Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20: 0x120 - Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
418 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   Tmax88

Tmax88

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

Awful night of "recording" last night. My Name IS Earl, The Office, Grey's Anatomy and CSI did not record. I guess my unit took the night off last night.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   phillipm

phillipm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

With release 0x120 getting more black screens on playback from list than any previous release. Happens with both HR-20's. New CSI-Miami got black screen - did reset - got to access show - then it DISAPPEARED - history says is was deleted. I am starting to lose confidence with Directv and I have been with them since 1999. CSI-Miami now set to record on my Verizon FIOS DVR. It's time for Directv to clean up its act.

#403 OFFLINE   davidi

davidi

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

Since 120
1. It has happend 2 times now - I had to reboot after pressing play on "Jay Leno" and the box hung.
2. The box goes into screen saver durring play back.

#404 OFFLINE   jdmac29

jdmac29

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:52 AM

My wife turned on dvr for my son to watch Curios George that we had already recorded. She went to list and clicked on the program to play and the screen went blanked. She tried to turn off tv and dvr but dvr stayed on and normally I usually have blank screen but this time is was white fuzzies( like trying to use an analog tuner with no channel info broadcasting) I am hooked up with hdmi.
I did a reboot and all was working, we missed the lost and american idol.

#405 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

Just wanted to pass this on to those frustrated with their HR20's since 0120 firmware was released...

Having reviewed the last 100 or so posts in this thread - as an FYI - there have been several interim beta releases that have been tested, and I suspect that when the next national reelase comes out, a significant number of the "issues" reported from 120 will be resolved.

Very good progress is being made. Cautious optimism - once one of the most recent beta versions is tested a bit more and feedback confirmed as solid, it may become the next national release that is automatically sent out some time in the near future, so that everyone can enjoy their DVR's with many less hiccups. As usual, a formal announcment will come out when that time comes.

I mainly wanted to let folks know things are looking up.

#406 OFFLINE   spolaski

spolaski

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

Awful night of "recording" last night. My Name IS Earl, The Office, Grey's Anatomy and CSI did not record. I guess my unit took the night off last night.

FWIW (which is very little) I recorded all the above (except Grey's) last night with no misses. What a drag for you, though.
HR20-700
Panasonic PT 52LCX15 connected via component
Marantz 5500 connected via optical cable

#407 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

Checked To Do List and ER (NBC mpeg4 HD) was still there and listed as yesterday. Checking the info for it, it says, "This episode All first run episodes are set to record." Which makes no sense.

Does not show up in my playlist.

Recorded fine on my R10.

I thought this release was pretty good except now I've had 4 major issues with it.
- Matt

#408 OFFLINE   hartwise

hartwise

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

Had my first problem with 120 today. Last night I recorded Earl, Office, Grey's Anatomy, ER and Survivor with no problems. Checked all of them and watched Earl and Survivor (deleted both after watching). My HR-20 was put in standby (turned off) overnight.

Today when I turned it on I had the Black Screen problem and could only view my local MPEG 4 channels. All other channels I tried were black. I tried the RBR and nothing happened. Then unplugged for 20 seconds and plugged back in, still nothing but the blue power button came on for a few seconds. I then unplugged for 15 minutes and the blue power button came on and went off again. I was getting ready to call DirecTv when the circle of blue lights came on and the unit started going through the setup process. All is working fine now and I did not lose any recordings.

This is the first problem I've had with a refurbished unit that replaced the first, new unit I had which had a bad optical output. I've read where others are leaving the HR-20s on all the time and are having fewer reboots. Is there a consensus that this is the best way to utilize the HR-20? If so I'll try that from now on.

#409 OFFLINE   mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

Just want to add that this is the first download that made things worse for me. Recorded my first total hour of black last night. Previously, got Zero length recordings... progress means it now will search diligently through a blank show looking for content!
I have a question I haven't spotted in this HR20 thread... anyone see a "searching for authorized content" message. A recent attempt to record an NBA game on the HD RSN (96 here in south FL) got about 5 minutes of the broadcast, then black background with that message.
Ideas?

#410 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

First RBR I've ever had to do. Went to watch ER recorded yesterday. Clicked on 'Play' and the small window stopped showing live TV and went black, then the box froze. The screen stayed on the show info screen. I've had my receiver for about a month and a half now. First RBR. As I waited for the forever it seems it takes this box to reboot, I kept getting more and more pissed thinking that this show and others would be screwed up. The only other problem I have had with this receiver was IKD and every show I recored on a Thursday night; 11b. Luckily when it reboot ER played fine.

#411 OFFLINE   xerxes

xerxes

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

There are a some issues that I am sure have been discussed before but I think are quite important and should be fixed, they were present in 0x120, and still in 0x12A

1) Series Link severe flaws
  • In the Prioritizer, when a show is listed as "No Episodes", it doesn't let you view the episodes as it did in the Season Pass in Tivo. This makes it hard to confirm why something isn't recording.
  • Series Links sporadically stop scheduling, I check the prioritizer and it says "No Episodes", I can do a search for the same show and sure enough there is an episode there on the same channel with no conflicts. The SL will be setup as "Both" but does not pick up the episode. I have to rebuild the SL and then it works. This happened most recently with ER.

