Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20: 0x120 - Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

National Release: 02/01/2007
Manufacture 700 - 0x120

Release Notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=78410
Issue Thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=78412

CE - Discussion: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=78145
CE - Issues: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=78146

PLEASE DONT POST... DIDN'T GET IT, or GOT IT tracking posts in this thread, they will be deleted

National Release:
All HR20's should have 0x120 by 02/02/2007

The more detail the better Simply put... the more detail you can provide the better the feedback.

Revision History: (Note Builds that did not go national, are no longer listed)
Version 0x11b (01/23/2007): Discussion Thread
Version 0x10b (12/20/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xFA (11/22/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xEF (11/15/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xE3 (10/19/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xDC (10/11/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xD8 (10/04/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xD1 (09/26/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xCC (09/16/2006): Discussion Thread Issue Thread
Version 0xBE (09/01/2006): Discussion Thread Issue Thread

The Original HR20 Review Thread
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=61862

Tips and Tricks Threads
Official Tips and Tricks
Unoffical Tips and Tricks v2.9

Unoffical Feature Request Survey
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=68183

Unoffical eSATA Feature Discussion
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=66201

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JJaret

JJaret

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

A feature change that is not it the release notes is the History list no longer contains any future cancelled programs.

#3 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:58 PM

Not specifically 120 related, but after each of the last 2 updates, my receiver has spontaneously decided that it is no longer receiving either 110/119 or both.

The only way to fix this is to repeat guided setup twice, first setting it to a round dish, then back to 5lnb. This is exceptionally annoying and has caused me to miss 2 recordings thus far.

#4 OFFLINE   bnglbill

bnglbill

Icon

• Registered
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:43 PM

This is getting rediculos, I can't believe D** released this buggy A** software!! I have had very little issues other than the black screen, now, I have audio drop outs, Audio synch problems, black screen and all of that is just what I noticed after the first couple of hours of use. I have RBR and that didn't help with the audio. Also the mpeg 4 locals look like crap. THIS IS GETTING OLD!!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • Locationzanesville ohio

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:16 PM

yeah tell me about it i have reset my box so much, that the red button is flush , with the receiver now, have to use a pointed object to reset it now, when it locks up

#6 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:53 PM

The only issue I have had is taring in the guide, and menu system. The longer the HR20 is running the less I even see that bug.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#7 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

Issue:

a) Currently recording The Office D* NBC (MPEG4) and The War at Home D* FOX (MPEG4).
B) Went to playlist to watch The Office; but get gray screen.
c) Can't FF passed it; but remote is still working.
d) I tune to NBC 4 and The Office is playing and I am able to watch it; but no trick play functions. So I miss the first 5 minutes; but still can view the rest of the show.
e) While I'm watching The Office; I hit menu/playlist and select The War at Home. It plays fine; and all trick play functions work.
f) I retune to NBC to watch The Office and again, I can watch; but no trick play.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Update 1:

After The Office ended; Scrubs was having the same problem; but Greys Anatomy was recording and was playable.
I cancelled the Scrubs recording; cleared the buffer by changing channels; went back to NBC Scrubs; hit record and everything is fine. Both NBC and ABC are recording normally and trick plays are functioning on both stations.

Update 2:

All other recording on NBC and ABC are recording and watchable. So it seems after I cleared the NBC buffer; everything went back to normal.

This is also posted in the issues thread.

WEIRD!!!!!!!

HR34-700(0x00985)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo TX-LR552 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#8 OFFLINE   inzane

inzane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:31 PM

well I had my first major issue. was recording CSI and Grey's on the NYC mepg 4 channels, was watching greys 20 min after it started. all was fine, then went to watch CSI, no go, just the a black screen, can't even jump into it. Shark us currently recording and I can't do any trick plays to watch from the beging. I'm assuming that this recording will also be hosed. What really sucks that 9pm thursdays it the only time my wonderfully working tivo does not record the same exact shows, since I need to record 3 shows at 9pm thursdays, and I picked the wrong one to watch live, should of watched CSI. I just can't understand how they can have all these recording problems. It's just Bits from a stream, what comes to the tuner get saved to the drive. If I can see it on the screen then the bits are good. I can understand things like scheduling issues and such, but not saving bits. off to cbs.com to watch CSI

#9 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

well I had my first major issue. was recording CSI and Grey's on the NYC mepg 4 channels, was watching greys 20 min after it started. all was fine, then went to watch CSI, no go, just the a black screen, can't even jump into it. Shark us currently recording and I can't do any trick plays to watch from the beging. I'm assuming that this recording will also be hosed. What really sucks that 9pm thursdays it the only time my wonderfully working tivo does not record the same exact shows, since I need to record 3 shows at 9pm thursdays, and I picked the wrong one to watch live, should of watched CSI. I just can't understand how they can have all these recording problems. It's just Bits from a stream, what comes to the tuner get saved to the drive. If I can see it on the screen then the bits are good. I can understand things like scheduling issues and such, but not saving bits. off to cbs.com to watch CSI

This seems to be the same issue I and others have had tonight.

