Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Record and Watch Live TV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gjohn28

gjohn28

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

Really stupid question but...just had my Slimline installed along with a second line to my HR20. How do I record a program and watch live TV on another channel at the same time!!??

By the way, had an Ironwood installation. The techs were great. Very friendly and were done with the installation (5LNB dish and second line to HR20) in under 2hrs.
HR20-700
5LNB Slimline
Samsung 42" DLP HDMI & component
Toshiba DVD component

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

Really stupid question but...just had my Slimline installed along with a second line to my HR20. How do I record a program and watch live TV on another channel at the same time!!??

By the way, had an Ironwood installation. The techs were great. Very friendly and were done with the installation (5LNB dish and second line to HR20) in under 2hrs.

Just do it :)

Tell it to record (go to guide, highlight the show you want to record, then hit the Record (orange) button on your remote ONCE. The show will record IN THE BACKGROUND TUNER.

Now, since your other tuner is not busy, use it any way you like...channel surf, whatever...it won't interfere with the activity (recording) you have scheduled on the other tuner.

Every time you tell the HR20 to record (and nothing else is scheduled to record), that recording goes to the BACKGROUND. The remaining tuner can record another program, (in which case you can no longer channel surf), or just be used to view other live programming.

It's all automagic. You have dual tuners, but not dual live buffers, so you can't easily switch back and forth to/from what you are recording.

You can record at the same time:

2 Satellite channels
1 sat, 1 OTA
2 OTA

Ignore the manual that says 3...it's wrong.

You CAN record two different programs at the same time AND watch an existing recording (one you already recorded)

Hope this helps.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

Don't get my HR20 hooked up 'til next week, but I know this will come in handy...thanks for the clear explanation.

#4 OFFLINE   gjohn28

gjohn28

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

Just do it :)

Tell it to record (go to guide, highlight the show you want to record, then hit the Record (orange) button on your remote ONCE. The show will record IN THE BACKGROUND TUNER.

Now, since your other tuner is not busy, use it any way you like...channel surf, whatever...it won't interfere with the activity (recording) you have scheduled on the other tuner.

Every time you tell the HR20 to record (and nothing else is scheduled to record), that recording goes to the BACKGROUND. The remaining tuner can record another program, (in which case you can no longer channel surf), or just be used to view other live programming.

It's all automagic. You have dual tuners, but not dual live buffers, so you can't easily switch back and forth to/from what you are recording.

You can record at the same time:

2 Satellite channels
1 sat, 1 OTA
2 OTA

Ignore the manual that says 3...it's wrong.

You CAN record two different programs at the same time AND watch an existing recording (one you already recorded)

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does help. Thank you very much!
HR20-700
5LNB Slimline
Samsung 42" DLP HDMI & component
Toshiba DVD component

Protected By... spam firewall...And...