Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-20 Hard Drive Noise

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CraigM

CraigM

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

Hi. Would DirecTV be able to make the hard drive noise go away? I think that is what it is that I am hearing sometimes the hard drive operation. Other than that the HR-20 seems fine. It recorded Heroes while I was watching 24 and I watched Heroes last night with no problem. Thanks for any info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

A normally operating HR20 should have minimal fan or hard drive noise. Unless you're in a very quiet room, or very close to the DVR, you should barely hear it. If it's really loud then you'll need to request a replacement from DirecTV.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   alv

alv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

It certainly is the loudest drive I have heard in a while. Not as loud as my original dishplayer from years ago. Barely tolerable in my opinion.

#4 OFFLINE   CraigM

CraigM

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

I don't here it that much when the TV is on. During scenes when the show is not loud I do here it. I do here it when nothing is on in the room.

#5 OFFLINE   Truffles100

Truffles100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

Hi. Would DirecTV be able to make the hard drive noise go away? I think that is what it is that I am hearing sometimes the hard drive operation. Other than that the HR-20 seems fine. It recorded Heroes while I was watching 24 and I watched Heroes last night with no problem. Thanks for any info.

I'm noticing that my hard drive is making more of a grinding noise as I use playback features.. like Repeat or Slip. It's a noise I'm familar with my desktop making but was wondering if other users hear the same thing on their HR20.
2 HR20-700s
U-Verse - Motorola
Mitsubishi WD-78833
Mitsubishi LT-46231
Denon 4308CI
Playstation 3
Panasonic Laserdisc
Sony S-VHS :)

#6 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

I'm noticing that my hard drive is making more of a grinding noise as I use playback features.. like Repeat or Slip. It's a noise I'm familar with my desktop making but was wondering if other users hear the same thing on their HR20.

Yep, it's unavoidable.

#7 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,883 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

I have found using the usb chill mat on top also muffles the fan/drive noise. Not all but some.

#8 OFFLINE   incandenza

incandenza

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

If you want to keep it quiet overnight, try tuning to one of the XM channels before you go to bed. Since they aren't buffered, the hard drive is silent. (Of course, this is assuming you don't have anything set to record in the middle of the night.)

I have the HR20 only a few feet away from me in a quiet room. If it's left buffering a channel (the way it is most of the time), I can hear the hard drive quietly click (seek) about once a second. It sounds like I have an analog clock ticking somewhere in the room.

spam firewall