• If I select a show for a Series Link and it has conflicts on both Tuners and I choose not to cancel the conflicting shows but continue to build the SL it does not schedule ANY recordings, the Series Link is set to "Both" and I am able to clearly locate subsequent showing on the same channel that do not have conflicts. For example, I did this today with a show that had conflicts, the SL then showed no episodes in the Prioritizer, I went back in and cancelled the series link, selected the same episode coming on a few days later on the same channel, created a new SL and this time it showed 1 episode in the prioritizer.

2) Less critical search flaws
  • Searches require the word "THE" in front of a shows name like "The king of queens" instead of just being able to search for "king of queens".
  • Shows like America's funniest home videos require the apostrophe but there is no way to put in an apostrophe.

#412 OFFLINE   tstarn

tstarn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

Had a nostalgic bout with the good old BSOD today, as a recording of Poker after Dark (MPEG2/NYC) on NBC produced a frozen time bar across the bottom, stuck at 0:00, and no amount of trick play button pushing or other workarounds worked it loose. Finally, RBR'd, and when the reboot completed, show had disappeared from My List.

Last time I had one of these was in October. So despite all the "fixes," they haven't solved that one, at least not on my HR20. In fact, Chase Carey's comments aside the other day, they have not fixed the entire broken population of HR20s via software updates. I thought this bug was exterminated 5 months ago. Wrong.
HDTV: Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma, Sony KE-32TS2 HD plasma
Directv Receivers: HR-20, R-10 (2), H-20
Hitachi and HR20 connected via HDMI (direct)
Sony and H20 connected via component

HT: Kenwood 8070 7.1 THX-certified receiver
Speakers:
PSB Image T55 (Main), PSB Image C40 (center), Image S50 (Surrounds).
DVD Players: Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-ES10B), Sony DVP-NS75H (upconverting).

#413 OFFLINE   tstarn

tstarn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:45 PM

Just wanted to pass this on to those frustrated with their HR20's since 0120 firmware was released...

Having reviewed the last 100 or so posts in this thread - as an FYI - there have been several interim beta releases that have been tested, and I suspect that when the next national reelase comes out, a significant number of the "issues" reported from 120 will be resolved.

Very good progress is being made. Cautious optimism - once one of the most recent beta versions is tested a bit more and feedback confirmed as solid, it may become the next national release that is automatically sent out some time in the near future, so that everyone can enjoy their DVR's with many less hiccups. As usual, a formal announcment will come out when that time comes.

You have to be kidding, right? Back to topic.
HDTV: Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma, Sony KE-32TS2 HD plasma
Directv Receivers: HR-20, R-10 (2), H-20
Hitachi and HR20 connected via HDMI (direct)
Sony and H20 connected via component

HT: Kenwood 8070 7.1 THX-certified receiver
Speakers:
PSB Image T55 (Main), PSB Image C40 (center), Image S50 (Surrounds).
DVD Players: Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-ES10B), Sony DVP-NS75H (upconverting).

#414 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

You have to be kidding, right? Back to topic.

No. Must everything positive be met with your negative. I already know the answer, don't bother. :rolleyes: The topic is 0120.

...and yes, there is good progress being made, whether the naysayers like it or not. The most recent CE build is a quantum leap from 0120. :) We should know soon if it or the next one goes National to replace 0120.

#415 OFFLINE   chutta

chutta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

My HR20 with the forced 0x120 download strangely starts playing newly recorded programs ~1 minute into the program. The first minute is still recorded and I am able to rewind to start the program from the beginning. This seems to happen with nearly every scheduled recording.

#416 OFFLINE   mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

I musta jinxed myself... after the last post my receiver refused to accept commands from the remote. This box knows I posted a critical comment and it is punishing me!
Tried all sorts of reboots and three other remotes. Finally called D* and they're sending me a new box! Now, of course, the awaited download will come and fix it! I can only hope.

Update: Tried the change to RF and it worked... however change back to IR didn't work. I'll live with the RF until new box comes. Thanks to your forum and search function!

#417 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:01 PM

Humm, I thought the purpose of the CE forum was to keep chatter such as this out of the normal forum. :shrug:
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#418 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:12 AM

Don't know the answer to your question, but as an employee / engineer at a Fortune 500 we are beng asked to contribute positive feedback on forums / products we create / support when we feel that the next gen release has been taken home, tucked under our bed, throughly beaten under beta and ready for prime time. Hefty bonus incentives for engineers that get it fixed.

Allot of our outsourcing is being brought back home. Two years ago our company laid off 50% of the work force and outsourced. We went in with 4000 defects and when the QA numbers where finally reviewed, we came out with 4000 new defects but granted, 4000 defects where repaired and 4000 new defects where introduced.

I guess we will have to wait and see with D*.

#419 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

0x12a is now the national release.
So this thread is closed and unstuck
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall