Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bad lip syncing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Johnboat

Johnboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

Wow since the cutting edge update I am having bad lip syncing japaneses movie talk issues. Also the audio issue is better but not completely fixed. Is anyone else having the lip sync issue?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sbcale

sbcale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:57 AM

Wow since the cutting edge update I am having bad lip syncing japaneses movie talk issues. Also the audio issue is better but not completely fixed. Is anyone else having the lip sync issue?

Yes, I am having very bad lip syncing as well but it is pretty much all the local mpeg 4 CBS (KDKA) out of Pittsburgh that is the culprit and it has been happening for quite a while. I downloaded x120 the other night hoping that would help my problem but it persisted even after x120. When watching CSI and other shows it is unbearable. I have tried switching the channels, running the sound through my TV, through my amp, switching from PCM to DD, from surround to stereo, basically everything I could think of.

I thought maybe it was the local CBS but others I have talked to say their OTA CBS signal doesn't have the lip sync problems I am seeing. I am at a loss as to what it is.
JVC 70" HD-ILA HDTV (HD-70FN97)
HR20 (4), R10, R15, SAT-T60

My Basement Home Theater Video

AVSForum Home Theater Thread

#3 OFFLINE   jmschnur

jmschnur

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:57 AM

I reported this in the 120 isse thread. Mine occured when I went between a SD station and a House that was also being recorded.

I fiexed it by stopping the recording and then going to anotehr channel and back to the local Mpeg4 Fox station.

The audio was several! seconds out of synch.

Joel
Joel
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"][B]
ce 0x0431 HDMI 1080P Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma 151
{CE 0x0481 - HDMI 1080p - Sharp 32" 1080P LCD
2 HR20-100 DVRs
Integra DHC 80.2, HDMI throughout.
Home network mixed vista, windows 7
Slimeline 5; Vista,,7 ; wired and wireless; Verizon Fios internet, Netgear 3700 router, infinity/buffalo n ethernet converters
Integra DHC 80.2

#4 OFFLINE   sbcale

sbcale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:14 AM

I reported this in the 120 isse thread. Mine occured when I went between a SD station and a House that was also being recorded.

I fiexed it by stopping the recording and then going to anotehr channel and back to the local Mpeg4 Fox station.

The audio was several! seconds out of sync.

Joel

Mine is also serveral seconds out of sync, the video is several seconds ahead of the sound.

Very rarely I can fix it if I switch channels but most of the time it does nothing. Also if a show is recorded with lip sync problems nothing can fix it no matter how many times I pause it, start it again, or fast forward and rewind.

The funny this is though it is 90% of the time my mpeg 4 CBS station (KDKA).

#5 OFFLINE   jimmy boots

jimmy boots

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:14 AM

I noticed this also on 0x11f and 0x120.
On nationwide HD channels like ESPN and TNTHD.

The interesting thing is that while it was very, very noticable on the first day after download of 0x120, on the second day it was much better. Perhaps it is related to other processes running a lot in the background early after reboot.

#6 OFFLINE   sbcale

sbcale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

I noticed this also on 0x11f and 0x120.
On nationwide HD channels like ESPN and TNTHD.

The interesting thing is that while it was very, very noticable on the first day after download of 0x120, on the second day it was much better. Perhaps it is related to other processes running a lot in the background early after reboot.

Mine never got better with 0x11f and previous versions. Hopefully with 0x120 it might get better...

#7 OFFLINE   cokecan

cokecan

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:16 PM

I'm running 11F and had major sync issues with my local fox mpeg channel when watching Prison Break Monday night, but the local news seems fine now. Did the upgrade on Sunday evening.

How much housekeeping does the thing have to do after an upgrade?

-Brian

#8 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:43 AM

HAs anyone tried the analoug audio outputs from the HR20. I have both optical and analoug connected to my reciever and only the optical is out of sync. The stereo analoug works fine. Horay for Dolby Pro Logic:D

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#9 OFFLINE   sbcale

sbcale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

HAs anyone tried the analoug audio outputs from the HR20. I have both optical and analoug connected to my reciever and only the optical is out of sync. The stereo analoug works fine. Horay for Dolby Pro Logic:D

Out of everything I have done to fix the problem I have not tried that. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I have been using the HDMI and Optical out for testing.

When I get home today I will have to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

Wow.. when I saw the topic heading, I thought this was a Milli Vanilli thread..

#11 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:46 PM

Lip Sync Problem:

I have it. (Live and recorded)!

I hate it.

Please make it go away!

HR34-700(0x00805)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo TX-LR552 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#12 OFFLINE   chutta

chutta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

I am having the same problem. I have tv connected to hr20 with HDMI and am only listening to audio through the TV.

