work with a Harmony remote, but I do know that two DTV receivers or DVRs can use the same DTV remote. I did it with my R15 and H20, and now my R15 and HR20. In the menu, I think it's under the remote set up part, you have the option to set the receiver mode to either DTV or AV1/2. If you set it to AV1/2, you slide the switch to whichever one you want and program it as you would any other device using the DTV codes.

I have my HR20 using the DTV setting, and my R15 using the AV2 setting and everything gets along fine. :)

I think if you can do it that way with the HR20 remote all you would have to do is program the Harmony manually (custom) while the DTV remote was in AV2, the commands should come out differently.

#11 OFFLINE   HockeyKat

HockeyKat

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

I think if you can do it that way with the HR20 remote all you would have to do is program the Harmony manually (custom) while the DTV remote was in AV2, the commands should come out differently.

More than likely. My husband just ordered a Harmony, so we should find out in a few days or so. :)

#12 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:20 AM

There was a similar question about this in another thread with the same answers that are in this thread.

I recommended that he also contact Harmony, Logitech, and ask them to build another library entry for this scenario. He said he was going to do that and I have not heard anything back.

So I recommend you do the same since it is a lot easier/faster for them to use an editor to supply this than it is for you to learn all the commands. Let the supplier do the work. That's what we paid them to do!

EDIT: When they get the other library built, be sure and let us know what model number that use to get the 2nd library entry, ie HR20-700-2...

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

There was a similar question about this in another thread with the same answers that are in this thread.

I recommended that he also contact Harmony, Logitech, and ask them to build another library entry for this scenario. He said he was going to do that and I have not heard anything back.

So I recommend you do the same since it is a lot easier/faster for them to use an editor to supply this than it is for you to learn all the commands. Let the supplier do the work. That's what we paid them to do!

EDIT: When they get the other library built, be sure and let us know what model number that use to get the 2nd library entry, ie HR20-700-2...

Sounds like a plan to me! I'll keep you guys posted.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:06 PM

Well I finally heard back from Logitech/Harmony on this. In a nutshell they said they can't just setup a new library for a second set of codes for the HR20. They do not have the information to do so. According to them they would have to have a user submit that to them.

Looks like that user will be me once I sit down and enter each button individually. I'm picking up my second HR20 tonight at Best Buy so I'll keep you posted.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:47 PM

Ok, I got it working!

My 880 controls both HR20's independently with no problem!

The hardest part was trying to figure out how to get the 2nd HR20 to use a different IR code. :)

Now the big question, how do I submit the new device I setup to the Logitech/Harmony database?

I'll write up a document on how to set this up if anyone is interested.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Ok, I got it working!

My 880 controls both HR20's independently with no problem!

The hardest part was trying to figure out how to get the 2nd HR20 to use a different IR code. :)

Now the big question, how do I submit the new device I setup to the Logitech/Harmony database?

I'll write up a document on how to set this up if anyone is interested.

Im interested, I will be using the harmony 880 to control 2 hr20's in the same room. How did you make this work? Seems tedious is why I have held off replacing the tivo hr10-250 with another hr20.

How did you get it to work and does it still work with no problem???

spam firewall