Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording two programs at once

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bluto17

Bluto17

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hi. Forum and DVR newbie, and recent HR20 leaser here. I apologize for not being able to find this question with search, although I'm sure it's been asked....

When I schedule two programs to record at once - 'Heroes' and '24', for example - my HR20 doesn't record both. It will only record one. My prioritizer doesn't seem to have an impact. Last week, 'Heroes' was recorded, but '24' was not. This week '24' was recorded, but 'Heroes' was not

If I am recording two programs at once, do I need to be watching one of the recorded programs while it is recording? (ie, I cannot watch a third program?) Does it matter if I'm recording a program from OTA as a opposed to an LIL from D*? I'm guessing my problem lies more with 'operator error' then the HR20 itself.

If there is an existing thread with these types of answers, I'll gladly read it.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

If you have two satellite connections to the two satellite inputs on the HR20 (one to each tuner), you should be able to simultaneously...

1. Record one show while watching a different show live.
2. Record two shows while watching one of those two shows.
3. Record two shows while watching something else previously recorded.
4. Record two shows while not watching anything.

If you also have an over the air antenna connected, then either or both of those can be from an over the air source as opposed to a satellite source.

If you have only one of the two satellite inputs connected, then you can record or watch at most one satellite source. If you have one satellite connection and an OTA connection, you could still do two, but only if one of them was from an ota source.

Let us know a bit more about your connections, and perhaps we can offer better advice.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   Bluto17

Bluto17

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:49 AM

Thanks, Carl! That helped a lot.

I have two satellite connections and one OTA connection.

I'm guessing one of my juniors is watching Nickelodeon when I'm trying to record two shows, thus cancelling one of the recordings.

Does a warning pop up when you are about to record multiple shows, but your STB is set to a third channel? Or does a recording get cancelled without a warnign being flashed on the TV?

#4 OFFLINE   dallascontractor

dallascontractor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

Are you trying to watch a 3rd show while two others are recording? If you read manual about three show at once the may be your problem. If you had a tivo it is the same setup in recording and watching except DLB.
Directv Since 1995
(1) Panasonic PT-50DL54
(1) DVD-V880 DX
(1) Directv HR10-250 6.3b Tivo
2 HR20 x14b CR
OTA CM 4228
Zinwell WB68
Cutting Edge When Possible

#5 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:58 AM

I'm guessing one of my juniors is watching Nickelodeon when I'm trying to record two shows, thus cancelling one of the recordings.

Does a warning pop up when you are about to record multiple shows, but your STB is set to a third channel? Or does a recording get cancelled without a warnign being flashed on the TV?

If it's recording two things and you try to change the channel (say the kids trying to go to Nick and watch Sponge Bob) then you will be presented with a warning that it would need to cancel one of the recordings to switch channels (just like Tivo would). So your young ones would need to choose to cancel something.

Solution? Get them their own receiver. :)

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:00 AM

If I'm watching a channel and it's time for my two [other channels] recordings to start:
A message pops up telling me [asking] to "let it" change channels to record or to "not" and not record it.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...