HR34-700(0x00985)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo TX-LR552 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#10 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

My 30 second slip forward seems to work fine....but hitting 30 second slip backward produces no effect. Has anyone seen this ?
Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

#11 OFFLINE   MDTerp

MDTerp

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:41 AM

Well I have been lurking around for a while getting a feel for what to look for and and now feel I should post as my frustration actually got in the way last night. I had my HR20 installed on 1/23 and have had little or no problems up until x120. Lets see, all of my issues below have become drastically noticeable with this latest release. First and probably most annoying; my local HD MPEG4 channels picture quality has gone from almost perfect to breaking up all the time along with audio drops. For example picture problems during GREY's last night, along with audio drops made the wife very angry. These two things didn't happen this problem last weeks program. Also before GREY's I tried watching a recording of Poker after Dark and audio was off by at least 6 secs right after pressing play, so I played around with FFW and the Pause buttons to sync up. But I didn't have to do this before with any recordings thus far. Also noticed the famous "Pinky" for the first time. It was in the right >> box at the bottom of the screen. Then to top it off my OTA connection most notable 5-1 FOX- WTTG DC takes almost 20-30 seconds to locate its signal. I get a searching for signal notice on the screen now before the current programming appears. Before this x120 update, all my OTA channels were trouble free. After spending some time reading everyones experiences, I don't think my issues or frustrations are in the minority. I already can't wait for the next release, maybe before Super Sunday! This release has made my HR20 worse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
HR20-700 release 0x120 (Automactic 2/2/07)
Slimline Dish No Multi Switch
Configured: Native OFF | 720p Stretch | DD ON | BBC's Connected | Network: NOT Connected | OTA | Power off when not in use.
HDTV: Sony KDFE55A20 connected via HDMI to HR20
Home Theater: Sony connected via optical cable to HR20
DirecTV Remote
DirecTV since 1999

#12 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:11 AM

My 30 second slip forward seems to work fine....but hitting 30 second slip backward produces no effect. Has anyone seen this ?

The slip back isn't 30 seconds. I think it's more like 6 seconds or maybe 10. Not sure. It's not 30, though.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#13 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

The slip back isn't 30 seconds. I think it's more like 6 seconds or maybe 10. Not sure. It's not 30, though.

It's about 6 seconds. I've tested it with HDNet's Test Patterns (it has a timer). But his bigger issue is that his isn't working.
- Matt

#14 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

Issue:

a) Currently recording The Office D* NBC (MPEG4) and The War at Home D* FOX (MPEG4).
B) Went to playlist to watch The Office; but get gray screen.
c) Can't FF passed it; but remote is still working.
d) I tune to NBC 4 and The Office is playing and I am able to watch it; but no trick play functions. So I miss the first 5 minutes; but still can view the rest of the show.
e) While I'm watching The Office; I hit menu/playlist and select The War at Home. It plays fine; and all trick play functions work.
f) I retune to NBC to watch The Office and again, I can watch; but no trick play.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Update 1:

After The Office ended; Scrubs was having the same problem; but Greys Anatomy was recording and was playable.

I cancelled the Scrubs recording; cleared the buffer by changing channels; went back to NBC Scrubs; hit record and everything is fine. Both NBC and ABC are recording normally and trick plays are functioning on both stations.

Update 2:

All other recording on NBC and ABC are recording and watchable. So it seems after I cleared the NBC buffer; everything went back to normal.

This is also posted in the issues thread.

WEIRD!!!!!!!

I have posted what I think is clearly the same issue in the issue thread as well:

(from 0x120 issues thread)
LIST>PLAY HD-program OTA, recording still in progress.
Black screen when attempt to play. Transport controls respond on screen, but continued black screen and ticker/time does not move.

Other tuner: buffering SD local over satellite for 90 minutes +

What may be new information:
Since this program was still in progress, I exited and changed the channel to the live feed of this program. Program appeared to be playing fine, but no response to any transport control (rew, ff, jumpback, pause). Multiple channel changes away from, and back to the "live" recording channel yeilded no change in behavior (I did this to cycle thru different format 480i, 720p, etc...). I let program complete recording, and attempted to play again from list, still black screen with "responsive" but non-functional transport controls. Trick play on "live" TV returned to normal once recording ended.

(end quote)

It is clear to me that this is somehow related to the state of the buffer. In my experience, a full 90 minutes in the buffer GREATLY increases the chance of this happening. I have not yet seen a well articulated documentation of the version of the BSB, if that is in fact what it is. I say version of the BSB, because it seems the "classic" BSB is more related to standby, and requires at least a menu reset. In this case, all that is required for return of functionality is the completion of the affected recording. Hence, many users are not noticing a problem until the attempt to playback the recording. To them, all is well except that they have a black screen on a particular recording. I hope we are closing in on this one. Before the Super Bowl starts on Sunday, I will most certainly make sure the buffer is clear.

#15 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

I have posted what I think is clearly the same issue in the issue thread as well:

(from 0x120 issues thread)
LIST>PLAY HD-program OTA, recording still in progress.
Black screen when attempt to play. Transport controls respond on screen, but continued black screen and ticker/time does not move.

Other tuner: buffering SD local over satellite for 90 minutes +

What may be new information:
Since this program was still in progress, I exited and changed the channel to the live feed of this program. Program appeared to be playing fine, but no response to any transport control (rew, ff, jumpback, pause). Multiple channel changes away from, and back to the "live" recording channel yeilded no change in behavior (I did this to cycle thru different format 480i, 720p, etc...). I let program complete recording, and attempted to play again from list, still black screen with "responsive" but non-functional transport controls. Trick play on "live" TV returned to normal once recording ended.

(end quote)

It is clear to me that this is somehow related to the state of the buffer. In my experience, a full 90 minutes in the buffer GREATLY increases the chance of this happening. I have not yet seen a well articulated documentation of the version of the BSB, if that is in fact what it is. I say version of the BSB, because it seems the "classic" BSB is more related to standby, and requires at least a menu reset. In this case, all that is required for return of functionality is the completion of the affected recording. Hence, many users are not noticing a problem until the attempt to playback the recording. To them, all is well except that they have a black screen on a particular recording. I hope we are closing in on this one. Before the Super Bowl starts on Sunday, I will most certainly make sure the buffer is clear.

It definitely looks like the same issue. I didn't wait for the recording to finish, though; I
a) ended the recording;
B) changed channels which cleared the buffer;
c) went back to the original channel and began a new recording of the same show; and everything worked.

So, I agree; it seems its something to do with the buffer.

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#16 OFFLINE   Justinto

Justinto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

I had the problem with the last two releases on Denver's 7 KMGH - macroblocking on HD constanly switching back and forth from HD to SD; plus last night's Ugy Betty, the audio sync was off 3 seconds on a recording and was unwatchable.

Justin

Panasonic 58-V10 Plasma; Panasonic 50" GT30 Plasma
HR44 and Mini
Aperion Verus Grand Speakers (2)
Marantz SR6006

#17 OFFLINE   PhilipDC

PhilipDC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFalls Church, VA (DC burbs)

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

Software loaded overnight Wed./Thur.--had a lot of short audio dropouts last night on my Mpeg 4 local NBC affiliate (WRC Washington, DC). Rewinded a few times and recovered the audio...

#18 OFFLINE   spolaski

spolaski

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

I haven't noticed any audio dropouts on mine. I have had them before but wasn't sure if it was the HR20 or the signal that was dropping out.

I like your test of rewinding and seeing if the audio drops out the second time through in the same places. Next time I have a dropout I'll have to try that.

My issue right now is that despite it being addressed in the release notes, I still lose connection to the server when playing shuffled music. I think it's still an unsupported feature, but it would be nice if they could get this fixed for good.

Steve
HR20-700
Panasonic PT 52LCX15 connected via component
Marantz 5500 connected via optical cable

#19 OFFLINE   legacydoor

legacydoor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

I had a complete lockup last night and had to RBR. This happened right after a recorded show would not play or even FF over black to real show. Have had audio and video dropouts as well that come and go in severity depending on version but it has never gone away .

I'm really getting tired of making excuses to my wife for the HR20. Some updates have been better than others but it's becoming clear they can't find a way to solve some of these issues. I'm starting to wonder if it is in fact a internal hardware issue. "D", it's getting awfully hard to be patient much longer.

My HR10 had an issue once in a while but nothing like this.

Clock is ticking "D"

#20 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

It's funny, with each previous release at or around day 3 funky things would start happening. With this release the opposite is happening. It seems to be more stable now than when I first downloaded it.

No lost recordings in days. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...