I don't believe it has anything to do with analog vs digital. It doesn't occur all the time, but rather is sporadic. While I do pick up the Pittsburgh feeds, I haven't noticed it being primarily on one channel before. I will take note of this from now on.

Right now I am experiencing very slight audio delays (not the full second variety) on CBS and ABC locals. NBC (which happens to be recording) has no delay. In the past though, I have experienced very significant delays which make the program almost unwatchable.

Unrelated info: I originally had a problem echo from my tv sound to stereo sound with HDMI from HR20 to TV and composite from HR20 to receiver. I corrected that problem by connecting audio from TV to receiver instead of from HR20.

#13 OFFLINE   Antix

Antix

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:15 AM

Smallville on CW has been doing it ever since I got this recorder. about .5 second off sync.

ABC HD recordings have been really bad, 5 to 7 seconds off sync, video ahead of audio...Interestingly, American Idol, House and other channels you guys report as out of sync are ok for me, so far.

Yes, I concur, please make it go away.

#14 OFFLINE   sbcale

sbcale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:21 AM

I hooked up my HR20 last night with a Red and White analog stereo connection instead of using the HDMI or Optical audio and it didn't change anything. I still had the lip syncing problem. :nono2:

I am glad someone else is seeing the Pittsburgh audio sync problems on ABC and CBS. NBC and FOX are perfect, we watched the O.C., American Idol, My Name is Earl, and the Office last night and recently and all were perfectly in sync. We then watched Grey's Anatomy which was slightly off, and slightly annoying, and then CSI which was way off and almost unwatchable. I also watched a little bit of Shark just to compare and it was way off as well!

So it seems as though the ABC (WTAE) Pittsburgh mpeg 4 feed is slightly off and the CBS (KDKA) Pittsburgh mpeg 4 feed is quite a bit off. Those are the ONLY channels SD or HD that show any lip syncing problems for me at all. Is this an HR20 problem, a station problem (I don't think it is because I have seen the OTA feed and have friends that have HD OTA and they report no problems), or a DirecTV mpeg 4 conversion problem? Any way it is very, very annoying and I hope it gets fixed soon.

#15 OFFLINE   tstarn

tstarn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:08 AM

Using HDMI too, and lip sync on ABC local is unreal. The voice says one thing, and the picture show another (it's off that much) when they cut to commercials or back again. Tried red and white analog plugs, no difference. Never had this problem before 120.
HDTV: Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma, Sony KE-32TS2 HD plasma
Directv Receivers: HR-20, R-10 (2), H-20
Hitachi and HR20 connected via HDMI (direct)
Sony and H20 connected via component

HT: Kenwood 8070 7.1 THX-certified receiver
Speakers:
PSB Image T55 (Main), PSB Image C40 (center), Image S50 (Surrounds).
DVD Players: Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-ES10B), Sony DVP-NS75H (upconverting).

#16 OFFLINE   DishDog

DishDog

ke6cdn

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Area

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

I always have lip sync issues watching recorded Letterman (local CBS HD on satellite). Had same problem with previous firmware releases as well.
Pete
[FONT=;Comic Sans MS"]
DirecTV-8/96,HR34-700s(0x57d),HR24-200(0x5d3),SL5S Dish,D-Link DIR 655-Hardwired with Cat6e,Gigabit LAN,MRV-DECA,DirecTV2PC(XP Pro/Boot Camp 3.1),HRV-RS15-2187 HD-OTA Antenna,Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1,LG 20LS7D Bedroom TV,Sony RDR-GX330 DVD,Bose Cinemate,Harmony A1 & 880,Belkin UPS 550 VA,Targus Chill Matt
[/FONT]

#17 OFFLINE   rrwantr

rrwantr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

I had it on the previous national version than 120 a couple times. I just powered off the unit and TV and then powered them back on. Cured it. Changing channels did nothing for me.

#18 OFFLINE   katesguy

katesguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:54 PM

When I get the audio from the HR20 I have sync problems. So I pick up the audio for my amplifier from the tv jacks and I am in sync most of the time. It is always out of sync from the HR20 I use HDMI cables and switching to composite and sep audio cables did not fix the problem.

#19 OFFLINE   lrb

lrb

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:38 PM

I noticed bad lip synch ons several of my recorded shows (mostly local mpeg 4's). I did a reset of the HR20 using the "reset" in the setup menu. That fixed the problem and the previously unwatchable recordings are now OK.

#20 OFFLINE   Johnboat

Johnboat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

Yeah I say mine is better since I reset my recorder also but my wife claims it's not. Shes nuts

Protected By... spam firewall...And...