Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR20 questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Twister18

Twister18

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:49 PM

Just got my HR20 after a few months with faulty HR10. I looked through the Tips and Survival papers and still could not understand a few simple things.

How do you record a program and watch something else? The way I understand it is the 20 has dual tuners but not buffers.

I used the 30 second slip button which is pretty cool but is there a cheat to get the clock on the pic like the HR10?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Great forum you have here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:52 PM

I don't know about getting the clock, but if you start recording one program and change channels you effectively switch tuners.

#3 OFFLINE   dallascontractor

dallascontractor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

I have the HR10-250 still. What clock? If it is recordings padding you can not add time in minutes, skips up to 3 hours. Just pick a show to record and then pick a nother in guide to watch, both sat , both ota if you ahe one, one each sat and ota.
Directv Since 1995
(1) Panasonic PT-50DL54
(1) DVD-V880 DX
(1) Directv HR10-250 6.3b Tivo
2 HR20 x14b CR
OTA CM 4228
Zinwell WB68
Cutting Edge When Possible

#4 OFFLINE   Twister18

Twister18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

I don't know about getting the clock, but if you start recording one program and change channels you effectively switch tuners.

I had set as series for CSI which started at 7 pm. When I tried to watch something else it asked if I wanted to cancel the recording?

#5 OFFLINE   Twister18

Twister18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

I have the HR10-250 still. What clock? If it is recordings padding you can not add time in minutes, skips up to 3 hours. Just pick a show to record and then pick a nother in guide to watch, both sat , both ota if you ahe one, one each sat and ota.

The clock is a trick with the remote: select-play-select-9-select.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

I had set as series for CSI which started at 7 pm. When I tried to watch something else it asked if I wanted to cancel the recording?

Are you saying you can't recored two show?
You can't record two and watch a third.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Twister18

Twister18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

Are you saying you can't recored two show?
You can't record two and watch a third.

I just want to record one show and watch something else at the same time. I had TNA set to record at 8. I was gonna let the wife watch something but it popped up and said to switch one tuner to watch something else. I punched in the 229 for HGTV and it cancelled my recording. It is acting as though I have a single tuner.

#8 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

Another simple new user question:

Is there a way to go straight to the guide without having to hit guide twice? Going to the filter screen first is just plain annoying.

#9 OFFLINE   xerxes

xerxes

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

Another simple new user question:

Is there a way to go straight to the guide without having to hit guide twice? Going to the filter screen first is just plain annoying.

Unfortunately there is no way to do this to my knowledge. Some people have talked about using programmable remotes and programming the 2 clicks in as one single button press as a work around.

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

Alas, I too miss the clock, but can live without it.

As for two tuners, when the HR20 starts up or at anytime it thinks it only has 1 tuner with a working satellite connection, then it turns into a 1 tuner DVR. Alas, to enable 2 tuners again you need to reboot--but I suggest you double check the connections first. Perhaps, you could swap them to test them before rebooting.

Another thing you could do is use the signal meters to test the satellite strengths on both tuners, make sure they both see the dish.

Good luck,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#11 OFFLINE   Twister18

Twister18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

Alas, I too miss the clock, but can live without it.

As for two tuners, when the HR20 starts up or at anytime it thinks it only has 1 tuner with a working satellite connection, then it turns into a 1 tuner DVR. Alas, to enable 2 tuners again you need to reboot--but I suggest you double check the connections first. Perhaps, you could swap them to test them before rebooting.

Another thing you could do is use the signal meters to test the satellite strengths on both tuners, make sure they both see the dish.

Good luck,
Tom

The satellite sees tuner 1 just fine but I am getting nothing from Tuner 2. Do I need to have the cables replaced or just switch the sat 1 and 2 cables in the back of the DVR?

#12 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

The satellite sees tuner 1 just fine but I am getting nothing from Tuner 2. Do I need to have the cables replaced or just switch the sat 1 and 2 cables in the back of the DVR?

Try switching. Also try switching the BBC (grey boxes) in back. Sometimes the connections can be loose, sometimes a cable can be bad.

Did Directv install the cables? if you can't get reliable connections, you can usually call them back to check them.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

I just want to record one show and watch something else at the same time. I had TNA set to record at 8. I was gonna let the wife watch something but it popped up and said to switch one tuner to watch something else. I punched in the 229 for HGTV and it cancelled my recording. It is acting as though I have a single tuner.

As Tom said; it sounds like your box only thinks it has one connection to the SAT. You need to have two coax cables from the dish. If you do then you need to go into the setup menu & see if both are working. There has been a rash of bad second tuners recently so make sure they both are on line. A red button reset [under the card access door on the front panel] can cure it, if it isn't defective.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Twister18

Twister18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

Thanx Tom and old school!!

#15 OFFLINE   Twister18

Twister18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

I tried switching the cables but no good. I have a tech coming out Monday. Thank you all for your help.

#16 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:59 AM

Unfortunately there is no way to do this to my knowledge. Some people have talked about using programmable remotes and programming the 2 clicks in as one single button press as a work around.

No way to do it with the factory remote, that's for sure. However, many after market remotes will allow you to program a "double button guide press" as a single button press. Sounds like an ice skating move, doesn't it?

If you want more information, let me know. I use a Harmony 676 remote.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#17 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

I tried switching the cables but no good. I have a tech coming out Monday. Thank you all for your help.

Just catching up on this thread... I had an issue with my HR-20 not seeing Tuner 2. After 2 RBR's (red button reset - under the front panel) the problem went away. Have you tried that?

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#18 OFFLINE   Twister18

Twister18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

Just catching up on this thread... I had an issue with my HR-20 not seeing Tuner 2. After 2 RBR's (red button reset - under the front panel) the problem went away. Have you tried that?

I tried it once so I will give it another shot.

#19 OFFLINE   fancydancy

fancydancy

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

Usually D* installers turn on the box before connecting both satellite signals. What happens is the HR20 attempts to detect the satellite at startup so if nothing is detected Tuner 2 will be disabled. A simple reboot should activate Tuner 2. If not, try switching the cables and reboot ... if the problem is still Tuner 2 then you probably have a bad unit that needs replacing, if the problem is now on Tuner 1 then you probably have a problem with the dish/multiswitch/lnb.

I tried it once so I will give it another shot.

#20 OFFLINE   Twister18

Twister18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

Usually D* installers turn on the box before connecting both satellite signals. What happens is the HR20 attempts to detect the satellite at startup so if nothing is detected Tuner 2 will be disabled. A simple reboot should activate Tuner 2. If not, try switching the cables and reboot ... if the problem is still Tuner 2 then you probably have a bad unit that needs replacing, if the problem is now on Tuner 1 then you probably have a problem with the dish/multiswitch/lnb.

When I switched the cables the only picture I got was pixelated and so I switched it back.

This can only be my luck as I went through 5 HR10-250's until they sent me the 20-700. Its fitting that it was a refurb as well. :hurah:

spam firewall